Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:01:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Bitcoinica  (Read 1429 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 01:50:21 AM

Is their a way to see how many people are shorting / going long on Bitcoinica?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 01:52:55 AM

Grin
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 01:56:14 AM

No, but keep an eye out for the 'asterisk'.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 02:33:55 AM

would it be unreasonable to ask Z to publish this market data?

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 03:24:33 AM

Yep.  Smiley
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 05:33:08 AM

Bitcoinica is a "dark pool" -- IMHO even the asterisk is too much information

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 08:38:14 AM

I don't think so.  Most forex brokers provide the ability to see standing buy and sell orders.  If not then it is Bitcoinica is the only one that can see them and see any stop-loss orders you have.  I am the type that all information should be made public.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1136
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 04:49:56 PM

I don't think so.  Most forex brokers provide the ability to see standing buy and sell orders.  If not then it is Bitcoinica is the only one that can see them and see any stop-loss orders you have.  I am the type that all information should be made public.

This is one of the basic requirements for any serious margin trading business.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 05:39:12 PM

since we have now day 3 with the * on the buy side.. i see some interesting things going on in future..^^
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 07:20:40 PM

since we have now day 3 with the * on the buy side.. i see some interesting things going on in future..^^
if someone go short is a fool, because that give money to bitcoinica and that will give fuel so ppl can buy and go against your position

That is unless someone go's short big time and starts another liquidation snowball effect.

bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 07:30:50 PM

if someone go short is a fool, because that give money to bitcoinica and that will give fuel so ppl can buy and go against your position

That is unless someone go's short big time and starts another liquidation snowball effect.

It could go both ways. Too many shorts on bitcoinica when people are buying on MTGox is how you have large spikes up. Too many longs when the action moves on MTGox causes large spikes down. I have noticed that when these spikes do occur it typically bounces back to market price within seconds only to move out of the range again. They are very profitable if you can catch them and predict the magnitude before they occur.
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 09:07:22 PM

that can make a squeeze but like i said here after the leverage change made by Z is very hard to do that, since you cant leverage 10:1 move that 2k USD and even if u get 150k USD at 2,5:1 leverage your future victims are protected by the new leverage rules

One could try running ~100 bots at 10:1/$2000, although I would recommend starting small with the bot count and activity and doing some probing/tuning before executing an actual attempt. The following joke is also relevant:

A man noticed a farmer walking with three-legged pig on a leash. It looked very odd. He said, "Farmer, why are you walking a three-legged pig?"

"Why, stranger, this is no ordinary pig," the farmer replied. "One night our barn caught on fire, and before my wife and I even woke up, the pig had called the fire department, and herded all the other animals out of the barn. The next week, a burglar got into the house, and the pig had him tied up and the police were on their way before I even realized what had happened. Then just last week, I fell into the duck pond and was like to drown, except this pig jumped in and pulled me out. Like I say, this is no ordinary pig."

"Well, that truly is a remarkable pig. But tell me, how did he come to have only three legs?" "Are you kidding? A pig this good, you don't eat all at once."

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 10:01:11 PM

A man noticed a farmer walking with three-legged pig on a leash. It looked very odd. He said, "Farmer, why are you walking a three-legged pig?"

"Why, stranger, this is no ordinary pig," the farmer replied. "One night our barn caught on fire, and before my wife and I even woke up, the pig had called the fire department, and herded all the other animals out of the barn. The next week, a burglar got into the house, and the pig had him tied up and the police were on their way before I even realized what had happened. Then just last week, I fell into the duck pond and was like to drown, except this pig jumped in and pulled me out. Like I say, this is no ordinary pig."

"Well, that truly is a remarkable pig. But tell me, how did he come to have only three legs?" "Are you kidding? A pig this good, you don't eat all at once."

Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: