Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:24:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [DEAD] Coiledcoin - yet another cryptocurrency, but with OP_EVAL!  (Read 67982 times)
MrWizard

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:56:46 AM

Smalll change test coin is running, I think diff is small there. Also anyone plans to releae SHA3 currency? And if I for example really wanted to mine some coin with a friend I would simply restart it again and again till its still fun lol And if Luke did not process blocks others could still process them right? From what I understood even if someone got 51% they can only double spend their blocks not others since then they would have to resolve every block back in time right?
Well, don't connect to the block chain used by the above block explorer.  Its last block is dated ~15 days ago - 2013-04-20 13:06:52

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 10:00:15 AM

I have a vague memory-of-a-memory of something about the BDB problems that led to the recent Bitcoin fork being able to abort a branch due to a BDB error, the error being handled in such a way the block was treated as bad instead of the system realising it had no real idea whether the block was actually bad because it simply ran out of BDB locks when trying to work with the problem.

That is, a re-org attempt would run out of locks and think like "oh I guess I was fine without a re-org".

It was why the bitcoin fork was going the way it was going I think, nodes with low BDB lock count would crap out trying to take one path of the fork and assume it was a bad block instead of realising they didn't have enough locks to be able to really process the thing to find out it was not a bad block just a bad (too low) BDB locks count limit.

We need to apply the merged mining patches to a recent but good/stable bitcoin to make a "bitcoin with ONLY the merged mining patches applied" repository, then each merged mined coin can individually fork off of that to add their own unique patches that make them the particular merged mined chain that they are. They could all do with a code update/upgrade.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:19:02 AM

I've taken my node with what I assume is the dead chain offline and am trying to redownload a new blockchain. I'll see what one I end up getting.
My redownload has now got the non-dead chain. Hopefully that one will disappear as nodes using it go offline.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 07:53:17 PM

We really need someone to apply merged mining patches to bitcoin and make just that into a github repo.

Maybe all the merged mined coins could gang up to offer a multi-currency bounty for that or something?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
afroman1131

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:00:39 AM

Does anyone see this coin possibly making a comeback>?

S P O R T S F I X           ●   BE A GAME CHANGER   ●
|     Whitepaper     |     Twitter     |     Telegram     |     Medium     |
████████████ [ Join SPORTSFIX ] ████████████
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:02:20 AM

Does anyone see this coin possibly making a comeback>?
If an exchange took it, possibly, If not, probably not.
Kyune

Activity: 287

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:52:19 AM

Seed node?  My client doesn't connect.

BTC:  1K4VpdQXQhgmTmq68rbWhybvoRcyNHKyVP
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:53:56 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 03:56:17 AM by markm

dvcstable01.dvcnode.org

-MarkM-

nesic1

Activity: 636
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:10:02 AM

where to download windows client, also any website for basic information, sha/scrypt
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 03:45:45 AM

I am sure it all got taken down after the 51% attack.
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 03:55:24 AM

Anyone want to help me out with a few node IPs?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 03:58:19 AM

dvcstable01.dvcnode.org and dvcstable02.dvcnode.org

But that old software might not take hostnames, only raw IP addresses: 198.154.60.183 and 198.154.60.61

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 10:14:46 PM

This one is still running just fine.

I guess some day it, like all the merged mined coins, will be needing rsnel's RAM-usage fix that has already been applied to several of the merged mined coins, but so far it has been humming along nicely for years without it.

Has anyone actually tried the OP_EVAL thing?

Afterall enabling that so it can be tested was part of the purpose of this coin.

-MarkM-

eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 02:53:27 PM

This one is still running just fine.

I guess some day it, like all the merged mined coins, will be needing rsnel's RAM-usage fix that has already been applied to several of the merged mined coins, but so far it has been humming along nicely for years without it.

Has anyone actually tried the OP_EVAL thing?

Afterall enabling that so it can be tested was part of the purpose of this coin.

-MarkM-

My ram usage is about 7GB with this coin, doesn't really go higher than that. If I can figure out jaycoin's pool code, I'll put up a private pool so it can be merge-mined for anyone who wants coiledcoin.

eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 02:40:48 PM

Can someone (Luke? Mark?) elaborate on the problem Luke described as a result of the attack? Are all blocks prior to Luke's attack invalid/unspendable, or is it just his blocks? How many blocks are we talking about?

I show the current block count as just above 400k, which is short of what it should be according to makomk's target.

-Eric

mmpool

Activity: 375

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 12:41:19 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2014, 01:36:08 PM by mmpool

I have attempted to apply rsnel's RAM usage fix. Repository is on github if you want to try it. It's the topmost commit. I've successfully downloaded the blockchain with it using a few hundred MB of RAM. I have not yet tried mining with it.

Edit: Tested merge mining, and mined about 10 blocks, it seems to work.

mmpool.org - BTC Pool - DGM - pays tx fees/vardiff/merge mining/tor
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 01:36:37 AM

This and GeistGeld were why I had to run my own merged mining: because mmpool did not include them in its merge.

I used p2pool so as not to be solo-mining the bitcoins, but once I got KnC Neptunes I ran into problems, I could not get anywhere near the full hashing power out of my Neptune on my p2pool.

So I ended up using mpool, but still had half a terahash or so of hashing pointed at my p2pool in order to continue to get some coiledcoins and geistgeld.

Unfortunately I had not gotten around to trying your fixed coiledcoin until just now, when I had been forced to take down my p2pool because of a mandatory upgrade that refuses to work with ancient bitcoind. My whole merged mining setup was on third party servers that were still stuck on Fedora 17, long story. Could not build new bitcoind so cannot use new p2pool so end of merged mining for me for now.

It would be really nice if you could add coiledcoin to mmpool's merge. Even nicer would be if you could also add geistgeld. Heck even if you cannot have it do geistgeld full speed it'd be something, and maybe it would be possible to work out what really is the limit on block speed, since geistgeld was intended as an experiment to see how fast blocks could, in practice, be run. If geistgeld really is too fast then maybe what speed to slow it down to to make it practical could be worked out and it could be updated to that speed?

I am running your fixed coiledcoin right now on Ubuntu systems. I can build/run bitcoind on those so once I get all set up with all the coin daemons I will be able to run p2pool so that I can at least experiment with low hashing power. No one seems to know why my Neptune could not run at full speed pointed at p2pool but I can point some other hashers at it as I have been doing ever since my Neptunes started arriving.

-MarkM-

mmpool

Activity: 375

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 06:59:11 AM

I am running your fixed coiledcoin right now on Ubuntu systems. I can build/run bitcoind on those so once I get all set up with all the coin daemons I will be able to run p2pool so that I can at least experiment with low hashing power. No one seems to know why my Neptune could not run at full speed pointed at p2pool but I can point some other hashers at it as I have been doing ever since my Neptunes started arriving.
I've thought about running coiledcoin but it has no traction so I didn't. In the past adding a coin was painful since it required users to re-register to gain the new coin. But now I can take the approach I took with unobtanium and give miners a default address so it's possible. I'll give it some thought.

mmpool.org - BTC Pool - DGM - pays tx fees/vardiff/merge mining/tor
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 02:40:56 PM

Chickens and eggs. No miners = no traction. Smiley

Especially around here, where every time a coin comes out that does not involve mining its announce thread starts accumulating compliants and scam-accusations!

Admittedly exchanges also give traction, but there are advantages to not being on exchanges, because regulators are more likely to question a game-currency's status as being "just a token used in games" if exchanges for it officially exist. (Notice that until quite recently most/all large MMORPGs forbade buying/selling game stuff for real money? Until a year or few ago some big name one put a real money market right into its game, likely after racking up oodles of expensive legal fees...)

Player groups such as guilds, parties, associations and such like GRouPcoin not just because it has GRouP in the name but also because it does not "officially" have exchanges to/from "real money"...

CoiLedCoin thus far has that same "niche advantage".

Hunter coin's merged mining in SHA256 never worked for me so I gave up trying to include it in my merge.

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2018, 11:07:12 AM

I notice an increase in nodes, not sure how many actual new users that is but several new nodes came online recently. Same with GRouPcoin.

It is certainly not a dead coin.

Check out my lists of supported assets for Horizon and Stellar networks at http://makemoney.knotwork.com/

-MarkM-

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: