Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:24:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How long before Bitcoinica takes a permanent dirt nap?
Never: It's the greatest thing since sliced bread, tastes great and less filling with no bitter aftertaste.
By the end of the first week of February 2012.
By the end of the first week of April 2012.
By the end of the first week of July 2012.
Not long after the Yakuza has finally sold all their bitcoins.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica: When does it implode?  (Read 7151 times)
714 (OP)

Activity: 438
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:31:30 PM

do i hear a n00b crying?

LOL, aren't you just precious? Only small-brained teenage dipshits use the term noob, much less spell it n00b. I suppose I should add a poll choice just for the mentally 12 and under and set. That would be 31337, wouldn't it kiddies?

its 1337, you n00b

There I am testing the monkeys again, we have a winner. I thought only small-brained teenage dipshits would seriously care. Thanks for speaking up for the concerns of older cases of arrested development such as yourself.

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:51:35 PM

do i hear a n00b crying?

LOL, aren't you just precious? Only small-brained teenage dipshits use the term noob, much less spell it n00b. I suppose I should add a poll choice just for the mentally 12 and under and set. That would be 31337, wouldn't it kiddies?

its 1337, you n00b

There I am testing the monkeys again, we have a winner. I thought only small-brained teenage dipshits would seriously care. Thanks for speaking up for the concerns of older cases of arrested development such as yourself.

BABY'S STILL CRYING!
you do know that you are the stupider person here, right? we are only having fun making BABY CRY! Tongue

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:58:07 PM

Never?

Why it should implode? Especially now that it is having huge success?

The fact that you cannot long what you want on them doesn't means they are "broken". It's like saying your internet connection is broken because you are limited in speed and you cannot download faster. Or the hard disk is broken because it only allow you to put 2TB of data on them (it's a 2TB one of course)

You obviously speak from a rich set of metaphors built from a broad life experience. I am awed by your attempt at reasoning. Awed.

Never mind that such an act by a licensed broker-dealer in the U.S. or U.K. could result in shutdown by the relevant regulatory agency. Of course, from the viewpoint of an investor in Bitcoinica it could certainly be construed as a technical act of bankruptcy, which would give them some out.

I don't know what the equivalent legal requirements would be in Singapore, would the operators of Bitcoinica be caned if they couldn't pay off the right officials?

You seem to be confused as to what and whom you are dealing with. This is a BITCOIN forum...you aren't going to find many people to back your demand for regulation and government nannies to protect your pocketbook.

What is the point of this thread? Do you want to be cool and troll the hell out of Zhoutong like cypherdoc? Cause you aren't very good at it...

If you don't like it, make a better one. No one gives a flying fuck what you think, our only concern is what you do.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:04:43 PM

Never?

The fact that you cannot long what you want on them doesn't means they are "broken". It's like saying your internet connection is broken because you are limited in speed and you cannot download faster. Or the hard disk is broken because it only allow you to put 2TB of data on them (it's a 2TB one of course)

You obviously speak from a rich set of metaphors built from a broad life experience. I am awed by your attempt at reasoning. Awed.

Never mind that such an act by a licensed broker-dealer in the U.S. or U.K. could result in shutdown by the relevant regulatory agency. Of course, from the viewpoint of an investor in Bitcoinica it could certainly be construed as a technical act of bankruptcy, which would give them some out.

I don't know what the equivalent legal requirements would be in Singapore, would the operators of Bitcoinica be caned if they couldn't pay off the right officials?

You seem to be confused as to what and whom you are dealing with. This is a BITCOIN forum...you aren't going to find many people to back your demand for regulation and government nannies to protect your pocketbook.

What is the point of this thread? Do you want to be cool and troll the hell out of Zhoutong like cypherdoc? Cause you aren't very good at it...

If you don't like it, make a better one. No one gives a flying fuck what you think, our only concern is what you do.

I think ppl are learning alot from the pointed questions i'm asking, the exploits i'm proposing, and the liquidations (aka ass whuppings) i caused from that 3.5 to 3.9 ramp i executed 12 d or so ago.

if thats trolling, the continuous stream of updates (aka changes in the rules) being produced by Zhou don't support your accusation.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:07:00 PM

Never?

I think ppl are learning alot from the pointed questions i'm asking, the exploits i'm proposing, and the liquidations i caused from that 3.5 to 3.9 ramp i executed 12 d or so ago.

if thats trolling, the continuous stream of updates (aka changes in the rules) being produced by Zhou don't support your accusation.
Again: this is the bitcoin forum, accusations are getting thrown around, just for fun!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Shashi Yakuza

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:16:28 PM

Here's my question for Bitcoinica

Hypothetical: the majority (let's say 90%) of bitcoinica users are long in the market (buying) and are leveraged close to the max (let's say 4 to 1).

From where do the currency funds come to fill those leveraged orders?

Same hypothetical question for large HEAVILY LEVERAGED sell orders that come from the majority of bitcoinica members?

Could you clarify that you do indeed have deep pockets with lots of money and bitcoins to fund these scenarios?
If you don't, then what mechanisms are in place so the market can't leverage past the point of no more funds?

If there are no mechanism and limited funds then the only other option would be for a fractional reserve exchange,
in that case it would be an ethical choice to clarify it to your users.

What does this mean for bitcoinica's users if there are no mechanisms and limited funds?
It means that at some point the leveraged buys or sells do no influence the market the same as a 1:1 buy or sell.
Leveraged buys and sells would merely be "placing your bets" on what way the market will go without really participating.

I would really appreciate if you could address all this.

We can be a half bucket shop and half brokerage, but obviously that's not the right way.

Either way will result in criticisms, but I did the best I can do, and the right thing.

Why did you repost this exchange without actually responding to the questions? Everyone always claims to do their best and to have done the "right thing". Claiming best effort doesn't establish the adequacy of effort in the eyes of others, and whatever you may have meant by the "right thing" remains completely undefined. For example, not getting your nuts cut off as a warning from a loan shark could be very right for you, but the outcome one way or the other might be of little interest to anyone else.

Are you running any of this by your lawyer before you publish it? You might at least get some guidance in avoiding inadvertently digging your operation even deeper into a credibility hole than it already is.

You must be new here.

True. So far it's just like driving by a serious auto accident, as you approach you can see from the rising smoke and flames that the carnage must be terrible, but you still end up taking a good long look as you pass by. In this case it's not so bad, as it's only another flaming clown car in the internet circus.

It will be interesting to see the total number of responses to the poll question once a day or so has passed. Was bitcoin a bigger deal a few months back? So far it looks like it is going the "death by a thousand idiots" route, only that thousand is probably more like a few dozens, tops.

Some of the press coverage creates the impression that bitcoin aspires to be some kind of serious alternative or business vehicle. To date the best business idea I've run across on this forum is bringing Mexican style kidnapping for profit to the U.S., and you sure don't need bitcoins to pursue that.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

Here's my question for Bitcoinica

Hypothetical: the majority (let's say 90%) of bitcoinica users are long in the market (buying) and are leveraged close to the max (let's say 4 to 1).

From where do the currency funds come to fill those leveraged orders?

Same hypothetical question for large HEAVILY LEVERAGED sell orders that come from the majority of bitcoinica members?

Could you clarify that you do indeed have deep pockets with lots of money and bitcoins to fund these scenarios?
If you don't, then what mechanisms are in place so the market can't leverage past the point of no more funds?

If there are no mechanism and limited funds then the only other option would be for a fractional reserve exchange,
in that case it would be an ethical choice to clarify it to your users.

What does this mean for bitcoinica's users if there are no mechanisms and limited funds?
It means that at some point the leveraged buys or sells do no influence the market the same as a 1:1 buy or sell.
Leveraged buys and sells would merely be "placing your bets" on what way the market will go without really participating.

I would really appreciate if you could address all this.

We can be a half bucket shop and half brokerage, but obviously that's not the right way.

Either way will result in criticisms, but I did the best I can do, and the right thing.

Why did you repost this exchange without actually responding to the questions? Everyone always claims to do their best and to have done the "right thing". Claiming best effort doesn't establish the adequacy of effort in the eyes of others, and whatever you may have meant by the "right thing" remains completely undefined. For example, not getting your nuts cut off as a warning from a loan shark could be very right for you, but the outcome one way or the other might be of little interest to anyone else.

Are you running any of this by your lawyer before you publish it? You might at least get some guidance in avoiding inadvertently digging your operation even deeper into a credibility hole than it already is.

You must be new here.

True. So far it's just like driving by a serious auto accident, as you approach you can see from the rising smoke and flames that the carnage must be terrible, but you still end up taking a good long look as you pass by. In this case it's not so bad, as it's only another flaming clown car in the internet circus.

It will be interesting to see the total number of responses to the poll question once a day or so has passed. Was bitcoin a bigger deal a few months back? So far it looks like it is going the "death by a thousand idiots" route, only that thousand is probably more like a few dozens, tops.

Some of the press coverage creates the impression that bitcoin aspires to be some kind of serious alternative or business vehicle. To date the best business idea I've run across on this forum is bringing Mexican style kidnapping for profit to the U.S., and you sure don't need bitcoins to pursue that.

does this look like one day wonder to you?  thats one helluva lot of burning cars:

http://www.blockchain.info/nodes-globe?series=48hrs
714 (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:29:20 PM

Never?

You really said "back your demand for regulation and government nannies to protect your pocketbook". You really said that.

Thanks for the image of a fat, clueless white man bringing his favorite bogeyman along so he can have an opponent with which to show everyone his shadow boxing prowess. Look at 'em jiggle boys, he's a tough one!

|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
copumpkin
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:19:42 PM

I'm beginning to think the average age on this thread is about 10
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:25:02 PM

now 8, cause you are around 7.5. Tongue

old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:30:58 PM

Troll threads are where we allow ourselves to regress into more primitive states, you whitelisted n00b. huh huh huh.  </butthead>
RandyFolds

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 10:02:34 PM

Never?

You really said "back your demand for regulation and government nannies to protect your pocketbook". You really said that.

Thanks for the image of a fat, clueless white man bringing his favorite bogeyman along so he can have an opponent with which to show everyone his shadow boxing prowess. Look at 'em jiggle boys, he's a tough one!

I don't get it.

Also, fat jokes? Seriously? Odds are that despite my morbid obesity, I could rip both your arms off your torso...unless you are up several stairs. Then I can't get to you...but if I could...
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 11:02:42 PM

do i hear a n00b crying?

its 1337, you n00b

You trolled me good!

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
714 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:00:10 AM

Never?

I don't get it.

Also, fat jokes? Seriously? Odds are that despite my morbid obesity, I could rip both your arms off your torso...unless you are up several stairs. Then I can't get to you...but if I could...

You don't get it? You are more of a dumbass that I thought. Think hard about what I actually said or didn't say, and then see if your straw man, or in your case more likely a blowup doll, wants to argue reactionary politics with you.

It's been a long time since I boxed in the military and it's not like I would bother anyway, blowing your head off would work just fine. It's something I got a lot of practice at, I'm quite sure I still remember how. I know - how are you with a knife? I collected ears back in the day and took some scalps as well to commemorate the customs of my ancestors. Slowly skinning your bloated carcass alive would really bring back some fond memories of field interrogations I performed. Man, I had the touch, everyone said so, I used to get a lot of special requests from my associates. I'm sure it would be just like riding a bicycle, one never forgets.

RandyFolds

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:06:31 AM

Never?

I don't get it.

You don't get it? You are more of a dumbass that I thought. Think hard about what I actually said or didn't say, and then see if your straw man, or in your case more likely a blowup doll, wants to argue reactionary politics with you.

It's been a long time since I boxed in the military and it's not like I would bother anyway, blowing your head off would work just fine. It's something I got a lot of practice at, I'm quite sure I still remember how. I know - how are you with a knife? I collected ears back in the day and took some scalps as well to commemorate the customs of my ancestors. Slowly skinning your bloated carcass alive would really bring back some fond memories of field interrogations I performed. Man, I had the touch, everyone said so, I used to get a lot of special requests from my associates. I'm sure it would be just like riding a bicycle, one never forgets.

Cool story bro. I see you like Apocalypse Now. I thought that was a good film as well.
714 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:56:55 AM

Never?

I don't get it.

Cool story bro. I see you like Apocalypse Now. I thought that was a good film as well.

Before my time old man. Central America offered plenty of work for private contractors back in the 80s. By the time Desert Storm came around, my reserve status was standby.

alan2here

Activity: 1778
Merit: 504

WorkAsPro

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 01:19:50 AM

The mantinace (requirements) for keeping a leveraged trade open and the such is clearly defined by Bitcoinica. However valid criticisms are not the aim of this thread.

Do threads ever get closed here?

████     ████     ████              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████    █████▄    ███               ████▀▀▀▀███▄
 ███▄   ██▀███   ████   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ████    ▀███
 ▀███  ▄██  ██   ███                ████    ▄███
  ███  ██▀  ███ ▄███    ▄▄▄▄▄▄      ███████████▀
  ▀██▄ ██   ▀██ ███     ██████      ████
   ██████    ██████    ███  ███     ████
   ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▀▀▀▀
                      ███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
....Fiverr Alternative...
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 01:26:18 AM

So far it's just like driving by a serious auto accident
I stopped reading right there because I make a fortune off of my businesses in the Bitcoin community, lead several development teams to develop better standards for many of the technologies that even you will be using this year, and am having loads of fun learning all about micro-economics and micro-politics. The only auto accident is this forum and its more--erm-- 'passionate' members (most of which have already been banned).

Some of the press coverage creates the impression that bitcoin aspires to be some kind of serious alternative or business vehicle.
I'm sure the members of this forum would LOVE it if that were true, but not even I believe in Bitcoin as-is. When used in combination with other systems such as ripple, open transactions, etc, it can be a true problem solver. Personally though, the concept of having to burn energy and ruin computers just to process the blockchain is one giant leap I've never been able to fully make. Thankfully I'm in no position of any kind of political power so my opinion doesn't matter half as much as my services to people willing to pay for them.

Do threads ever get closed here?

Only due to lack of interest.

RandyFolds

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 01:46:49 AM

Never?

I don't get it.

Before my time old man. Central America offered plenty of work for private contractors back in the 80s. By the time Desert Storm came around, my reserve status was standby.

So you were a murderer for hire? Cool story bro. I see you like Rambo. I also enjoyed that film.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 01:48:04 AM

Never?

I don't get it.

So you were a murderer for hire? Cool story bro. I see you like Rambo. I also enjoyed that film.

I feel a quote pyramid coming on.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: