Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:47:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521678 times)
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:57:24 PM

so the "2nd DB" is somehow different than the Bitcoin-qt DB?  sounds redundant.  does it double the HDD requirements?

i'm also not seeing any download links on the website for the new version.  am currently runnng 0.88.1 on mac os. 

looks like my 0.88.1 is already the latest version?

It's not out yet, so there's no new version yet.  Yes it is redundant, and it more than doubles the HDD requirements.  But it should considerably speedup startup, no more 15 minute waiting for Armory to load.  Maybe with this investment -1 can make a full bitcoin node replacement.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 04:16:56 PM

Yes, it is redundant, but it the goal is to have Armory become more detached from bitcoin-qt/bitcoind.  There is no way to ultimately connect Armory to a remote Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind instance unless it maintains its own DB.   Also, these first few versions are maintaining a full database, but the goal to create a lighter-weight version that doesn't duplicate all that data.  But the full implementation is easier, and solves the RAM problem, so it makes a great first step.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:01:27 PM

Congrats on the round Smiley

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:06:59 PM

what is supernode supposed to mean?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 07:22:56 PM

what is supernode supposed to mean?

"Super-node" is like having blockchain.info on your own computer.  You will be able to query the balance and UTXO list of any address on the network and get an instant answer without any rescanning (it's all maintained on the fly).  And without contacting any servers.  It is ideal for webservers that are doing lots of Bitcoin processing, and necessary for having encrypted watching-only wallets, so that you don't have to do a long rescan every load (otherwise, your wallet may be encrypted, but it's obvious from the database files which addresses are in your wallets).

However, my original implementation suffered from at least one issue related to LevelDB.  I won't claim that my own code was bugless, but the errors were non-deterministic so I determined it wasn't feasible to continue in the short-term (failed with corruption errors on one run, then succeed on the next run using identical inputs). 

For now, I switched to the "regular full-node" implementation like it was before, which requires rescanning on import/sweep/restore of wallets&addresses.  But now it uses the database to save that data between loads, so that you no longer have to rescan on every load.  Still have a bit of internal testing before I can release a testing version, but it's looking very good so far.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 07:47:26 PM

By the way, Coindesk just ran the story, after interviewing me.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-wallet-armory-raises-600k-seed-funding/

els

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:15:40 PM

Great write up.  Congrats Alan!

[To any of you bitcoin foundation members that haven't voted yet in the final board member election, please consider recognizing Trace Mayer's forward thinking commitment in this, in addition to his other significant qualifications.]
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 08:17:41 PM

Congrats. Love to see Armory live up to its full potential.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 09:43:48 PM

Grats!  I'm excited to see the project move forward like this.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:06:37 PM

Thanks everyone, and you too goatpig!  Your help was actually tremendous.  Just because I have full time people helping doesn't mean that we no longer will need help from the community!  We actually have already tried out your solution and it appears to take us much further than we got before!  So I'm glad you helped, and I think you deserve the 2 BTC.  Though, I just realized that your solution uses a very old version of LevelDB ... I haven't tried merging that project with the latest LevelDB, but we will need to do that eventually.

Regarding LevelDB, I haven't looked at the source too much, however it seems evident that all the system resource and OS talking LevelDB requires is performed by a separate piece of code, confined to the "port" folder of LDB's source. Of what I've seen, it handles threading, atomicity, file access, getting the environment, setting variables and, I suspect, whatever else there is to do on that front. My intuition on this is that as long as you get a proper compile of "port", all the code inside the leveldb/leveldb folder (the db related classes) will compile without errors.

It is true that I don't like leveldbwin's approach, using ATL and  MS's interlocked memory functions to provide environment and atomicity. Ideally you'd like to compile a dll on MS systems, and support x64, so a in house compilation seems like a better long term option. LevelDB uses pthreads, which is easy to compile on msvc, as well as atomics, which vc11 supports natively. I think it won't be too hard to get a proper build going for Windows. I'll be around if you need assistance with that.

As for the bounty, this is my address: 1KPsKCA1VrGdnKqQgrSKZ5M2sEZRP1oUFX

Thank you for contributing to my hookers 'n blow fund =)

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 10:58:33 PM

Grats!  I'm excited to see the project move forward like this.

So when is red emerald going to be joining the armory team Wink

*disclaimer no knowledge of anything that has to do with armory and the company, just speculation*
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 11:04:29 PM

*disclaimer no knowledge of anything that has to do with armory and the company, just speculation*

We actually have some money bookmarked for outside help, like what Red Emerald has done in the past.  If we need something that no one on our team knows how to deal with, we may simply offer them some short-term funding at a reasonable hourly rate to help out.  I don't expect us to be doing a lot of that, but it's definitely a "tool" we're keeping in our back pocket.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:29:31 AM

We actually have some money bookmarked for outside help, like what Red Emerald has done in the past.  If we need something that no one on our team knows how to deal with, we may simply offer them some short-term funding at a reasonable hourly rate to help out.  I don't expect us to be doing a lot of that, but it's definitely a "tool" we're keeping in our back pocket.

Does your build system still need work in this next version?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 12:52:12 AM

And so it begins... Smiley

PM me and let me know what you think you can help us with.  By default, we will be trying to do things ourselves with already-paid labor, and that's how we learn anyway.  But if especially if we're bogged down and it's a compact and measurable task we'll consider outsourcing.

We might need help with the Windows build system.  But we also might have figured it out already.  Linux packaging could use some help, but we have a hardc0re linux nerd coming in at the end of the month so I will assume he's got that covered Smiley

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 02:05:23 AM

And so it begins... Smiley

PM me and let me know what you think you can help us with.  By default, we will be trying to do things ourselves with already-paid labor, and that's how we learn anyway.  But if especially if we're bogged down and it's a compact and measurable task we'll consider outsourcing.

We might need help with the Windows build system.  But we also might have figured it out already.  Linux packaging could use some help, but we have a hardc0re linux nerd coming in at the end of the month so I will assume he's got that covered Smiley

Sounds good ... at least the linux build could do with the work, particularly the dynamic lib link stuff was pretty shaky sec. wise last time I looked and we had this discussion ...

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 02:57:52 PM

etotheipi,
If you want to close the bounty listed here I would be willing to divert the 5 BTC I pledged to you directly, I didn't realize you were on the cusp of being able to work on Armory full-time or I would have helped participate in investing in you.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:01:08 PM

etotheipi,
If you want to close the bounty listed here I would be willing to divert the 5 BTC I pledged to you directly, I didn't realize you were on the cusp of being able to work on Armory full-time or I would have helped participate in investing in you.

Raize, you are welcome to donate it to me.  All donations up until this point have gone to me, not the company, though at some point we will transition the address (and mark it clearly on the website) that future donations will support development (i.e. going to paying salaries of everyone working on Armory).  Up until this point, most people thought their donations were going directly to me for what I've done so far, so I made it clear to the investors that until the specified time I will continue to keep them.  Also because CEOs of startups who have the most equity (the most to gain), tend to also have the lowest salaries.  It's part of the risk I get to take given all the potential upside I have.  Until the company actually starts turning a profit, I'll be getting paid below my market value so that we can contribute more money to these superstar developers for whom we have to compete with the rest of the job market.

I'm not complaining -- I'm doing what I love doing and I am still making enough to be comfortable, so I don't have much to complain about Smiley  But donations are still appreciated and remind me how much people like the work I've done. 

Take that for what it's worth.

Goatpig -

Want to double-down?  I'll make it 3 BTC if you can take your working project and integrate the latest leveldb with it.  I haven't tried it, and as you said it might just be plug-n-play.  In which case this would be the easiest 1 BTC ever.  Or it may take some work.  But in the interest of optimizing my time, it's worth upping the bounty a bit to get you to investigate that for us Smiley  You seem to be quite experienced with C++ and MSVS, so you seem like the right person to send headfirst into this one.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:32:44 PM

@ goatpig

I am trying to follow your solution on Windows 7, 32-bit.  Everything has been smooth except for ATL.  I installed the 7.1.0 WDK, but it still can't find atlbase.h.  I have searched the entire harddrive looking for it, but can't find it.  I reinstalled the WDK and rebooted and it's nowhere to be found.  I did some googling and found posts telling me to install the 7.1.0 WDK... I wonder if it has to do with 32-bit OS?  I can't imagine the header file would, but I'm grasping at straws here...  any advice?

super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:35:13 PM

I'm curious to know if there is any push to improve the Armory interface? For a user like me it works just fine, but someone who is newer to Bitcoin, I could see how it could be very uninviting.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:15:03 PM

I just noticed that Armory's website got a redesign.  Looks good.  I'm impatiently awaiting the new version of Armory that will be less RAM intensive, but I assume progress will be going faster now that you're working on this full time. 

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: