Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:03:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius-miners: Do you agree with what is done with your hashing power?  (Read 6806 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:23:46 PM

I remember hearing about hybrid pools in the past and thinking they were a good idea, but I forget how they are intended to work. From what I recall, it is a set of p2pool "supernodes" basically. Is that correct?

More simplistically it is just a "normal" pool where the miner is smart.  Like in p2pool the miner chooses it own transactions.  How it differs from p2pool is you still have a traditional pool front end to handle rewards, manage accounts, check stats, etc.

A hybrid pool could integrate into p2pool being a super node to reduce variance (for both the pool & p2pool).
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:42:17 PM

I remember hearing about hybrid pools in the past and thinking they were a good idea, but I forget how they are intended to work. From what I recall, it is a set of p2pool "supernodes" basically. Is that correct?

More simplistically it is just a "normal" pool where the miner is smart.  Like in p2pool the miner chooses it own transactions.  How it differs from p2pool is you still have a traditional pool front end to handle rewards, manage accounts, check stats, etc.

A hybrid pool could integrate into p2pool being a super node to reduce variance (for both the pool & p2pool).
OK, so somewhat like http://p2poolparty.net/ or do I still not get it?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:49:23 PM

OK, so somewhat like http://p2poolparty.net/ or do I still not get it?

Yes like p2poolparty but one doesn't need to use p2pool to be a hybrid pool.    p2poolparty is a good example though.  Yeah it is centralized but its power is very limited.  It could ripoff its users but it couldn't attack Bitcoin.  It couldn't generate double spends, it couldn't participate in a Finney attack.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: