Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 06:59:25 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manual Mining?  (Read 1829 times)
legolouman

Activity: 448

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:47:36 AM

I've been thinking, instead of having a device do out mining, couldn't we mine ourselves? My understanding of mining is that the device basically brute forces in the sha256 or something like that. Couldn't one do that themselves, but just typing in random characters hoping it works? I'm open to insight, but I think that this could be a low budget mining solution.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZedZedNova

Activity: 172

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:59:39 AM

but just typing in random characters hoping it works? I'm open to insight, but I think that this could be a low budget mining solution.

Given the complexity of the double sha256, this might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

- Zed

legolouman

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:16:12 AM

but just typing in random characters hoping it works? I'm open to insight, but I think that this could be a low budget mining solution.

Given the complexity of the double sha256, this might help:

- Zed

Exactly what I'm thinking. Technically speaking, that is what a video card, processor, or FPGA does, just at inhuman speeds. What I had in mind was more of a planned approach. 'Man, x hasn't been used, let's try that!'

I'd start work on it, but would it be as simple as changing a mining program, or bitcoind or something?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:47:29 AM

- Zed

Exactly what I'm thinking. Technically speaking, that is what a video card, processor, or FPGA does, just at inhuman speeds. What I had in mind was more of a planned approach. 'Man, x hasn't been used, let's try that!'

I'd start work on it, but would it be as simple as changing a mining program, or bitcoind or something?

I don't think you understand how mining works.

You aren't looking for a random hash you are looking for a nonce which causes the block header hash to be less than the target.

Sure you could write a miner which returns random garbage to a pool.  They (all) will promptly ban you as your reject rate will essentially be 100%.

A hash by itself is useful.  It isn't like you hand over a hash 123....999 to the network and they give you a block reward.

You hand over a COMPLETE BLOCK HEADER with a hash meeting the target and the block is accepted by the network. Random hashes of nothing are worthless.  Sure eventually you will find one which is small enough but it is STILL WORTHLESS.  It doesn't correspond to any valid block header.

legolouman

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 05:53:45 PM

- Zed

I don't think you understand how mining works.

You aren't looking for a random hash you are looking for a nonce which causes the block header hash to be less than the target.

Sure you could write a miner which returns random garbage to a pool.  They (all) will promptly ban you as your reject rate will essentially be 100%.

A hash by itself is useful.  It isn't like you hand over a hash 123....999 to the network and they give you a block reward.

You hand over a COMPLETE BLOCK HEADER with a hash meeting the target and the block is accepted by the network. Random hashes of nothing are worthless.  Sure eventually you will find one which is small enough but it is STILL WORTHLESS.  It doesn't correspond to any valid block header.

I see what you are getting at. My understanding of mining was wrong, I thought it was as simple as finding a random 256 char line. I will abandon this idea.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.