Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:33:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinShuffle: Practical Decentralized Coin Mixing for Bitcoin  (Read 23723 times)
coinzcoinzcoinz

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:04:31 PM

Is this system better than DarkCoin (which is not CoinJoin like many people believe)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:49:35 PM

Is this system better than DarkCoin (which is not CoinJoin like many people believe)?

Has the DarkCoin mixing algorithm been made open source?
coinzcoinzcoinz

Activity: 530

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:34:43 AM

Has the DarkCoin mixing algorithm been made open source?
Kristov Atlas reviewed it, you might want to read it. Or wait a week, since open source is in a week.
CoinHeavy

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:07:36 AM

Is anyone aware of ongoing blockchain forensics tracking notable coins?
Have pretty much all stolen/hacked/scammed coins been obfuscated via mixing/shuffling?
kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 02:28:25 AM

paper looks pretty solid

rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:51:32 AM

Is a full working version of coinshuffle being developed? The research site says the current version was just a proof of concept for testing and not usable for real coins.
instagibbs

Activity: 114
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 07:43:09 PM

Is a full working version of coinshuffle being developed? The research site says the current version was just a proof of concept for testing and not usable for real coins.

Amir says it's being worked on for Dark Wallet.
oriolpont

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 07:41:02 PM

I thought they were implementing CoinJoin instead.
EDIT: true, Amir confirmed that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ijsw1/the_coming_of_darkwallet/cl2qow6

On the other hand, I see a problem with CoinShuffle. The participants are supposed to sign their messages "with their addresses"; this assumes that the inputs they provide were paid to standard P2PH addresses, but they cannot use outputs sent to P2SH (those starting with a 3, e.g., "multi sig" addresses). Participants could still be required to reveal their script and then sign their handshaking rounds with a key contained there (if there is any).
LondonMP

Activity: 365
Merit: 250

I/O Digital Where Dreams Become Technology

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:01:30 AM

Fibrecoin developed and released a privacy solution that is based on CoinShuffle
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=737771.msg10834848#msg10834848

Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 01:41:37 AM

Dark uses coinjoin. A system like this would eliminate Dark and all the other altcoins using coinjoin.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 10:09:38 PM

I thought they were implementing CoinJoin instead.
EDIT: true, Amir confirmed that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ijsw1/the_coming_of_darkwallet/cl2qow6

On the other hand, I see a problem with CoinShuffle. The participants are supposed to sign their messages "with their addresses"; this assumes that the inputs they provide were paid to standard P2PH addresses, but they cannot use outputs sent to P2SH (those starting with a 3, e.g., "multi sig" addresses). Participants could still be required to reveal their script and then sign their handshaking rounds with a key contained there (if there is any).

Darkwallet's webpage still lists coinjoin as their shuffling method. Anyone know the status of Dark Wallet's coinshuffle implementation or any other implementations?
https://www.darkwallet.is/
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 09:29:12 AM

NXT has implemented CoinShuffle now. It will be available in the next major release (1.6.x)

CohibAA

Activity: 223
Merit: 130

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 05:57:17 AM

I've followed the JoinMarket project which I recently discovered, but I just came across this.  Is this project still active, and if so, where can I find current information?  How would this compare to JoinMarket transactions?

jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 05:04:08 PM

Jumblr implements a fully decentralized coinshuffle. The fee is 0.1% for bitcoin, it should work for other coins also, but bitcoin shuffling is the only one that matters.

I am looking for someone to head up the marketing for this. It just went into testing this weekend.

It uses the InstantDEX/SuperNET network for the directory, but the actual coinshuffle is all between the participating nodes.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
TimRuffing (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 09:04:55 AM

I've followed the JoinMarket project which I recently discovered, but I just came across this.  Is this project still active, and if so, where can I find current information?  How would this compare to JoinMarket transactions?

Quoting myself:
I've just started a collaboration with Kristov Atlas. We will write a BIP draft including a more detailed, development-oriented specification of the protocol including all the nitty-gritty details. We also plan talk to wallet developers and I will definitively write some code as soon as a reasonable version of the BIP is there. Contributions and collaborations are welcome in all stages, of course. Smiley
We'll provide more information, including a mailing list, soon.

Regarding JoinMarket, I'm not sure. It seems that it is not so sophisticated as CoinShuffle, but that's rather a first guess. Is there a technical description of how it works under the hood? I can only find descriptions of how to use it.
Also, JoinMarket seems to understand the problem as a economic one and someone is gets fees for enabling the mixing. CoinShuffle is different here, the participants just pay the single transactions fee for the CoinJoin transaction, which is very low and can even be split among all participants. But there is no party that gets an additional mixing fee (on top of the transaction fee).
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:22:27 AM

I was just pointed here from the joinmarket IRC and wonder if there is anything to add to the OP? Is there code being worked on? Is it production ready?

Bitcoin needs improved fungibility and it needs it yesterday. I remember how back in the days of BitcoinSpinner a trade partner told me that I had $xxx going through my address, which I wasn't aware at that point, and bip44 only marginally improves the situation. Most people using bitcoin today, assuming privacy, will have a surprise once they realize how horrible the bitcoin privacy actually is.

I see a couple of issues with this approach:

1. You need other participants in order to use coinshuffle. What happens when no one at the moment wants to coinshuffle X amount of Bitcoins with you? Do you just wait around?

2. Given the huge political hurdle of adding anything at the bitcoin protocol level..I presume this is not going to be at the protocol level?

Bitcoin will never truly be fungible until changes at the protocol level are made for all bitcoins in existence.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2015, 02:15:51 AM

Quoting myself:
I've just started a collaboration with Kristov Atlas. We will write a BIP draft including a more detailed, development-oriented specification of the protocol including all the nitty-gritty details. We also plan talk to wallet developers and I will definitively write some code as soon as a reasonable version of the BIP is there. Contributions and collaborations are welcome in all stages, of course. Smiley
We'll provide more information, including a mailing list, soon.

Regarding JoinMarket, I'm not sure. It seems that it is not so sophisticated as CoinShuffle, but that's rather a first guess. Is there a technical description of how it works under the hood? I can only find descriptions of how to use it.
Also, JoinMarket seems to understand the problem as a economic one and someone is gets fees for enabling the mixing. CoinShuffle is different here, the participants just pay the single transactions fee for the CoinJoin transaction, which is very low and can even be split among all participants. But there is no party that gets an additional mixing fee (on top of the transaction fee).

Hi TimRuffing and Kristov Atlas,

sorry for having missed this last post somehow in my other comment.

I'd really love to help with such a reference implementation, with a wallet-integration-perspective. At Mycelium we see fungibility as a very urgent issue and having worked on a JoinMarket Proxy myself, I feel like JoinMarket might be a dead end precisely due to what CoinShuffle claims to solve. At least from the Wallet-perspective.

For this, I wonder what harm would be done if the current state of implementation was already public for others to tinker with.

I'm particularly interested in ease of integration with wallets and my focus in Joinmarket there was to not share private keys with the mixing module, which in the link above was a server but for mobile wallets could be an app working like the orbot TOR proxy locally on the device.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 09:49:05 AM

This loos nice, but if we need to change the core protocol for this, than I'm not really down. We have several altcoins to do exactly this.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2015, 04:16:43 PM

This loos nice, but if we need to change the core protocol for this, than I'm not really down. We have several altcoins to do exactly this.

It's one of it's properties to not need a protocol change. All the blinding and shuffling happens outside of the protocol and then all parties sign the resulting transaction which again is just a regular coinjoin transaction.

The reason they are working on a BIP is probably to standardize the process, not to hard-fork bitcoin.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 01:10:47 AM

I feel like JoinMarket might be a dead end precisely due to what CoinShuffle claims to solve.
That is remarkably inexplicable to me.  JM is very actively developed by a community of developers. It was created with basically no anti-DOS mechanisms, though the original CJ post (technically the "appendix" post I made right below it) went over several different anti-DOS mechanisms, because it's perfectly reasonable to get something working before making it strong-- especially since JM's main motivation is gumming up automated analysis more than itself providing strong privacy.

But it's quite straight-forward to add in strong anti-DOS and better privacy, on top of a working and vibrant system; doubly so in that the coinshuffle description provides no special structural immunity to those dos attacks: the same anti-dos mechanisms are needed.  You shouldn't let that fact that a single person in the JM space is advocating one anti-dos method that would harm casual usage as at all indicative of ... well, anything.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: