Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:55:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wrong bitcoin address  (Read 965 times)
pepemontera (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 10:28:21 AM

Hi,
I bought some btc from virwox. I made a mistake with autorefill of the address field and sent it to an address i used long time ago in a web that has closed months ago. I did not used in a wallet ( I never understood its working...)I see the bitcoins are "not yet redeeemed". Is there any way I could recover that amount?
Thanks in advance!
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter882

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 10:36:01 AM

Is that transaction confirmed?
If yes, the only thing you can do is to try to contact the owner of the address (the web you mentioned).

Other than that, there is no way you can recover the bitcoin.

pepemontera (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 01:06:13 PM

i cant believe is gone. there must be a code or something saying it was used by me... I used to pay another address. that web is dead... says "not yet redeemed"....
Thanks again
pepemontera (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:28:00 PM

there must be a way...
Malte

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:07:24 PM

It seems nobody bothered to answer this (this is pretty basic knowledge):

A bitcoin address is like an unbreakable deposit box. Someone has the key to it (or the key is lost). Once the coins are inside the deposit box (i.e. sent, like you did). You can ever only get them out with the key (called private key).

If that key is lost, the coins are gone forever.

So in your case, I'd try to contact the "web" (-service?) you used to host your wallet. What was the name of this service?

Was there any backup or passphrase or anything you had to store or write down that might be used to regenerate your private key?
pepemontera (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:02:32 PM

thanks a lot Malte!
pepemontera (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:24:18 PM

i was completing a field with auto refill.... first suggestion was that address. I am not sure what I used it  for.... I can't even recover any trace from any old transaction. I can't believe there is not any way to recover at least the information in which web i used it to contact the owner.
pepemontera (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:33:39 AM

It seems nobody bothered to answer this (this is pretty basic knowledge):

A bitcoin address is like an unbreakable deposit box. Someone has the key to it (or the key is lost). Once the coins are inside the deposit box (i.e. sent, like you did). You can ever only get them out with the key (called private key).

If that key is lost, the coins are gone forever.

So in your case, I'd try to contact the "web" (-service?) you used to host your wallet. What was the name of this service?

Was there any backup or passphrase or anything you had to store or write down that might be used to regenerate your private key?

The problem is that used that address and don't know if I had used before or where belongs.
Can I claim refund? Whom?
çThanks again.
redwhitenblue

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 01:45:37 AM

Hi,
I bought some btc from virwox. I made a mistake with autorefill of the address field and sent it to an address i used long time ago in a web that has closed months ago. I did not used in a wallet ( I never understood its working...)I see the bitcoins are "not yet redeeemed". Is there any way I could recover that amount?
Thanks in advance!

If you are saying that the address you sent the coins to was a deposit address of some kind of website that has since closed down then your chances of retrieving your funds are slim to none. You could attempt to find contact information of the owner of the website, however even being able to contact then is a long shot as the contact email could have been an email for that domain. Even if you do get in touch with the owner of the website there is a very good chance that s/he will no longer have access to the database that held all of the private keys.

If you are saying that the bitcoins are "unspent" when you say "not yet redeemed" then that simply means they are available to be spent. That is similar to saying that you have a balance in your "account"
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 01:48:46 AM

The problem is that used that address and don't know if I had used before or where belongs.
Can I claim refund? Whom?
çThanks again.

no chargebacks

be your own bank
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 02:17:58 AM

where did use this address, was it an online wallet? an exchange? the only way you could get those coins back is if you have the key to that address, which I am guessing you don't and you're saying that web service is closed, so with all this information I don't see any way of getting those coins back. In-fact it might happen that the web service is not even using that address and in which case the coins will be struck there forever.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: