Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:48:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is no Tulip  (Read 3046 times)
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:06:45 PM

If anyone has any doubts about what will happen with the dollar, you just need to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KURRO5mcHCw

That's an excerpt out of this speech/lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgMclXX5msc

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTConomist

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 05:16:01 PM

I think the time has come, where it is reasonable to suggest that Bitcoin was not the "purely speculative bubble asset" that many thought it was.

A raw bitcoin (freshly mined) is not an asset per se, but a set of empty rows in the General Ledger.
By selling your bitcoins to others you're selling them an exclusive right to use those rows to record various transactions.
Only bitcoins that are supported by the actual transactions can be called an asset (the value of which is the value of transactions).

Recent hikes in the price of raw bitcoins are merely the Smart Money attempt to once again capitalize on the unsuspecting bitcoin fans.

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:49:10 PM

I think the time has come, where it is reasonable to suggest that Bitcoin was not the "purely speculative bubble asset" that many thought it was.

A raw bitcoin (freshly mined) is not an asset per se, but a set of empty rows in the General Ledger.
By selling your bitcoins to others you're selling them an exclusive right to use those rows to record various transactions.
Only bitcoins that are supported by the actual transactions can be called an asset (the value of which is the value of transactions).

Recent hikes in the price of raw bitcoins are merely the Smart Money attempt to once again capitalize on the unsuspecting bitcoin fans.

Oh, come on. The "inherent value" argument in another guise. Nothing is an asset per se. NOTHING has inherent value of any kind. Inherent Value is a contradiction in terms, since value is always assigned.

There is no value without he (or she) doing the valuing.

One newly minted BTC is an asset, inasmuch as someone out there is going to assign value to the possibility of transacting it.

BTConomist

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

NOTHING has inherent value of any kind. Inherent Value is a contradiction in terms, since value is always assigned.

True, the value must first be assigned in order for something 'with no inherent value' to be called an asset.

In the case of bitcoins supported by the actual transactions, that value is assigned by the value of those transactions.

However, in the case of raw bitcoins (those traded on MtGox, etc), that value is merely proposed (not assigned).

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:49:38 PM

NOTHING has inherent value of any kind. Inherent Value is a contradiction in terms, since value is always assigned.

True, the value must first be assigned in order for something 'with no inherent value' to be called an asset.

In the case of bitcoins supported by the actual transactions, that value is assigned by the value of those transactions.

However, in the case of raw bitcoins (those traded on MtGox, etc), that value is merely proposed (not assigned).

Heh. Potato, potato... you can assign value to the proposal itself. I'll happily take all the newly minted BTC you or anyone else might have, for free!  Grin
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:39:21 PM

or Beanie Babies in the 90's, are two popular examples.

What is this "Beanie Babies" you speak of and where can I get many???

I will pay top dollar!

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:49:29 PM

or Beanie Babies in the 90's, are two popular examples.

What is this "Beanie Babies" you speak of and where can I get many???

I will pay top dollar!

I remember people used to line up for them!

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:53:40 PM

Also, all the people whining about early adopters have had their chance now, to purchase coins when they cost near nothing.

And I hope the big players selling out means that the coins have been distributed to a larger amount of owner. Bigger spread on wealth makes for a more healthy economy imo.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: