Bitcoin Forum
December 09, 2016, 03:57:06 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 232 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 482248 times)
exponential

Activity: 71

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:59:41 AM

Is there anywhere I can see an example of a Wallet being restored from the paper backup?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
milkshoe

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:15:21 AM

Is there anywhere I can see an example of a Wallet being restored from the paper backup?
Just try it by yourself Smiley It's working like a charme!

I cannot imagine to use a better wallet than Armory! But as I wrote here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=503631.0 I am concerned about usb key security (I am ultra paranoid).

Currently the safest method for transferring unsigned&signed transactions is to type it by hand into the computers, right? Now I am asking myself if I can loose my Bitcoins when I have a typo in my transaction plaintext (which is very likely) or does Armory check the file integrity and I just need to check the transaction details Armory brings up to me.

Or should I better wait for your audio transfer feature? (So awesome!)
Zoella

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:02:22 PM

At the very least, the scanning is fixed in the latest version currently in testing (0.91-beta).  0.90 rescans every time there's a crash, but we determined that was wholly unnecessary.  A couple pages back I posted a testing version you can try.  You'll have to rebuild and rescan the first time, but you shouldn't have any rescanning after that unless you import or sweep private keys.  

Though, that testing version is a still a bit too young for most people.  I think we will have the new version officially out in a couple weeks.

Is the slowness issue on linux fixed?

https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/issues/171

The wallet just got slower and slower after receiving approximately 2 transactions a day for a month for me. Now it's completely unusable.

Linux test version of 0.91-beta?

We put in a fix for some of the most serious slowness issues.  There was some inefficiencies in the way it stored and scanned live unconfirmed transactions, that only became apparent when the network volume picked up in recent months.  0.91-beta should have that fixed.

Don't use the testing version yet.  Simply close Armory, go to your ~/.armory directory and delete mempool.bin.  Restart Armory.  mempool.bin will reaccumulate, but it should take a couple days for it to bog down your system again, then simply redo it.  0.91 will have this fixed.

Let me know if that's not it.  (also, how big is your mempool.bin, before you delete it?)

Did a complete reinstall a couple days ago (including rebuilding OS). Imported wallets and synced, but it immediately locked up after first sync. I was never able to access wallet properties or the transaction tab. Just deleted mempool.bin (6.5MB) and starting up again.

OK, after restarting sans mempool.bin, the system threw up an error message about syncing. Bottom right corner said connected (false blocks), and a mouse over stated 500+ months behind. Again deleted mempool.bin which had grown to 11MB and restarted. Now showing connected (0 blocks) for the last hour while it synced/built database. Scanning transaction history is now estimated at 60 months and the app has frozen again. The mempool.bin file is currently 455.2kB.
CircusPeanut

Activity: 123

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 03:06:53 PM

Here is demo that I did for a user:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTwbc3fJsEg

At minute 29 we get into restoring from a backup.

There is quite a bit of content on this video although it's just an unedited google hangout so the quality is not so great.

I am concerned about usb key security (I am ultra paranoid).

Currently the safest method for transferring unsigned&signed transactions is to type it by hand into the computers, right? Now I am asking myself if I can loose my Bitcoins when I have a typo in my transaction plaintext (which is very likely) or does Armory check the file integrity and I just need to check the transaction details Armory brings up to me.

The audio transfer feature is 1 or 2 releases away, so you might have to wait a little while.

A USB key is reasonably safe if you only use it for only this purpose on only one online computer.

If you go with manual entry that is the safest although most inconvenient. You do not have to worry about losing your bitcoins. You will have a chance to verify and double check the receiving addresses and amounts before you broadcast your transaction. If you took the time to type it all out, you can take the time to double check the receiving addresses and amounts.
e4xit

Activity: 298

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:44:58 PM

Hi,

Im using Armory 0.9 Beta on OSX, it seems to sync up with the network and stuff OK, but in the bottom right where it either says "disconnected" or "Connected (288888 blocks)" it flashes very quickly between these two messages, like a couple of times per second.

Sometimes it is predominantly 'disconnected' but I can see it flashing, and sometimes it is 'Connected (288888 blocks)' and it flashes...

Anyone else experience this/able to help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

This sounds like your bitcoin Qt has reached -maxconnections and won't allow Armory to become max+1. Maybe try launching Armory the instant that Bitcoin client is launched, as it could be that your router is limiting p2p network connections (this will give Armory the best opportunity to be allocated with one of the p2p connection slots)

Even if that's not it, it would be useful to have some mechanism whereby Armory can take priority over other connections, as I've had this problem myself (solved by changing the network environment to allow more p2p connections to bitcoind). Possibly a point for core development, though.

Carlton i think you might have hit the nail on the head here... I have modified my bitcoin.conf to only allow Bitcoin-QT to have 10 connections max, also I am usually letting it sync fully (maxxing out the connections to 10) before starting Armory, so I guess it sounds like what you have experienced...

i do also have a slightly dodgey router though, even though it is supposed to be decent it needs a hard reset once or twice a day which I KNOW is not right but I have tried absolutely everythign to sort that out...

Will try opening Armory quickly after Bitcoin-QT is opened to try and get it in a 'reserved' slot when I get home tonight

Just to follow this issue up, this worked perfectly for me. The next thing I can think of is to add Armory as a forced connection into the bitcoin.conf file so that I don't have to worry about when I start it up...

If I was going to do this, how would I go about it? What address does Armory connect to QT from? I take it it will look something like:

addnode=127.0.0.1

...but bit of n00b about this stuff. Thanks

If you don't have the private key for "your" bitcoins then you have no bitcoins.
There are a million bits in a bitcoin: 1 ฿ = 1,000,000 ƀ
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 05:46:43 PM

Just to follow this issue up, this worked perfectly for me. The next thing I can think of is to add Armory as a forced connection into the bitcoin.conf file so that I don't have to worry about when I start it up...

If I was going to do this, how would I go about it? What address does Armory connect to QT from? I take it it will look something like:

addnode=127.0.0.1

...but bit of n00b about this stuff. Thanks

FYI, I'm not positive about this because I'm not that familiar with Tor, but I believe when using Tor, all connections appear to be from 127.0.0.1... so it's not necessarily safe in all  environments.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
QuantumQrack

Activity: 339

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:08:25 PM

Is it possible to issue command line arguments when using Armory?  Such as "bitcoind listunspent"?
exponential

Activity: 71

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:25:50 PM

Here is demo that I did for a user:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTwbc3fJsEg

At minute 29 we get into restoring from a backup.

There is quite a bit of content on this video although it's just an unedited google hangout so the quality is not so great.

I am concerned about usb key security (I am ultra paranoid).

The audio transfer feature is 1 or 2 releases away, so you might have to wait a little while.

A USB key is reasonably safe if you only use it for only this purpose on only one online computer.

If you go with manual entry that is the safest although most inconvenient. You do not have to worry about losing your bitcoins. You will have a chance to verify and double check the receiving addresses and amounts before you broadcast your transaction. If you took the time to type it all out, you can take the time to double check the receiving addresses and amounts.

Thank You very much.  I will also try it myself as Armory has just finished installing Smiley
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:30:57 PM

@Alan:

Since you already have the possibility to generate QR codes for paper backup of wallets, would it be possible to implement a feature to print/print to screen a QR code with the offline wallet transaction's data so it could be imported elsewhere easily (and be less prone to input errors)?

“In Putin’s Russia bitcoin exchanges you.” - http://www.coindesk.com/ceo-bitcoin-officially-bans-china/
List of major BTC scams https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=576337
Bitstamp "no transfer" banks/countries list: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=270716.0
CircusPeanut

Activity: 123

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 08:31:25 PM

Is it possible to issue command line arguments when using Armory?  Such as "bitcoind listunspent"?

Yes, but you have to use armoryd (Amory Daemon) rather than the Armory application.

To run the Armory Daemon:

Build Armory from source code following instructions here: https://bitcoinarmory.com/download/building-armory-from-source/

You also need txjsonrpc from here: https://github.com/oubiwann/txjsonrpc

You can just clone it and put the directory right into BitcoinArmory

To play with it open a command line interface and enter:

python armoryd --testnet <path to testnet wallet>

Open another command line interface and send commands to it like this:

python armoryd.py --testnet listunspent
GoHskrs

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:05:06 AM

etotheipi and team, thanks for creating such an awesome and secure client!

My installation might actually be a bit below memory specifications, and may run slower than others', but it does work. The online machine has 4GB RAM, running 32-bit Linux (Fedora 20, upgraded using fedup from 17 -> 18 -> 19 -> 20). My two redundant offline machines, which are identical, are 455MHz Pentium III boxes with 256MB RAM, running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and the Armory offline bundle.  (I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04.3 on the offline boxes, without success. I installed Ubuntu from CD, and one of the machines apparently has a defective CD-ROM drive, resulting in a 40-hour install that ultimately succeeded -- luckily, there were no blackouts during those 40 hours, and the cats didn't unplug the machine ... 8^)

When I instantiated the second offline machine, I used only the paper wallet backup from the first offline machine to recover my wallet, and (of course) it worked like a champ. That was my own exercise in making sure this stuff really does work -- and it does!
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 03:18:16 AM

etothepi and team, thanks for creating such an awesome and secure client!

My installation might actually be a bit below memory specifications, and may run slower than others', but it does work. The online machine has 4GB RAM, running 32-bit Linux (Fedora 20, upgraded using fedup from 17 -> 18 -> 19 -> 20). My two redundant offline machines, which are identical, are 455MHz Pentium III boxes with 256MB RAM, running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and the Armory offline bundle.  (I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04.3 on the offline boxes, without success. I installed Ubuntu from CD, and one of the machines apparently has a defective CD-ROM drive, resulting in a 40-hour install that ultimately succeeded -- luckily, there were no blackouts during those 40 hours, and the cats didn't unplug the machine ... 8^)

When I instantiated the second offline machine, I used only the paper wallet backup from the first offline machine to recover my wallet, and (of course) it worked like a champ. That was my own exercise in making sure this stuff really does work -- and it does!

Thanks for the positive feedback!   Understandably, most people post and communicate with us when things don't work, and it's not a high priority to contact us when it does work.  It makes me feel like it doesn't work for anyone, even though it obviously does -- we had more than 20k downloads last month...and less than 20,000 nasty emails Smiley    So, it feels good to hear a success story occasionally.

Just an update on the new version:  I decided there was a new feature I wanted integrated that was too good to wait for the next version.  So I pushed this next round of testing back a couple weeks while we iron this out, which also gives us more time for some internal testing.  Hope to have it finished by mid next week!

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
GoHskrs

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:32:08 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback!   Understandably, most people post and communicate with us when things don't work, and it's not a high priority to contact us when it does work.  It makes me feel like it doesn't work for anyone, even though it obviously does -- we had more than 20k downloads last month...and less than 20,000 nasty emails Smiley    So, it feels good to hear a success story occasionally.
You're welcome, and please consider this an implicit plea not to discontinue the offline bundle for Ubuntu 10.04.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 03:54:16 AM

The 0.91-dev branch on GitHub works for me well enough that I use it as my primary wallet.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 04:01:02 AM

The 0.91-dev branch on GitHub works for me well enough that I use it as my primary wallet.

Although I wouldn't normally recommend this, I think it's no so bad to do that as long as it's your online computer with watching-only wallets.  Anything stupid that the online computer does will be caught by the offline computer (as long as you actually check all the transaction details before continuing).

Of course, I may be neglecting some corner case situation, so I still wouldn't put an official endorsement behind it.  But having a stable version that does the reviewing and signing certainly reduces the risk considerably.  (but definitely don't use it for your offline computer yet, unless it's tiny amounts of money)

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 04:09:06 AM

Although I wouldn't normally recommend this, I think it's no so bad to do that as long as it's your online computer with watching-only wallets.  Anything stupid that the online computer does will be caught by the offline computer (as long as you actually check all the transaction details before continuing).

Of course, I may be neglecting some corner case situation, so I still wouldn't put an official endorsement behind it.  But having a stable version that does the reviewing and signing certainly reduces the risk considerably.  (but definitely don't use it for your offline computer yet, unless it's tiny amounts of money)
Yeah, I think I still use 0.88 on the offline computer because the risk/reward of updating the offline machine isn't favorable.

I thought maybe I should add a "don't try this at home" disclaimer to my other post, but on the other hand I think anyone capable of using git can make their own risk analysis.
shadowandlight

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 08:56:27 PM

Cannot get Armory to sync, any tips? It Freezes at 99% and has set there for days

I've tried every solution I can find so far:

-Rescan Database
-Rebuild and Rescan Database
-Ensured my PC time was synced with time.windows.com

So far nothing ive been doing has worked, the database refuses to finish.

Any ideas? I'm locked out of my wallet!

http://pastebin.com/jaHwF8tQ

heres some of the bottom of the log file, its quite large though
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

What does it say in the log file?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
shadowandlight

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 09:44:30 PM

http://pastebin.com/jaHwF8tQ

heres some of the bottom of the log file, its quite large though
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 10:40:10 PM

By the way, I am not posting the next testing version for a couple days, but it would be stellar if someone with a fresh Raspberry Pi could test the Raspbian build I posted a couple weeks ago.  I don't need a full report on functionality, etc... just want to know if I got the dependencies right and if it runs at all on a fresh Raspbian install.  I'm not very confident that it will, but I'm ready to be surprised!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-releases/armory_0.90.99-testing_rpibuild.tar.gz

Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 232 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.