Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:27:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521671 times)
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:07:57 AM

I guess its a feature not a bug. You receive change to other addresses then the input addresses. This is good. I have not looked fully into this but receiving change onto another address then the input addresses somehow protects your privacy plus you would even be safe if quantum computer would exist as you could easily never use the same address twice. I am not sure if you can configure if armory receives change to the same address or to a new address which will be labeled [[change received]]. What you can do, however, is use coin control in expert mode so you can set everything manually. Please make sure you don't end up being the guy who pays 200 BTC transaction fees because of a number entered in the wrong field.

You can specify any address in your wallet to receive change with the coin control feature in expert mode.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
omegaflare

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:13:16 AM

Wow.. Armory keeps crashing non-stop when sending bitcoins. This need top-stat priority fix. Otherwise I will have to stop using your product: do I make myself crystal clear?

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:20:08 AM

Wow.. Armory keeps crashing non-stop when sending bitcoins. This need top-stat priority fix. Otherwise I will have to stop using your product: do I make myself crystal clear?

Armory is brought to you at no charge. Our resources are limited, which means you need to be patient and help us diagnose these issues. So, for the 3rd time, send us your log files at support@bitcoinarmory.com

On a side note, I think I found the fix for this particular bug, which will be pushed to the next release. But again, if you don't let me see a log file, I cannot know if this bug I fixed is the one you are experiencing. Thanks for your patience.

omegaflare

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:54:58 AM

Armory is brought to you at no charge. Our resources are limited, which means you need to be patient and help us diagnose these issues. So, for the 3rd time, send us your log files at support@bitcoinarmory.com

On a side note, I think I found the fix for this particular bug, which will be pushed to the next release. But again, if you don't let me see a log file, I cannot know if this bug I fixed is the one you are experiencing. Thanks for your patience.

Please don't respond to those type of people. You do way too much for the community at no-charge! Plus we all should be thanking Trace Mayer while we at it! He allowed Alan to quit his job and make wallets of many bitcoiners that much more securer a full time job!

If you feel offended by my remark; it's a coward thing to defend someone on their behalf. It's pathetic. And besides, I have the right to complain and he takes it seriously, not you. Obviously you don't understand "customer service". I assume you're from India working at Customer Service department? If so then that explains.

omegaflare

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:09:30 AM

Anyways, export log sent! Thanks!

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 06:11:36 AM

If you feel offended by my remark; it's a coward thing to defend someone on their behalf. It's pathetic. And besides, I have the right to complain and he takes it seriously, not you. Obviously you don't understand "customer service". I assume you're from India working at Customer Service department? If so then that explains.

How many open-source projects do you know that have no revenue yet offer free, one-on-one customer service?  

We respond to as many customer service emails as we can because we want to help people use the software.  I want people to have a good experience.  But we lose a lot of productivity from it -- we could get a lot more done if we didn't respond, and I don't think anyone could blame us for that.  But we're here trying to help anyway.  If that is unsatisfactory to you, please use the another piece of software.

On that note, I just saw your email and will get back to you as soon as I can.  

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
omegaflare

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:16:39 AM

How many open-source projects do you know that have no revenue yet offer free, one-on-one customer service?  

We respond to as many customer service emails as we can because we want to help people use the software.  I want people to have a good experience.  But we lose a lot of productivity from it -- we could get a lot more done if we didn't respond, and I don't think anyone could blame us for that.  But we're here trying to help anyway.  If that is unsatisfactory to you, please use the another piece of software.

On that note, I just saw your email and will get back to you as soon as I can.  

I am not going to apologize my remark I made earlier against you. I understand this software is in BETA; I get it, I do. But it's not ready for public release; so expect a lot of criticism from people and trolls alike on this forum. If you can't handle it, don't release the product. A good customer service is complementary to a good product. 

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 06:20:40 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 04:51:58 AM by etotheipi

Okay, mandatory 12 hour timeout.  Please no more discussion on this topic.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 03:33:37 AM

any plans to integrate BIP32?

is multisig coming soon?
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 09:02:50 AM

For real? Did someone pay 200 BTC in transaction fee?! LOL! SO FUNNY! Anyways, that's besides the point. The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Another thing you can do: check "hide change" and that will hide all of the associated bitcoin address with [[change received]] address. It's a nice feature to have, so perhaps I overlooked this feature. You're right, it's not a bug; thanks for clearing this up. Kudos.

[[change received]] labels an address as having being used for change. The address is of course still valid, as it holds your change. the Bitcoin protocol strongly recommends to not reuse addresses, mainly to protect your privacy. So, as default, Armory picks a new address in your wallet every time it needs to send you back change. The corollary is that Armory will not pick that address again for change, and it will mark it as such, so that you may abide to that recommendation.

Of course this remains a recommendation. Addresses marked as change do not have their mechanics altered in any way, and you can use them to receive other payments at your leisure. It simply is considered bad practice, and Armory makes a point of offering you the opportunity to use the recommended way as described in Satoshi's white paper.

Re-using addresses to me is a good feature of bitcoin. Why are programs trying to stop that? When you have a donation address, a payment address, an address just associated with your company you would want people to know that address. Let the user make up their mind and do what they want instead of the program, right? Almot %90 of the users here paste their personal bitcoin address in their signature. It is more of a common practice to re-use addresses then anything and when a program or someone tries to just change that, questions will be asked....hence an entire thread.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:57:30 AM

Re-using addresses to me is a good feature of bitcoin. Why are programs trying to stop that? When you have a donation address, a payment address, an address just associated with your company you would want people to know that address. Let the user make up their mind and do what they want instead of the program, right? Almot %90 of the users here paste their personal bitcoin address in their signature. It is more of a common practice to re-use addresses then anything and when a program or someone tries to just change that, questions will be asked....hence an entire thread.
Address reuse is privacy pollution.
oser41eric

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:32:17 PM

I know you considered adding option to transfer the unsigned file to offline computer using sound (sound card) and back. Any progress in this ?
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:48:05 PM

There was a problem with the android RNG a while back and people who reused addresses had all their funds stolen.  It's just safer.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:05:06 PM

I know you considered adding option to transfer the unsigned file to offline computer using sound (sound card) and back. Any progress in this ?

That's my responsibility. However it isn't at the top of my priority list just yet. Busy with a wallet recovery tool and Trezor integration for now.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:28:47 PM

You are losing track of the conversation. I was presenting the concept of address renewal as recommended by Satoshi's white paper and implemented in Armory in the context of change addresses, in order to explain the tagged change addresses. I don't really know at which point you had it all slip into "address re-use is bad, we are trying to to put an end to it"

You fail to see the benefit here apparently. You receive coins in address A and B. You spend some with A and get change back in C. You spend some with B and get change back with C. Now A and B are linked.

The issue at hand isn't to force people into a certain behavior. That stance is actually untrue as far as Armory is concerned. With expert mode and coin control, you can reuse addresses as much as you like.

The issue at hand is to make sure people do not compromise their privacy by default. Change is an automated concept, for reasons I doubt anyone would oppose. As such, this automation shouldn't reveal informations that it doesn't have to by default. Then there is expert mode, for those who wish to consciously alter that automation.

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:34:55 PM

That's my responsibility. However it isn't at the top of my priority list just yet. Busy with a wallet recovery tool and Trezor integration for now.
http://www.anfractuosity.com/projects/ultrasound-via-a-laptop/
for example Wink

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 04:59:30 PM

A Christmas present [err... holiday gift] for the Mac users!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-releases/armory_0.90-beta_OSX.app.tar.gz
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-releases/armory_0.90-beta_OSX_sha256sum.txt.asc

The build isn't perfect, but it appears to be quite usable.  Thanks to picobit for making the script that made this possible!

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:31:34 PM

http://www.anfractuosity.com/projects/ultrasound-via-a-laptop/
for example Wink

Interesting project. Not fit for Armory's use case sadly. We're looking to send the data over wires, with speed in mind.

opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 10:43:13 PM

And that should up to the user to do with what he/she wants to do with his/her privacy. Why would other people care what I do?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 11:36:00 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2013, 12:06:12 AM by etotheipi

And that should up to the user to do with what he/she wants to do with his/her privacy. Why would other people care what I do?

Because it's not expected of the user to know how to optimize their own privacy.  It's up to us to set sane defaults and educate users about what they sacrifice by deviating from that.

Unfortunately, Bitcoin privacy is pretty bad and reusing addresses pretty much completely deanonamizes you. Every one you interact with can see you r entire history and balance. It's pretty atrocious.

Not only that, but by doing that you damage the privacy of everyone that interacts with you.  It's in everyone's best interest to discourage address reuse, especially when the software uses deterministic wallets and backups are not an issue

Pages: « 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: