Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:12:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: mtgox criminal investigation?  (Read 5292 times)
edmundedgar

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

https://www.realitykeys.com

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 11:14:37 AM

Does anyone have any kind of proof that a police investigation is actually being conducted in Japan?

There was some well-sourced press coverage a while back to the effect that they were. But I don't think there's anything in the public domain to tell us how hard they're trying, whether they've given up, or what theories they been working on, ie whether they're just writing up the official Gox claim about a theft or whether they're coming down hard on Karpeles etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 06:37:04 AM

Does anyone have any kind of proof that a police investigation is actually being conducted in Japan?

There was some well-sourced press coverage a while back to the effect that they were. But I don't think there's anything in the public domain to tell us how hard they're trying, whether they've given up, or what theories they been working on, ie whether they're just writing up the official Gox claim about a theft or whether they're coming down hard on Karpeles etc.
I would doubt that the police have the technological capacity to even know where to begin when investigating this type of potential crime.
harles9

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 08:55:53 AM

**** am I ever fortunate I got into Bitcoins before I had a chance to be duped by Gox.
Seems like half the Bitcoiners have been screwed by this pathetic organization.  Maddening.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:57:05 PM

I believe I have seen some news reports that Gox has referred the "theft" of the coins to the police to investigate and that they will cooperate.

Now if the investigation will have any kind of teeth, that is another question.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:48:48 AM

I've said this once before, but one day Mark Karpeles is going to be the star of his own episode of "American Greed."  His rise and fall is exactly the type of story that is always on that show.
DrApricot

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:12:56 PM

"While it's hard to pinpoint where the growing attacks against Japan are coming from, security companies agree that most of the servers used by hackers are in China and that viruses are often written using Chinese-language operating systems. The hackers may just be using the servers, and groups from more than one country are involved, Mr Nishimoto said.

The attacks leveled at Japan are on the same scale as those that prompted the US to accuse China of state-backed industrial espionage, Mr Nishimoto said. The US government indicted five Chinese military officials in May for allegedly stealing trade secrets from American companies. China has denied the accusations."
http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/japan-rushes-to-thwart-cyber-onslaught-20140714-zt6ru.html

This article seems to imply that Mt. Gox could have been a victim of industrial espionage.
RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 03:07:27 PM

What's the bet the fat fuck gets charged with ebezzlement?

What's the bet the fat fuck gets charged with ebezzlement lives?

FTFY

I'd bet that there are some pretty sore and angry people out there that are just waiting to see what happens with the whole fiasco, and that are willing to mete out street justice.

I don't think he has more than a couple years of life left in him.

Quite honestly, I'm a bit surprised that he's still walking around. I guess that there's quite a bit that I don't know, because it all just doesn't make sense to me.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:20:38 PM

I'd bet that there are some pretty sore and angry people out there that are just waiting to see what happens with the whole fiasco, and that are willing to mete out street justice.

I don't think he has more than a couple years of life left in him.

Quite honestly, I'm a bit surprised that he's still walking around. I guess that there's quite a bit that I don't know, because it all just doesn't make sense to me.

There's a few large-scale scammers with known identities. Every single one seems to be above ground and unharmed.
Kayex

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:48:23 AM

Regarding the bitcoins that were sold to Mtgox, you just have to wait for the japanese court to handle them and then all of the USD that was owed to you will come without much more delay.

Or at least that's what they're hoping for.

money420weed

Activity: 78

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:09:47 AM

I've said this once before, but one day Mark Karpeles is going to be the star of his own episode of "American Greed."  His rise and fall is exactly the type of story that is always on that show.
This would be very appropriate for that show.

He is also very incompetent and doesnt have any clue as to how to run a business.   
Dread Pirate Roberts

Activity: 1484
Merit: 326

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 07:24:01 AM

interested to know this but in real they of course anonymous way and i think will really hard to get some from them to know the thief . or maybe the thief in other country and maybe thats manipulation to . or maybe the owner act like get hack and he moved they money in other place .
this never  will be do.
santaClause

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:24:57 PM

interested to know this but in real they of course anonymous way and i think will really hard to get some from them to know the thief . or maybe the thief in other country and maybe thats manipulation to . or maybe the owner act like get hack and he moved they money in other place .
this never  will be do.
if they lost the bitcoin from malleability then the coins were not lost to one attacker but rather many if their customers some of whom did nothing wrong
michaelwang33

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:39:12 AM

Regarding the bitcoins that were sold to Mtgox, you just have to wait for the japanese court to handle them and then all of the USD that was owed to you will come without much more delay.

Or at least that's what they're hoping for.
I have read rumors that MtGox may decide they will pay out their creditors in bitcoin for those that are owed bitcoin.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █