Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:02:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: and Gox... is baaack in the game  (Read 2664 times)
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 10:19:00 PM

How does one buy a bankrupt business when its still going though the court system?

Coindesk is quickly becoming nothing more than an internet tabloid  Roll Eyes

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 11:22:09 PM

How does one buy a bankrupt business when its still going though the court system?

Coindesk is quickly becoming nothing more than an internet tabloid  Roll Eyes

Well maybe not in this case, there is a possibility for sure to make a deal even while case is open.

what is about a Coindesk: this is true that many informations that they are "sharing" with us seems #tabloid

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 12:37:55 AM

With the approval of the court.

"The investor group behind the bid includes venture capitalist Brock Pierce, founder of a number of bitcoin-related businesses including KnCMiner and GoCoin, and the creator of a prominent bitcoin syndicate.

Other members of the group include John Betts, a former Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs executive who would serve as the new Mt. Gox CEO, and William Quigley, managing director for Clearstone Venture Partners, a VC fund based in Santa Monica, California."

The new owners take over all the debts.
Case closed.

roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 12:55:42 PM

With the approval of the court.

"The investor group behind the bid includes venture capitalist Brock Pierce, founder of a number of bitcoin-related businesses including KnCMiner and GoCoin, and the creator of a prominent bitcoin syndicate.

Other members of the group include John Betts, a former Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs executive who would serve as the new Mt. Gox CEO, and William Quigley, managing director for Clearstone Venture Partners, a VC fund based in Santa Monica, California."

The new owners take over all the debts.
Case closed.

Indeed.  I hope they will repay Goxed users in nearest future. Just imagine how great effect it could make to a value of bitcoin.
Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:16:03 PM

So, um... I'll buy MtGox for 2 BTC and execute the same plan!  Mark..?

Buy Mt.Gox for 2BTC and repay MtGox users lost Tongue

this is not just so simple to buy MtGox and recover it from burned ashes to fenix.
Well, it does appear to be that simple from the terms laid out by the "investor" group.  The fact is, the investors aren't putting anything more than 1 BTC into the company.  They'd be using the existing 200,000 BTC to pay out to creditors, and then the existing exchange to generate more income to pay back the creditors over time.

The "investors" would essentially be getting 50% of all future profits at zero expense or risk to themselves.

That is ... amazing ... I am not judging anyone ("investors") but IF those investors are working in group with Mark K.... this will be biggest scam in BTC history ever done..

But perhaps ... if they will repay the creditors I do mind - let them to that - and my suggest is - when you will get your Goxed money back - delete your MtGox account and never ever come back.
What is amazing to me is that people aren't just immediately seeing right through this.  I think an offer to buy out the company without actually putting any money into it or using their own funds to make the debts right is complete BS.

The lack of reading comprehension is one of the many reasons why so many people have been scammed and will continue to be scammed.

they see a terrible "offer" to buy mt gox and run around acting like it's actually happening and suggesting something similar as a solution to other exchanges that managed to lose years worth of revenue due to incompetence/scams/whatever.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 10:24:08 PM

wouldn't the morons be the people who continue to use the service if gox came back online ?

So gox is coming back to rob users again and then runaway again , nice startegy morons.

Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:38:37 AM

Coindesk is quickly becoming nothing more than an internet tabloid  Roll Eyes

There are very many stages of a deal, especially "short sales", rest assured the court is supervising the finial outcome.

Personally, I think the community should get together and make a better system, there's no need to buy a purposefully broken system unless it is part of a structured settlement -- 'take it or leave it'. 

However, I think a criminal court should also have some involvement in the matter.

I have to admit, I really didn't think gox would going to give back anything whatsoever, with btc driven to the ground apparently the bigger whales were willing to empty the whole pond jut to make sure Gox doesn't swim free.

When it's all said and done, I doubt if Karp sees his 40 birthday, he's just too much in love with fraud. 
OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1059

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:49:29 AM
Last edit: April 13, 2014, 11:28:09 AM by OhShei8e

http://www.coindesk.com/investor-group-offers-buy-mt-gox-one-bitcoin/

Creditors will have two options. They can either receive a prorated amount from the 200,000 bitcoins recovered by Mt. Gox equal to roughly 20 percent of their claim, or obtain an equity stake of that amount in the revitalized Mt. Gox exchange.

The investor group pledged to set aside 50% of transaction fees to pay back creditors over time.

I do not understand the logic behind this. They give me 20% of my equities in shares or in cash. But currently I have 100% in equities (Gox Coins)! Why should I go into this deal? After Mark Marie Robert 'soonish' Karpeles has transformed my very hard-earned Bitcoins into Gox Coins, these new investors are now going to take even 80% of these Gox coins too?
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 11:46:57 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/investor-group-offers-buy-mt-gox-one-bitcoin/

Creditors will have two options. They can either receive a prorated amount from the 200,000 bitcoins recovered by Mt. Gox equal to roughly 20 percent of their claim, or obtain an equity stake of that amount in the revitalized Mt. Gox exchange.

The investor group pledged to set aside 50% of transaction fees to pay back creditors over time.

I do not understand the logic behind this. They give me 20% of my equities in shares or in cash. But currently I have 100% in equities (Gox Coins)! Why should I go into this deal? After Mark Marie Robert 'soonish' Karpeles has transformed my very hard-earned Bitcoins into Gox Coins, these new investors are now going to take even 80% of these Gox coins too?
That 20% is immediate pay from recovered coins, rest will users get over time. That is what I uderstand from it.
Of course, gox users need to be confirmed creditors by rehabitilation claim in order to know the whole debt. We still did not do it and waiting for a proccess.
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 12:00:46 PM

But even with all goods and bads I think situation looks much better than a month ago.
Case in court is needed as well to recover all  lost.

OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1059

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 12:19:11 PM

That 20% is immediate pay from recovered coins, rest will users get over time. That is what I uderstand from it.
Of course, gox users need to be confirmed creditors by rehabitilation claim in order to know the whole debt.

How do we get "confirmed". I'm living in Germany. No one has contacted us so far.

pblack4

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:04:42 AM

I don't understand why people would choose the 50% fee option

The old mtgox had an average daily volume of 50K BTC; if we suppose the same for the new god (likely much less) and an average fee of 0.30%, you would get a little less than 3% of your old credit back each year..and you will reach 20% in 7-8 years and 100% in 30 years!

I really hope the new investors have same great plans to relaunch the new exchange and help it grows to process 10x, 100x the old average daily volume
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:25:55 PM

Stealing the loot of others to protect the crown's trade routes is nothing new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privateer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgan

Just we don't use ships any more, we use banks and contract law. Wink

dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:37:54 PM

The sad thing is that it is so damn hard and time-consuming to get a new site to be loved by google, and to get the name out there and well-known, and to build a customer base, that it makes more sense to do this than to simply start a new exchange. I imagine that is a huge part of why they're bothering to buy the guts of such a failed exchange.

Gox has a bad reputation but damn near everyone who has ever owned a satoshi knows the name Gox.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:42:20 PM

The sad thing is that it is so damn hard and time-consuming to get a new site to be loved by google, and to get the name out there and well-known, and to build a customer base, that it makes more sense to do this than to simply start a new exchange. I imagine that is a huge part of why they're bothering to buy the guts of such a failed exchange.

Gox has a bad reputation but damn near everyone who has ever owned a satoshi knows the name Gox.

The tainted brand is still a strong brand.
However, Gox is worse than tainted and they probably need a new name.
The "captive audience" comes from people who want their money back.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: