Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 10:09:27 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 232 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 481558 times)
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:15:37 PM

Ok perfect will have a look into it.

Have you already some date in prevision when to start with revision of armoryd?

Sorry to say but there are 2 items in front of armoryd on the priority list currently. CircusPeanut, who maintains armoryd, is going over our unit tests right now so he won't be dealing with it yet.

The other priority is multisig, and it makes sense for us to first polish multisig and p2sh, then fix armoryd, and add multisig support with it.

btcarmory.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shoesman

Activity: 54

ill be back

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:41:22 PM

got a huge proplem , ive just upgraded to armory 0.91 and bitcoin core x64 0.91 , and armory wont detect bitcoin core x64 0.91 , hell ive tried with the 32bit version of bitcoin core 0.91 ,  same thing , armory still wont detect bitcoin core 0.91 running , all it shows is armory is offline , i really need this fixed , since i use the bitcoin-qt.exe aka the GUI version of bitcoin core to connect through tor per proxy in bitcoin-qts proxy settings and thus have

armory connect through tor as well since it uses the bitcoin-qt.exe as well usually by detecting it atleast thats how it used to work , wich is broken as of now , please fix this id appreciate it alot i need this for enhanced security

btw why is there no seperate x64 version of armory anymore , bitcoin-qt has it and the 0.88.1 version of armory had it so why not the newer builds
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:37:40 PM

You can force the Bitcoin core installation path, going to File -> Settings

btcarmory.com
shoesman

ill be back

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:57:05 PM

apparently you havent understood my issue , since i have to be able to have armory autodetect the already running bitcoin-qt.exe in order for it to be able to connect over tor since armory uses the connection from the bitcoin core client that way , and setting it in armorys settings to let armory run it in the background it uses its own process , completely ignoring my bitcoin client settings aka not using the proxy settings in bitcoin core aka not using tors connection

if you dont believe me go and try this>

download tor browser bundle latest , got to settings in tor bundle and go to preferences by clicking on the tor button , then select the custom proxy settings , then enter as SOCKS host this 127.0.0.1 and enter 9150 in port and select socks v5

then go to your bitcoin core settings and do as following >  go to network and select connect through socks proxy and enter above settings and you got it all setup to only connect whenever your running tor , wich in turn would have armory only connect through tor as well since it would then be properly using the available instance of bitcoin-qt.exe , thats if it would work as it has , but as of latest build of bitcoin core be it 32bit or 64bit dont matter and armory its broken wich needs to be fixed this is an crucial security and anonymity  issue and i wont be able to use armory , hell i wont be able to manage my bitcoins at all until then since armory is the only secure software i trust to manage my bitcoins
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 08:48:05 PM

apparently you havent understood my issue , since i have to be able to have armory autodetect the already running bitcoin-qt.exe in order for it to be able to connect over tor since armory uses the connection from the bitcoin core client that way , and setting it in armorys settings to let armory run it in the background it uses its own process , completely ignoring my bitcoin client settings aka not using the proxy settings in bitcoin core aka not using tors connection

if you dont believe me go and try this>

download tor browser bundle latest , got to settings in tor bundle and go to preferences by clicking on the tor button , then select the custom proxy settings , then enter as SOCKS host this 127.0.0.1 and enter 9150 in port and select socks v5

then go to your bitcoin core settings and do as following >  go to network and select connect through socks proxy and enter above settings and you got it all setup to only connect whenever your running tor , wich in turn would have armory only connect through tor as well since it would then be properly using the available instance of bitcoin-qt.exe , thats if it would work as it has , but as of latest build of bitcoin core be it 32bit or 64bit dont matter and armory its broken wich needs to be fixed this is an crucial security and anonymity  issue and i wont be able to use armory , hell i wont be able to manage my bitcoins at all until then since armory is the only secure software i trust to manage my bitcoins

Are you saying your setup worked with older versions of Armory?

Bitcoin Core's arch build is irrelevant here. Im going to speculate since you didn't give me your settings specifics.

1) Ima assume you have turn off auto manage bitcoind in Armory, and that Armory just shows offline. If as you seem to pretend, Armory is just running its own instance of bitcoind, that setting is on and you need to turn it off.

2) Ima assume you have pointed Armory at Bitcoin's datadir folder through the --satoshi-datadir switch, or that you let BitcoinQt create that folder in its default location.

3) Ima assume you're not trying to run Armory in testnet while BitcoinQt is running on the mainnet, or vice versa.

4) Ima assume you turned off the torrent and "check online" options in File -> Settings

5) Ima assume you have a custom bitcoin.conf

6) Ima assume you commented the announcement code out of ArmoryQt.py, seeing that you don't want any of your traffic going through something else than Tor.

If all these assumptions hold true and Armory is showing offline, then add this line to your bitcoin.conf:

addnode=127.0.0.1

Restart BitcoinQt and let me know.

btcarmory.com
shoesman

ill be back

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:06:10 PM

ok one after another>

1> yes i have turned off armory managing bitcoin in armory settings and yes just to confirm what i said i enabled it to test it out if it runs a seperate bitcoin instance wich it does aka bitcoind.exe again its disabled thou this was just for confirmation purposes only

2> what , what switch , huh , how do i do that btw yes ive done a regular bitcoin qt 0.91 install wich i recon does what is required right , its the x64 version of it thou since i wanted to test that one out, love x64 versions not that installing the 32bit version made any difference in armorys detection

3> testnet , mainnet , again i have no idea what your talking about please elaborate

4> yes ive turned off the torrent and check offline options just to see if it makes a difference...nope it didnt btw check offline isnt that counterproductive? since its supposed to check through bitcoin qt if theres connectivity , that is once it actually detects bitcoin qt.exe and then using its connection to gain online access

5> yes i do in my bitcoin folder in the appdata/roaming folder

6> and no , no i did not , how do i do that , are you telling me that theres other points of armory that didnt get torriefied , omg! , mind you ive run armory 0.88.1 with bitcoin 0.84 per the previous mentioned setup and armory detected bitcoin qt without issues as soon as i started up my tor browser bundle and the blockchain was fully synced , thats until ive updated both to the most recent versions something mustve changed in bitcoin qt aka called bitcoin core now wich prevents armory from detecting it , it boggles the mind

ive did all those except i have no idea what 3 is or 2 nor 6, help please, i appreciate your time

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:20:08 PM

1) Copy and paste your bitcoin.conf content in here

2) Armory needs 2 things: To find a running instance of Bitcoin locally (on 127.0.0.1:8333) that it can connect to) and to be pointed at the folder where the blockchain is saved. Now I need a logfile to assert that. Make a ticket, attach the log and point at your post.

3) If you dont know it means you didnt mess with it.

4&6) Armory connects to Bitcoin locally and to our own servers for updates and announcements. This has been the case since... hell I dont remember but its been there alright. Look at your log file and watch all those connections to google.com and our s3 server. At this rate it would be simpler to install Whonix than go through all this pain. If you dont have any coding experience you're gonna have a hard time turning off all side channel in the from source. This isnt related to your issue btw, just assuming you want all that side channel stuff off or going through Tor.

5) Same as 1)

Also, you should be able to put all your settings in the bitcoin.conf file and let Armory auto manage it, but that's besides the point. Using 64 vs 32bit BitcoinQt has nothing to do with this, this is simply a setting issue. Give me the information I need and I'll sort it out.

Again consider using Whonix or that Tails + Armory attempt found somewhere on this sub section.

Something I forgot to answer: We dont put out a 64bit Windows version anymore because we dont need to. When Armory needed tons of RAM it had to be 64 bit. Now it doesn't anymore so we don't bother in a sense. The 32 bit version runs on every supported Windows, make our life easier.

btcarmory.com
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:22:00 PM

The only way to have Armory working with Tor is to have listen=1 on bitcoin.conf, or to start bitcoin with the -listen=1 argument, right?

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:24:54 PM

The only way to have Armory working with Tor is to have listen=1 on bitcoin.conf, or to start bitcoin with the -listen=1 argument, right?

addnode=127.0.0.1 will make bitcoind try to connect to Armory, which is what you want, and not more. listen=1 is more aggressive than necessary.

btcarmory.com
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:37:32 PM

addnode=127.0.0.1 will make bitcoind try to connect to Armory, which is what you want, and not more. listen=1 is more aggressive than necessary.

Tried to start Bitcoin-QT (I'm using OSX and thus no bitcoind self management) with the following arguments, to no avail:

Code:
-addnode=127.0.0.1
-addnode=127.0.0.1:9150
-addnode=localhost
-addnode=localhost:9150

Armory says it is offline.

Didn't try to add that to bitcoin.conf, but I guess that the result should be the same as if I start the client from the commad line with the aforementioned arguments?

The only way I got armory to work with tor is with -listen=1, which I do not like too much as I worry I'm exposing my Bitcoin client to the world.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:45:32 PM

I thought OSX has issues with command line arguments. Add it to the .conf and get back to me.

Also, why :9150? Is this your personal setting? If so you have to set Armory to use that port too.

btcarmory.com
doug_armory

Activity: 255

Senior Developer - Armory

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 07:09:06 PM

I thought OSX has issues with command line arguments.

CL args are okay as of 0.91.

Senior Developer -  Armory Technologies, Inc.
redphlegm

Activity: 243

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:06:38 PM

First of all, my apologies if I'm going the wrong route for this type of question. I realize the development team has a very full plate with development and responding to threads such as this. If proper protocol is to plug this into an issue / suggesting tracking system, I would be happy to do so - I just didn't see one in my looking around.

I also didn't see the answer to this question anywhere else. I saw some mention of it from a year ago where it was a single line change in the python code but this question reaches beyond that, I think. Let me describe my scenario:

Let's say I am dealing with many machines (for the sake of conversation, let's say 2 desktops, 2 laptops, and an offline machine I use for Armory cold storage - all with various OS's). I would like to be able to have a master machine that is responsible for downloading the blockchain and maintaining it for the rest of the machines (especially the laptops since they have limited storage on SSDs). Is there a way to accomplish this? Ideally I would set up Desktop A as the main client that is on all the time and downloads the blockchain. The rest of the machines would use that copy of the blockchain, ideally. I don't necessarily care if the Armory DB is locally stored (for instance having it on a NAS or something on the same network). It would still be a lot less storage overhead than I'm currently dealing with.

Thanks in advance.

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW | (CGB) 5WHiSkEY8ocPHdeczVfpaGfquJK3j3Lqis
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:35:46 PM

First of all, my apologies if I'm going the wrong route for this type of question. I realize the development team has a very full plate with development and responding to threads such as this. If proper protocol is to plug this into an issue / suggesting tracking system, I would be happy to do so - I just didn't see one in my looking around.

I also didn't see the answer to this question anywhere else. I saw some mention of it from a year ago where it was a single line change in the python code but this question reaches beyond that, I think. Let me describe my scenario:

Let's say I am dealing with many machines (for the sake of conversation, let's say 2 desktops, 2 laptops, and an offline machine I use for Armory cold storage - all with various OS's). I would like to be able to have a master machine that is responsible for downloading the blockchain and maintaining it for the rest of the machines (especially the laptops since they have limited storage on SSDs). Is there a way to accomplish this? Ideally I would set up Desktop A as the main client that is on all the time and downloads the blockchain. The rest of the machines would use that copy of the blockchain, ideally. I don't necessarily care if the Armory DB is locally stored (for instance having it on a NAS or something on the same network). It would still be a lot less storage overhead than I'm currently dealing with.

Thanks in advance.

You're not the first to ask this question, and I believe the answer is still "not yet". It's possible that it's been implemented in 0.9x and I didn't notice it, but I don't think that's the case. The developers are aware of requests for this type of thing though, and have stated a commitment to providing the feature in the past.

Vires in numeris
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:08:23 AM

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's been asked before, but it's not implemented yet.

The closest you can get to that is to either

- have one machine with a regular "online" Bitcoin node, connected to the internet
- have all other local clients connect to that "online" node only, with two full blockchains on every node still

- use a different, light client, like electrum for example. You could even set up your own electrum server on one computer, as I understand it

The general problem, I believe, is that several computers accessing and writing to the same (blockchain-)database will immediately corrupt it, if no precautions are made. So this feature would need a lot of changes under the hood. And probably has a somewhat low demand, for that much effort, compared to other features..

I'm in your boat here. And I run a local "always on" node, where all other nodes connect to when they run, from time to time.

Ente
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:29:52 AM

I thought OSX has issues with command line arguments. Add it to the .conf and get back to me.

Also, why :9150? Is this your personal setting? If so you have to set Armory to use that port too.

Still not working. I tried with port 9150 too because that's the port Tor uses. Any idea on how to fix this?

EDIT: just made it work. I had to start Armory with the following argument: --satoshi-port=9150

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:18:00 PM

An update on my work in progress to get Armory to work with Tor on OSX 10.9.2 and Bitcoin Core 0.9.1

There are only two ways in which I succeed:

a) I start Bitcoin Core with the -listen=1 argument. I'm a bit fearful of this solution because while I understand what "listening to incoming connections" means, I'm not sure what are the risks involved - I'm behind a NAT router and I should probably be OK, but I'm not confident because I don't understand what kind of attack I might suffer with this config. Using -listen=1 with Bitcoin Core I just start Armory normally and it works perfectly.

b) I start Armory with the --satoshi-port=9150 argument (note: 9150 is the port Tor uses, and through which my Bitcoin Core connects). With this solution I don't need any argument on Bitcoin Core (obviously not "listen=1", but neither "addnode=127.0.0.1"), it just works... But there is a tradeoff. Armory is less stable and while it synchs OK, scans transactions correctly, and displays the right balance, the connected/disconnected word in the right bottom corner blinks non stop, switching from "discconected" to "connected" like crazy - same thing happens with the Offline/Online word on the main screen.

Just to be clear, I have this issues only because I'm using Tor, if I remove the proxy settings from Bitcoin Core thus not routing it through Tor Armory just works great without any additional arguments on Bitcoin Core or Armory.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:22:32 PM

so i just upgraded to satoshi 0.9.1.   i failed to delete 0.9.0 so how do i tell which version Armory is running off of?
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:48:35 PM

An update on my work in progress to get Armory to work with Tor on OSX 10.9.2 and Bitcoin Core 0.9.1

a) I start Bitcoin Core with the -listen=1 argument. I'm a bit fearful of this solution because while I understand what "listening to incoming connections" means, I'm not sure what are the risks involved - I'm behind a NAT router and I should probably be OK, but I'm not confident because I don't understand what kind of attack I might suffer with this config. Using -listen=1 with Bitcoin Core I just start Armory normally and it works perfectly.

b) I start Armory with the --satoshi-port=9150 argument (note: 9150 is the port Tor uses, and through which my Bitcoin Core connects). With this solution I don't need any argument on Bitcoin Core (obviously not "listen=1", but neither "addnode=127.0.0.1"), it just works... But there is a tradeoff. Armory is less stable and while it synchs OK, scans transactions correctly, and displays the right balance, the connected/disconnected word in the right bottom corner blinks non stop, switching from "discconected" to "connected" like crazy - same thing happens with the Offline/Online word on the main screen.

Just to be clear, I have this issues only because I'm using Tor, if I remove the proxy settings from Bitcoin Core thus not routing it through Tor Armory just works great without any additional arguments on Bitcoin Core or Armory.

Do not use this port. You are letting Armory connect through the Tor proxy. That's bad, Armory could possibly connect to an outside node this way, and this is what I think you are seeing with the massive disconnect.

I'm busy right now but I'll setup the Tor proxy later tonight and figure out a proper setting.

btcarmory.com
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:02:02 PM

Do not use this port. You are letting Armory connect through the Tor proxy. That's bad, Armory could possibly connect to an outside node this way, and this is what I think you are seeing with the massive disconnect.

I'm busy right now but I'll setup the Tor proxy later tonight and figure out a proper setting.

Ok, I just crapped my pants - I won't be using --satoshi-port=9150 anymore, I think you are right and I was connecting to an outside node (while I had massive disconnections, synch and balances were OK all the time, so Armory wasn't in "offline" mode but connected to a node).

Pages: « 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... 232 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.