Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:33:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a few questions about p2pool  (Read 2716 times)
wabber (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 07:39:32 PM

I couldn't think about a more specific title for this thread.

My first question is about the reward distribution of p2pool if I'm using multiple clients. Let's say there's a Miner A and a Miner B both pointing their hashing power to one p2pool node and they use their address as their username when connecting. Miner A finds a real p2pool share now and then p2pool finds a block. Does Miner B get something of that reward too based on his submitted difficulty 1 shares or does the entire reward go to Miner A?

My second question is about counting the difficulty 1 shares each miner submitted. Is there an easy way to export that count so I could use my own application to create statistics or do i have to change the code of p2pool?

I'm asking that because i've set up a p2pool node about 1month ago and more and more of my friends started to hash there instead of their traditional pools and the built in graphs of p2pool are not readable anymore. And i also wanted to offer them PPS payout to reduce their variance although they are pretty satisfied with it until now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TurdHurdur

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 08:44:20 PM

Probably should've put this in the pool subforum...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 10:08:40 PM

Rewards are sent to address based on how many p2pool shares that address have. So if both miners have the same address... well they are the same person  Cheesy
If they have different address then of course only the miner that find a share receive a payout.

Difficulty 1 shares are totally ignored by p2pool. If you want to divide the payout between you and your friends based on difficulty 1 shares...well then basically you want to make a normal pool based on p2pool, possible? Yes. Dunno if there are softwares to export datas

But...can't they simply mine on p2pool on their own? I  have a single 6950 and i have no problems finding shares. Sure, only some, but still i find them.

echris1

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 07:02:40 AM

The way it works is you setup p2pool with a payout address, and then any miners that you connect to your p2pool will contribute to the payout for that address.  In effect they are all the same card/person/whatever.  You can however use BTC addresses as usernames, and I'm pretty sure that way they would all get individual payouts.  You'd have to look into the readme a bit more, but I definitely remember someone talking about something like that recently.  Aside from using it for monitoring, I'm not really sure why you would use a different payout address for each miner (unless you had friends or whatever using your p2pool).

So, the combined payout goes either to this address you specify when launching p2pool with -a <address> or an address it pulls from your local bitcoind (meaning payouts go to the wallet on the p2pool computer).  The payout address is displayed when p2pool first starts to get going, in case you want to double check it.
wabber (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 06:35:26 PM

Probably should've put this in the pool subforum...

I've put it here because it's a question about the p2pool software and not about the pool itself. But if it is the wrong place a mod can move it Smiley

All my miners are individual persons and therefore all are using unique payout adresses and I understood the reward distribution now and it makes sense because one p2pool share can only contain a single payout address and everyone receives generated coins directly.

Difficulty 1 shares are totally ignored by p2pool. If you want to divide the payout between you and your friends based on difficulty 1 shares...well then basically you want to make a normal pool based on p2pool, possible? Yes. Dunno if there are softwares to export datas

But...can't they simply mine on p2pool on their own? I  have a single 6950 and i have no problems finding shares. Sure, only some, but still i find them.

Imho they are not totally ignored because p2pool calculates the local hash rate and the graph based on them. And true there doesn't seem to be a way to export that data which is why I was asking here if someone knows one. My friends could mine on there own but since they are only mining sometimes they would have to wait for their blockchain to download and some of them don't even have a blockchain locally. That's why i invited them to my p2pool node which is running 24/7 anyways to get them away from the (too) big pools. And they are actually quite happy because no downtime so far but i wanted to offer them PPS.

So I guess I'll have to change the p2pool source code somewhere after the difficulty 1 shares are checked. If there's an easier way to export that data please let me know.

Thanks for the help
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 06:40:05 PM

I've put it here because it's a question about the p2pool software and not about the pool itself. But if it is the wrong place a mod can move it Smiley
You can move your own topics, you know Wink

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 07:34:17 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2012, 01:36:12 AM by twmz

So I guess I'll have to change the p2pool source code somewhere after the difficulty 1 shares are checked. If there's an easier way to export that data please let me know.

There's not an "easy" way.  You'll have to dig into the p2pool source and start enhancing it to do whatever you want it to do.  This is, in effect, what they guy behind p2pmining.com has done.  He has a customized version of the p2pool software that does enough additional accounting that he can pay his miners based on the difficulty 1 shares they submit.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
wabber (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:46:10 PM

There's not an "easy" way.  You'll have to fork the dig into the p2pool source and start enhancing it to do whatever you want it to do.  This is, in effect, what they guy behind p2pmining.com has done.  He has a customized version of the p2pool software that does enough additional accounting that he can pay his miners based on the difficulty 1 shares they submit.

Did it now the interesting code was easier to find than expected. It's in main.py starting from line 574 if someone's interested to do that too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: