Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:03:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Idea's Sicker than Yours  (Read 1087 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 06:36:59 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2012, 06:49:27 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Consider the posts in this thread as a thought experiment in creative marketing to get our creative juices flowing.

There's only one simply rule to consider when opting to post to this thread. Your idea does not need to be practical, but must be capable of happening, therefore tossing a coin out of the ISS window while orbiting above Sudan would not qualifying as adding value to this thread.

I'll start, with the promise that my future ideas will be better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Put on YouTube a video showing a giant Bitcoin rolling down a hill, mountain, ski slope, etc. After a few seconds in of watching it roll, you see people of all ilks chasing the coin--trying to catch it.

(your idea need not be video related, e.g., billboard, barn advertising, etc.)

Now it's your turn. What's the craziest idea you can come with for a Bitcoin marketing campaign that's not outside the realm of possibility of being produced if there were an unlimited budget.

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 07:07:05 PM

with unlimited budget no need to market anything, just start giving out bitcoins Wink
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 08:24:28 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2012, 08:41:58 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

with unlimited budget no need to market anything, just start giving out bitcoins Wink

Not exactly what I was thinking when I stipulated an unlimited budget, but your post is still valid, albeit it has been presented a couple other times earlier on this BBS (FYI: I type BBS in remembrance of PinkiePie).

But upon thinking about your idea, I Googled this: https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22how+would+you+market%22

Then, amazingly, found the following, though wasn't looking for it: http://dittoeffect.com/how-would-you-market-alcohol-if-advertising-it-is-prohibited/

Any other thinking-outside-the-mining-rig marketing ploys?

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 09:00:14 PM

Not exactly what I was thinking when I stipulated an unlimited budget, but your post is still valid, albeit it has been presented a couple other times earlier on this BBS (FYI: I type BBS in remembrance of PinkiePie).

But upon thinking about your idea, I Googled this: https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22how+would+you+market%22

Then, amazingly, found the following, though wasn't looking for it: http://dittoeffect.com/how-would-you-market-alcohol-if-advertising-it-is-prohibited/

Any other thinking-outside-the-mining-rig marketing ploys?

~Bruno~

Then I found this: http://www.dailyhandout.com/  They could easily incorporate into their business model the giving away of free coins, similar to what the Bitcoin Facet does.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 03:12:32 AM

A guerrilla flash mob during next year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Several hundred Bitcoin Stormtroopers, all dressed in matching orange jumpsuits divert the SpongeBob SquarePants float as it is in the marshaling area, scare off the SBSP line handlers and release their float, replacing it with ours which features an enormous inflated Bitcoin. Then we enter the parade route as if nothing is amiss, while our agit-prop troops hand-deliver our manifesto explaining why we have brought btc to the world's attention to all the talking head anchors who are providing color commentary on the parade. As we reach the main reviewing stand we open the secret valves in our balloon and release copious amounts of nitrous oxide all over the parade, making sure everyone is having such a hilarious time, nobody will think to apprehend us. At the end of the parade route, we attach a mannequin dressed in a salaryman outfit to the float, carrying forged identity documents as Satoshi Nakamoto, and release the float whilst causing a commotion regarding the ascension of our dear friend and founder, Satoshi to the heavens.

Not only do we score massive media for the float stunt, but we get the whole world involved in the search for Satoshi, which will bring lots of inquiring minds over to our side of the force.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 03:24:45 AM

A block-chain communal living complex.

All tenants, as well as payments and community building projects, are verified by other tenants within the complex.  Deviants from the system are "forked" and tossed out.  It'd be like a neighborhood watch group acting as the structure for the community itself.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 03:42:11 AM

A guerrilla flash mob during next year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Several hundred Bitcoin Stormtroopers, all dressed in matching orange jumpsuits divert the SpongeBob SquarePants float as it is in the marshaling area, scare off the SBSP line handlers and release their float, replacing it with ours which features an enormous inflated Bitcoin. Then we enter the parade route as if nothing is amiss, while our agit-prop troops hand-deliver our manifesto explaining why we have brought btc to the world's attention to all the talking head anchors who are providing color commentary on the parade. As we reach the main reviewing stand we open the secret valves in our balloon and release copious amounts of nitrous oxide all over the parade, making sure everyone is having such a hilarious time, nobody will think to apprehend us. At the end of the parade route, we attach a mannequin dressed in a salaryman outfit to the float, carrying forged identity documents as Satoshi Nakamoto, and release the float whilst causing a commotion regarding the ascension of our dear friend and founder, Satoshi to the heavens.

Not only do we score massive media for the float stunt, but we get the whole world involved in the search for Satoshi, which will bring lots of inquiring minds over to our side of the force.

You forgot something! I'm not sure what it is, but you forgot something.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 04:39:07 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2012, 05:02:57 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Honestly people, I'd be willing to bet someone found something useful for bitcoin that might NOT be currency related..

Such as DRM or Voting...  it most likely is something that it's being adopted for that has nothing to do with what it was initially made for.

I'm sure you're going to love this idea:

When a loved one passes to the next life, they may possibly need a currency of sorts. Why not bitcoins? Develop a site that charges a fee to have coins sent to an address that no one can ever rob from. It'll be safer than putting a $100 bill in a casket.

Or a person can contribute to a famed person who passed, e.g., Elvis, Michael Jackson, Ryan Dunn, etc. Once a year, a top ten list is published showing which currently has the most in the afterlife.

Or a person who knows that their days are numbered, covert most of their wealth to Bitcoin because they don't want any of their heirs to get any of it. The service provides them a fake vanity address and PUFF!, it's gone. Or that same person wants to make sure they're able to spend it when they're gone--in the Afterlife. Now you can take it with you!!!

The fee will only be 3.14% max (think 'circle of life').

A fake vanity address could look like this: 1ElvisLives1t5SFjXXZBcF2MkXXAah4ac and where ever there is a double X (XX), the user must put in a two digit number. There would be no keys or passwords created to retrieve the coins once submitted. Blockexplorer will always show that they are still resting there, never to be touched.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2012, 03:45:49 PM

I really love this idea!  Especially the catch phrase for the project "You can take it with you!"

We can even prove it:

Given an arbitrary valid public key addess, like 1BurtWagnersAfterLifeFundx...x where x...x contains the proper "checksum" you can, through trial and error, calculate an actual key pair that would produce it given an infinte time to do the calculation.  Everyone knows that we will have infinite time in heaven so you will be able to do the calculation!

In fact you don't have to limit yourself to just one address.  You can send your funds to a poem or a favorite passage of a book.  This has alread been done at least once.  The block chain currently contains the following set of public key addresses:

Code:
1But1DontWantToGoAmongMadxxxzDmyW6
1Peop1eA1iceRemarkedxxxxxxxxxuLyKu
12ohYouCantHe1pThatxxxxxxxxxzCjyMs
19SaidTheCatWereA11MadHerexxyTvEir
191mMadYoureMadxxxxxxxxxxxxxvwA4Up
1HowDoYouKnow1mMadSaidA1icexxZA4Nr
12YouMustBeSaidTheCatxxxxxxxz2tFa2
12orYouWou1dntHaveComeHerexxvtHbqq

Whoever put this there must be planning on claiming their funds in the after life!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2012, 04:21:45 PM

I really love this idea!  Especially the catch phrase for the project "You can take it with you!"

We can even prove it:

Given an arbitrary valid public key addess, like 1BurtWagnersAfterLifeFundx...x where x...x contains the proper "checksum" you can, through trial and error, calculate an actual key pair that would produce it given an infinte time to do the calculation.  Everyone knows that we will have infinite time in heaven so you will be able to do the calculation!

In fact you don't have to limit yourself to just one address.  You can send your funds to a poem or a favorite passage of a book.  This has alread been done at least once.  The block chain currently contains the following set of public key addresses:

Code:
1But1DontWantToGoAmongMadxxxzDmyW6
1Peop1eA1iceRemarkedxxxxxxxxxuLyKu
12ohYouCantHe1pThatxxxxxxxxxzCjyMs
19SaidTheCatWereA11MadHerexxyTvEir
191mMadYoureMadxxxxxxxxxxxxxvwA4Up
1HowDoYouKnow1mMadSaidA1icexxZA4Nr
12YouMustBeSaidTheCatxxxxxxxz2tFa2
12orYouWou1dntHaveComeHerexxvtHbqq

Whoever put this there must be planning on claiming their funds in the after life!

L.I.B.! Call me Ishmael! 1CallmeIshmaelxxxxxxxxxxxxbtc2MD

Or fund a song by a Rap Artist who recently passed. Once one person does it, the flock follows. They'll even wear shirts at the next Rap Concert showing their support for a passing Rapper. On the shirt could be pic of the artist, the lyric, and an address of where to send the coins.

On a related note, guess which famous artist passed away 25 years ago this year? I'll give a grace period to land the answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9saX9cF248 
...and broadcast live via satellite around the world on January 14, 1973. It was watched by over one billion viewers worldwide and remains the most watched broadcast by an individual entertainer in television history.
altuin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 04:31:14 AM

Take over the US government in a coup and use your newly instated power to forcefully take over the UN. Then impose Bitcoin as the only valid legal tender and allow exchanges from regular currencies for a short amount of time. Burn the $$ all up and there you go
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2012, 04:50:21 PM

Take over the US government in a coup and use your newly instated power to forcefully take over the UN. Then impose Bitcoin as the only valid legal tender and allow exchanges from regular currencies for a short amount of time. Burn the $$ all up and there you go

I like how you think! (don't quote me on that!!!)

~Bruno~ NOT!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: