Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:33:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A sneak peak at the future of Bitcoin Cold Storage  (Read 13432 times)
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:05:19 PM

Totally gonna match my Vision spinner!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NHMfxwH2v7U/Ui4V2nwVT6I/AAAAAAAAFCA/laOqdf19mSg/s2048-no/vision-spinner-rainbow.jpg Tongue

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fermin

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:32:17 PM

Beautiful as hell!!!  Grin

I want one!
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 01:21:35 AM

wow
aeternum.in

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:44:20 AM

I gave a short presentation of the device and showed around the 4th Generation prototype last night at a small Bitcoin Cocktail here in Milan, Italy. It went really well and had a chance to speak with a number of people doing some very interesting things in the Italian Bitcoin (and world) community. So, here's looking forward! :-)
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 04:36:12 AM

its nice.. its sleek.. its pretty.. 

that said.  i printed out a paper wallet.. folded it several times and put in in an envelope.  i then sealed the envelope and signed across the flap.  i figure i'm just as secure with my coins as in this device.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 05:42:49 AM

that said.  i printed out a paper wallet.. folded it several times and put in in an envelope.  i then sealed the envelope and signed across the flap.  i figure i'm just as secure with my coins as in this device.
That method doesn't use multi sig so no. It's not as safe as this device.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:05:00 AM

for multisig you need several devices stored at different locations.
i hope i can find a few envelopes

i will say it looks better in a safe than envelopes.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:00:54 AM

Those do look fantastic. Beautiful and functional, like a good woman.  Grin

manamex

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:14:54 PM

I wonder, assuming someone else gets access to it.
Is the chip used to store the key temper resistant comparable with the hardware lever of security used for smart cards?
aeternum.in

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:20:14 AM

Think of it like this- I'm not advocating using only one method of cold storage. Indeed, I think people holding bitcoins today at $600 are crazy with only one Cold Storage method when perhaps in 10 years one bitcoin could be worth $100,000 or pie-in-the-sky Million. Who in their right mind would put 1 Million dollars in an envelop and sign across the flap? (You could steam that open WWII spy style no problem by the way).

But you're not crazy for doing it- it's smart, smart, smart. What I'm saying is that it's a little crazy to sleep well at night with ONLY your signature across the flap. I'm not sure how many bitcoins you have or what you think they will one day be worth, but security is about planning for as many possible scenarios as possible, and this product helps you to do that- with style. :-)

Here are more 5th version prototype images. The thing on the far right is the design for the internal capsule. Which I know is going to get a hell of a lot of 14 year old comments. :-) Like I said, it just happens to be the simplest secure shape. So, take that as you will. :-)

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0505/3357/files/5th-Version_small_grande.jpg?286
aeternum.in

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:23:28 AM

I wonder, assuming someone else gets access to it.
Is the chip used to store the key temper resistant comparable with the hardware lever of security used for smart cards?

Yes and no. The chip is a standard NFC chip so technically depending how you encode it you COULD enforce smart card level security, but it's not really necessary for most users. It's more important to use it with Multi-Sig so that if someone gets ahold of one, they still don't have your bitcoin. You could make possession of all of the devices more difficult to use, if that was really your goal, but I had created the device with the idea that once you have all the devices it's easy to get your bitcoin in safe reliable way. People are better at protecting physical goods then they are digital- hiding something someplace secure or putting it in a vault is a more reliable and intuitive way of protecting something than encrypting it in fancy ways. The casual user is more likely to mess up the encryption part, not the putting it in their safe part.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:34:51 AM

Darnm, this is cool. Give one of those ability to alert it's owner when it's broken and you have hell of a piece of hardware. Superman crystal resemblence cant be bad  Grin

aeternum.in

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:49:49 AM

Darnm, this is cool. Give one of those ability to alert it's owner when it's broken and you have hell of a piece of hardware. Superman crystal resemblence cant be bad  Grin

Thats an interesting idea- although I'm not sure exactly how one could do that- radio signal? GPS? all of these things would can be blocked, and would be blocked by any serious thief. Although I suppose the device you put it in could be protected in some way.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:51:42 AM

Thats an interesting idea- although I'm not sure exactly how one could do that- radio signal? GPS? all of these things would can be blocked, and would be blocked by any serious thief. Although I suppose the device you put it in could be protected in some way.

I didint give it much tought really...only cool idea  Smiley

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:32:40 PM

[...] Although I suppose the device you put it in could be protected in some way.

Put the aeternum in a floor safe, before you install the safe, install wires for power (one off main, one off an UPS) and Ethernet (one yours, one your neighbours or a 3G dongle) through the floor and through the back. That way it is not visible once it's all finished. Then put an RPi in the safe as well, have a switch on the door that opens / closes a circuit if the safe door opens. If that happens the RPi sends out an email / SMS to alert you or sounds an alarm or calls your friendly neighbourhood watch. Additionally have a script on the RPi that pushes a "dead man handle switch" every so often on a remote server. If it doesn't (your safe got nuked or power / internet failure etc.) you'll get an alert too.

Problem solved :-)

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 09:48:33 PM

It looks like I will be at CoinSummit in London the 10+11th of July. So if anyone is around interested in talking about the device, I will be there!

:-)

more or less retired.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 12:05:22 AM

I have to say that these are some pretty damn cool "Gold Pressed Latinum" looking tubes!!  Great job!

aeternum.in

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:57:34 PM

I had a chance to show the Aeternum KeyVault around today at La Maison du Bitcoin in Paris. What a cool space! Not only do I wish I lived in Paris because it's so beautiful, but because La Maison du Bitcoin is such a beautiful Coworking with cool energy!

Also check out the new case for the devices- a high impact resin case. I'm thinking about selling the devices direct in this case as well.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0505/3357/files/masiondubitcoin_6_large.jpg?310
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0505/3357/files/masiondubitcoin_2_large.jpg?310
aeternum.in

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 02:43:53 PM

I will be at CoinSummit tomorrow and Friday, so if you spot me walking around with the Black Case and would like to check out the KeyVault in person, by all means- please say hi!
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:50:47 PM

And update: We've begun developing the system for 'fingerprinting' the unique identity of every device made, and are currently working with Storj.io to create a system where the fingerprints are stored in a distributed disk system on a blockchain, with the hash of the fingerprint attached to the manufacturer code on the inside. Very exciting! Take a look and see:

Good luck trying to counterfeit that- it's not only a scan of the physical internal structure, but the internal molecular structure as well. :-)

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: