Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:39:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloaded Bitcoin Core and can't find my bitcoin  (Read 903 times)
Perceptive (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 03:23:05 PM

I recently upgraded my bitcoin desktop client from Bitcoin-QT 0.8.6 to Bitcoin Core on Windows. The bitcoin did not show up in the new wallet and I now can't  find my bitcoin and am not able to import my wallet.dat file on Blockchain.info. Is it possible that my wallet.dat file was corrupted? Any help is much appreciated and if I recover my bitcoin will send you some!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 04:53:17 PM

-snip-
bitcoin did not show up in the new wallet

Did you backup your wallet?

and I now can't find my bitcoin and am not able to import my wallet.dat file on Blockchain.info. Is it possible that my wallet.dat file was corrupted? Any help is much appreciated and if I recover my bitcoin will send you some!

Whats the errormsg?

Did you try
- walletpassphrase "yourpass" 120
- dumpprivkey "publickey"
in bitcoin core console?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Perceptive (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:57:26 PM

Thanks Shorena. Yes, I do have a wallet.dat file from before I downloaded Bitcoin Core.

There's no error message, the funds just aren't showing up. The error message from Blockchain.info is a 524 error. Is the process you described extracting my private keys?
Perceptive (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:11:33 PM

Also, I uninstalled Bitcoin Core and am now running Bitcoin-QT 0.8.6 again. Does that change how I would go about extracting the private key?
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:07:48 AM

When you say your bitcoin did not show in your wallet do you mean the balance was wrong or that you were missing trasactions?

Do you have your coins now that you have downgraded to 0.8.6?

Also, I uninstalled Bitcoin Core and am now running Bitcoin-QT 0.8.6 again. Does that change how I would go about extracting the private key?
No, it doesn't change it.

I'd try running Bitcoin Core again but with the -rescan option.  (Create a shortcut, right click it, hit properties, and add -rescan to the end of the target field.)

pandacoin
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:40:49 AM

Did you control your addresses on Blockchain.info? If you put your block files to different folder, it could be the problem. Check where you put with -datadir.
Perceptive (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:43:47 AM

There are no transactions. It's like the wallet with funds in it never existed-- the address, private key, and coins are nowhere to be found. Although when I search the address on Blockchain, I see the transactions and funds. The private key extraction does not work (error is: Private key for address 13hZ8DCJ1jQgdgSDZx6DvnGpZbKii11KE9 is not known (code -4))

I'm stuck and pretty disappointed that upgrading to a new bitcoin wallet could cause me to potentially lose a significant amount of bitcoin. Any other suggestions?

Angela8488

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 07:55:42 AM

It seems you already fixed this problem
https://blockchain.info/address/13hZ8DCJ1jQgdgSDZx6DvnGpZbKii11KE9
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:31:08 AM

I sure hope OP made that transaction. If not, he's never going to see his coins again.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 12:25:03 PM

There are no transactions. It's like the wallet with funds in it never existed-- the address, private key, and coins are nowhere to be found. Although when I search the address on Blockchain, I see the transactions and funds. The private key extraction does not work (error is: Private key for address 13hZ8DCJ1jQgdgSDZx6DvnGpZbKii11KE9 is not known (code -4))

I'm stuck and pretty disappointed that upgrading to a new bitcoin wallet could cause me to potentially lose a significant amount of bitcoin. Any other suggestions?

If you have a backup and/or have the private keys, you won't lose the coins.  Shorena made the point above, having a good backup is critical.

However, as was stated below, it looks like you may have resolved the issue since they were moved.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 01:45:10 PM

If you have a backup and/or have the private keys, you won't lose the coins.  Shorena made the point above, having a good backup is critical.

However, as was stated below, it looks like you may have resolved the issue since they were moved.

Well either that or he messed the "export the private keys in plaintext"-part up and someone else has the coins now.
He said it didnt work. Which smells like he backed up something else or didnt restore the backup. Either way I hope OP still has the coins.

Perceptive (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:25:18 PM

Thanks so much for all the help guys!

I did in fact access the funds last night and move them after a lot of work. The solution was downloading Pywallet and running a -dumpwallet command which enabled me to dump the keys into a Plaintext JSON WordPad document. I then imported that to my Blockchain.info wallet via their Import Wallet feature. Thankfully, I saved the wallet.dat file before I downloaded Bitcoin Core. Otherwise I'm not sure that would have been possible.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:27:53 PM

Thanks so much for all the help guys!

I did in fact access the funds last night and move them after a lot of work. The solution was downloading Pywallet and running a -dumpwallet command which enabled me to dump the keys into a Plaintext JSON WordPad document. I then imported that to my Blockchain.info wallet via their Import Wallet feature. Thankfully, I saved the wallet.dat file before I downloaded Bitcoin Core. Otherwise I'm not sure that would have been possible.

Sounds to me like the wallet.dat that you saved before the upgrade was fine.  You probably could have just recovered that wallet.dat backup into the Bitcoin Core data directory and been fine.  Glad to hear that you recovered your funds, but the pywallet and blockchain.info steps were likely unnecessary.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 05:44:56 PM

if I recover my bitcoin will send you some!

Since we didnt directly help you, make a small giveaway. People like them Wink

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=71.0

We now know you got the funds for it Tongue

https://blockchain.info/de/address/1Pzfru9RbUgSVkpAgiEWryHQe25aL7FGxY

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: