Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:33:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How about this Bitcoinica strategy?  (Read 3354 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 09:17:16 AM

You should buy back in before your profit evaporates.

This is a short position, I bought back all but 1 at the bottom of the spike.  The idea is to keep it open so that when we spike back up, I can sell again, then buy out when we spike down again, lather rinse repeat.
I'm hoping that I understand the forced liquidation calculations enough to keep this hedging account from getting Zhoutonged.

The profit is not really the point here; you could say I already locked in this profit by buying back in all but one.  AT least that's the way I'm understanding it right now -- I am very sleep deprived though.

Corrections are welcome, suggestions too.

I was making the (sarcastic) suggestion we would be passing $18 soon.  I believe your strategy is valid, although I don't see why you don't close out your position at the bottom and convert the profits to btc.

Reducing the position to one sort of "locks in" profits up to that point, then if the market surprises you you can use that last one to scrape out additional profits  Grin

A 1 BTC short position will earn you a whole 20 cents for every 20 cent price drop.  If you believe it's the bottom, why lock in your profits in USD instead of BTC?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dan The Man

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:51:23 PM

My general strategy is to take an expected future value, something simple like a linear interpolation from the past week or so. When the price jumps higher sell, when it's lower buy, but only a little bit. In the inevitable situation that the price jumps again, sell/buy more. Make sure you have enough reserves to double down 3 or 4 times. If you predict it wrong 4 times in a row, well then you lose.
That's called Martingale strategy and is an absolutely certain (probability=100%) way for anyone to go bust. Read any book on trading.

I would say this is gambler's strategy.

With unlimited reserves and zero trade commissions, your overall winning is guaranteed.

With limited reserves and some trade commissions, your overall losing is guaranteed.

The chance of blind predicting wrong 4 times in a row is 1/16 and you would lose the entire investment. The profit of predicting correctly after 1, 2 or 3 jumps will always be less than 1/16 of your entire investment.

So:

P=15/16 -> profit less than 1/16
P=1/16 -> lose 1

...assuming that jumps are random independent unrelated events. But they aren't.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 11:21:30 AM

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=1j0o0m1qhmfdqdn

I thought it was rather clever, considering where I think price is headed.  Whaddya think?

Looks like you found a way to game the system.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 04:28:50 PM

Best Bitcoinica strategy = owning it.

Whats the best way to rob a bank?  Own It.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 04:50:42 PM

The idea is to keep it open so that when we spike back up, I can sell again, then buy out when we spike down again, lather rinse repeat.

first of all congrats on what looks to have been a tremendous short from $18.

i agree with notme.  if u believe we're headed back up towards $18, why not close the 1 BTC short now, then re short @ $18?

in fact, if you had closed this 1 BTC short @ $2, you would have made an additional profits by this point.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 06:00:20 PM

The idea is to keep it open so that when we spike back up, I can sell again, then buy out when we spike down again, lather rinse repeat.

i agree with notme.  if u believe we're headed back up towards $18, why not close the 1 BTC short now, then re short @ $18?

in fact, if you had closed this 1 BTC short @ $2, you would have made an additional profits by this point.

Super n00b question...When you say "close" do you mean "liquidate"?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 06:43:27 PM

Liquidate, or use a limit order to achieve the same.  When your position is back to zero, profits are "realized" and added to your reserve balance.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:00:20 PM

He dint short at $18 (was bitcoinica open then?), he shorted at a much lower price and the closed out all but 1BTC

The way bitcoinica works is it recalculates the base price when you add or reduce a position.

e.g. Short 2BTC at $10, bid drops to $5
bitcoinica shows: Base price $10

Buy 1BTC @ $5
bitcoinica shows: Base Price $15

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:15:28 PM

e.g. from selling down a previously leveraged long position

If I took this down to just 1 BTC the base price would be miniscule

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:16:02 PM

He dint short at $18 (was bitcoinica open then?), he shorted at a much lower price and the closed out all but 1BTC

The way bitcoinica works is it recalculates the base price when you add or reduce a position.

Buy 1BTC @ $5

thanks for the clarification.

Proudhon:  notme is correct but do realize that liquidation means you'll accept any price to get out of your position even if it means a loss.  limit orders are more safe and allows you to choose at which price you want your order executed.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Buy 1BTC @ $5

thanks for the clarification.

Proudhon:  notme is correct but do realize that liquidation means you'll accept any price to get out of your position even if it means a loss.  limit orders are more safe and allows you to choose at which price you want your order executed.

Thank you.  I'm going to mess around with limit orders now.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:26:46 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2012, 08:39:20 PM by Otoh

I found all my limit orders were executed in a fast moving market at much better prices than I had booked them in for which was an unexpected bonus

edit: sry actually those were some market sell orders where I noticed this

Crypt_Current (OP)

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:05:52 PM

Buy 1BTC @ $5

Exactly.  The idea is to keep my base price high on this account so I can have it locked & loaded when we reach the peak.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:09:57 PM

Otoh: you have no margin balance.. how did you get that position?!
edit: never mind, it's obvious now.

(BFL)^2 < 0
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2012, 09:10:52 PM

He must have cashed out after he opened the position, it lets you use your profit as margin

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:19:53 PM

He must have cashed out after he opened the position, it lets you use your profit as margin

Right -- if you think the trend won't continue, or you just want to withdraw profits without closing the position, you can sell down some of your position (buy down when going short), which will lower your base price and lock in your profits.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:25:47 PM

otoh - if you sold 28 at that price your base price goes to ~$0.029

any more and it goes negative! (don't ask me, I'm just the messenger!)

sell 242 at that price and your base price will be -$1424.41
)

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:33:06 PM

otoh - if you sold 28 at that price your base price goes to ~$0.029

any more and it goes negative! (don't ask me, I'm just the messenger!)

sell 242 at that price and your base price will be -$1424.41
)

Yes, this is true -- I have generated negative base prices on my own positions at times.  I don't know what this would mean, if anything -- maybe if you profit from there too much, you get Zhoutonged?  Huh  Grin

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:45:19 PM

thanks for the tip, I may sell another 28 if when we go over $7 again just to see, then eventually limit sale the rest all as one lot as I don't have a clue what a negative base price may result in, yep originally I opened the long position after depositing 300 BTC for margin (about $1,000 att), I sent them back to Gox once there were sufficient unrealised profits to act as margin, basically it's now a play with the house's money or more exactly zhoutonged shorter's money, less $567 I paid in to cover leveraged losses from shorting with those 300 over thanksgiving in order to play round 2 with them & I do appreciate that while I was down that much Bitcoinica let it ride & didn't foreclose my 300 BTC as it was a week or 2 before I could raise that amount of $ to cover my gambling losses there

sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:51:10 PM

If I have the formulas right, then it means you can't get zhoutongued. Even if the price goes to $0. Your unrealised profit and loss is greater than the max possible loss you could incur.

Of course this only apple for long positions. Short positions are always at risk of zhoutonguing! Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: