Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:13:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: this is why big Wallstreet money will NOT be coming in soon  (Read 4413 times)
yomofo (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:38:14 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/22wuw6/lets_discuss_the_opinion_institutional_money_will/cgrie6n

OK folks here's the answer, from someone who spent 10 years in the institutional business on the buy side. It's called "custody". And it's what Bitcoin doesn't have. If you're an institution and you invest in a fund, you don't wire funds to the fund manager. Your funds are wired to a custody bank, that holds your assets (the cash and the stocks the fund manager is buying). The fund manager never handles the cash himself, and never takes possession of the stocks himself. Now apply that to Bitcoin world. A Bitcoin fund manager actually controls the keys himself, he's essentially holding the assets himself. Very very few institutions would (or even could) go for an arrangement like this. Sure Dan Morehead (Pantera) might convince his old friends and clients to do it, but the real money wouldn't (couldn't) touch it. Look at Second Market: they list their "custodian" as "Second Market Holdings".

Somebody will solve this but until they do the flow will be a tiny trickle. Listing the Second Market Fund OTC will be a help, and normal custody arrangements will apply. But if I was the SEC, I'd be looking very carefully at the ownership of assets issue. It's probably also why the Winkelvii have not succeeded in getting their fund past the SEC. Add multi-sig into the mix...and you've got a lawyer's cluster on a grand scale.

Arghhh

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:51:34 PM

Great, another institutional naysayer stating why it won't work. I bet he still writes checks.
This reminds me of the mental midgets in the early 90's declaring why the internet won't work.

In other news, Benjamin Lawsky, superintendent of the New York State Department of Financial Services, says why the fuck not?

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entrepreneurs/hot-shots/2014/03/11/ben-lawsky-to-accept-bitcoin-application.html

"The department also announced today that it intends to propose the regulatory framework under which these applications will be processed no later than the end of the second quarter of 2014."

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 11:02:22 PM

Legislation is easy once the political will is there. Long term non-issue.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
nostradamus

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 11:20:22 PM

Legislation is easy once the political will money is there. Long term non-issue.

FTFY
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 11:35:48 PM

I do not get his argument, read the stuff three time - maybe a language thing. Is he saying that it is a technical problem? A fund manager at a custody bank should not alone be in control of the private key? Multisig solves that doesn't it? Or is it a law problem?
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 11:37:08 PM

The problem is simple to solve.  Just get someone trustworthy like MtGox to hold the assets.
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 11:39:25 PM

The problem is simple to solve.  Just get someone trustworthy like MtGox to hold the assets.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 11:40:55 PM

Old-school "experts" are often not qualified to comment on Bitcoin.
Also, (some) Wall Street money is already coming in now.  Smiley

msc

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 11:43:25 PM

The problem is simple to solve.  Just get someone trustworthy ... to hold the assets.
In all seriousness, yes.  A bank only has to hire someone knowledgeable and trustworthy to help them set up facilities and procedures for safekeeping.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 12:17:27 AM

exactly

The OP is rubbish, the reason why a custody is used is because it is necessary; a funds manager cannot store wheelbarrows full of stocks, bonds or whatever personally

in the case of BTC a simple bank vault will do for cold storage of private keys, and for the fiat a bank account

restricting access to both is a formality

that issue is a non-issue  Roll Eyes

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 12:25:58 AM

exactly

The OP is rubbish, the reason why a custody is used is because it is necessary; a funds manager cannot store wheelbarrows full of stocks, bonds or whatever personally

in the case of BTC a simple bank vault will do for cold storage of private keys, and for the fiat a bank account

restricting access to both is a formality

that issue is a non-issue  Roll Eyes

We need more "problems" to be solved that easily.  Smiley

MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:47:58 AM

I think "mental midget" pretty much sums up the OP.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:49:39 AM

So the old school investors are worried they need to take responsibility for someones money instead of spending it and losing it willy nilly
I wonder if anyone else sees it that way  Cool

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:30:07 AM

I don't understand this fetish with getting "wall street into bitcoin" anyway. Everytime I see it brought it up, it's about 'setting something up so people can invest'.   but 'investments' into bitcoin via buying some bitcoin derivative is not what we need and will not help bitcoin. What bitcoin needs is for every day people to have the ability to buy bitcoins (safely) and actually use them as a form of money on the internet, send them to other users, and use bitcoin's features. Bitcoin is supposed to be a form of money - not some kind of mutual fund investment scheme.

It's the same thing with people on this forum. Everyone is always talking about bitcoin like some kind of "investment". But I thought bitcoin was supposed to be the future of money and payments.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:03:50 AM

I don't understand this fetish with getting "wall street into bitcoin" anyway. Everytime I see it brought it up, it's about 'setting something up so people can invest'.   but 'investments' into bitcoin via buying some bitcoin derivative is not what we need and will not help bitcoin. What bitcoin needs is for every day people to have the ability to buy bitcoins (safely) and actually use them as a form of money on the internet, send them to other users, and use bitcoin's features. Bitcoin is supposed to be a form of money - not some kind of mutual fund investment scheme.

It's the same thing with people on this forum. Everyone is always talking about bitcoin like some kind of "investment". But I thought bitcoin was supposed to be the future of money and payments.
Bitcoin is what it is. It does what it does and can be used in the ways it can be used. Ideology really has no place except to the individual.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 05:34:34 AM

Wall Street money comes with strings attached.

Let them keep their fiat investments.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:40:48 AM

Wall Street money comes with strings attached.

Let them keep their fiat investments.

..... and let them come last.

TERA

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:13:00 AM

What a sad state of affairs we are in that we call actually using bitcoin as an electronic payment network and a currency "ideology" - as if these things are second hand to price speculation and pumping. It's as if bitcoin has been swallowed up by a commercial borg of greedy people who want to use it as an advertising slogan just to get as much 'investor' money in, perform speculation, and profit off of other speculators, without neccessarily doing what is actually good for bitcoin and increasing its adoption. All these investment derivatives are just a construct surrounding bitcoin that doesn't really have anything to do with Bitcoin itself.
pdawg

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:15:18 AM

...wall street has already jumped in bed.

Zule

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:52:54 AM

Old-school "experts" are often not qualified to comment on Bitcoin.
Also, (some) Wall Street money is already coming in now.  Smiley
Do you mean now or NOW, like its CCMF time?
Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:51:33 AM

Do we really need Wall-Street money for the next rally?
At $5000 capitalization is 65B. At rally time 1$ of fresh money create 10$ of capitalization. It's just 6B of fresh money. It's just 6$ per head of first world's population. No need for Wall-Street yet.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
TERA

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:03:11 AM

What makes you think you can use the population of the world in a calculation like that?  Most human beings are either too dumb or too poor to even operate a computer let alone operate something like bitcoin.
dreamspark

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:37:16 AM

What makes you think you can use the population of the world in a calculation like that?  Most human beings are either too dumb or too poor to even operate a computer let alone operate something like bitcoin.

You cant, its assinine to think that even 50% of the worlds population could be into and use bitcoin as a primary form of currency due to age (young and old), general computer literacy, being poor and no computer access let alone internet access.

In terms of big wall street money the liquidity just isnt in the market for them to enter, big funds don't throw a few mill at something if there buying they're buying in properly.
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:38:48 AM

YoFudMo or whatever your name is ...its all FUD

enjoy your 5 seconds in the sun

Check out ATLAS ...these guys are the real deal

http://forexmagnates.com/atlas-ats-brings-wall-street-grade-crypto-currency-platform-and-adds-options-trading/

OPTIONS & LEVERAGE ...Yay !!!!!!

FINCEN & MSB (Money service business) like put that in your pipe and smoke it !!!

WALL STREET are already here dufus !!

OBJECT NOT FOUND
chessnut
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:46:58 AM

yee haa!! let them long and short with leverage!! let them paper short 21 million bitcoins while the others go long 21 million bitcoins, and see what happens.

Mervyn_Pumpkinhead
Legendary

Activity: 876

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 10:25:32 AM

I think that the most important problem will be the bitcoins history and transparency issues.
When bitcoin will get government approval and regulatory framework with institutional funding, and some successful drug dealer/comp. cracker/confidence man dumps 1mil. BTC on the markets, reducing the price to single digits or less, then who do you think the people will blame?
Of course the government and the institutions that channeled the bitcoin investments. The big fish who have it going good already, would not want to take this risk because there is no way of knowing on who owns the most of the old coins and what are his plans with those coins.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ░         ░                 ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓░     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓   ░▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓       ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓  ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓   ▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
Totle: DEX Aggregator 

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▓███    █████   
                    █     ▓█▒   █   
                   ██       ██▒██   
                   █                
            █████████████           
   ████████░             ░████████  
  █░ ░██                     ▒█▒  ██
  █░██     ░▓▓▓▒      ▓▓▓▒     ░█ ██
   ██      ▒▓▓▓▓     ▒▓▓▓▓      ██  
   ██        ░░        ░░       ▒█  
    █░                          █   
     █▓      ██░      ██░     ░█    
       ██░       ████      ░██      
          ████████████████    

▄▄████
                ▄▄▄████████▌
          ▄▄▄███████▀▄█████
     ▄▄█████████▀▀ ▄██████▌
▄▄███████████▀  ▄█████████
 ▀▀▀█████▀    ▄██████████▌
       ██   █████████████
        █▄ █████████████▌
        ▐█▄███▀▀████████
         ███▀    ▀▀████▌
                    ▀▀█
BitOnyx

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 11:46:30 AM

Problem is do we need wallstreet money from brokers or money from investors.

More interesting idea is will they adapt bitcoin for transactions.

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 11:47:02 AM

http://forexmagnates.com/atlas-ats-brings-wall-street-grade-crypto-currency-platform-and-adds-options-trading/

FINCEN & MSB (Money service business) like put that in your pipe and smoke it !!!

thats site looks like link spam. just sayin'

not that I think wall st *isn't* coming...

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:02:10 PM

thats site looks like link spam. just sayin'

not that I think wall st *isn't* coming...

hmm... it passed the "GOOGLE" test ...lolz

I think the simple test is to confirm that ATLAS have a fincen/MSB lic etc for USA

A couple of things for the public as i have been getting into day trading FOREX and i thought i would share some thoughts

FOREX being unregulated has had and still does have a similar shady/dodgy practices as does bitcoin etc

FOREX have had their GOX events & apparently as of a couple days ago a major gold bullion broker just went down GOX style ...lolz (story was they where trading gold furtures with their customers money.. and not doing a very good job ..lolz)

My point is which made me feel a bit warm inside is that scammers are everywhere & not just a crypto disease...i know you know but i just wanted to make a point as much to myself as to others

The fudsters have had their 15 seconds of fame and its time for the rocket ship to leave the station Cheesy

OPTIONS...LEVERAGE ... AWESOME ...these guys maybe 3rd or 4th string  wall street types but hey I am happy with what we have got.. we just need a platform/instrument that is fast and provides a service

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Undone

Activity: 95

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:22:10 PM

Wouldn't it seem though that since its supply is limited, it seems very reasonable to place such speculative weight on its value now?

It seems to be reasonable. Cue the many parallels that bitcoin has with gold. I realize there are also parallels that bitcoin does not have with gold that are relevant, also.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:33:50 PM

Now I understand why banks are mostly trustworthy, because they are backed by a bailout (in worst case the government will use tax payer's money to bailout the bank so that investors won't take a hit)

If twins just disappear, no one can compensate the investors, this is a big issue! It seems the institutional investors will not buy twin's ETF, they will buy bitcoins by themselves Grin

counter

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 10:04:47 PM

I think wall street doesn't just want in they want control and first dibs on the market.  That is my feeling on it and I'm talking about the big money not the average investor.
Wary

Who's there?

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:10:11 AM

What makes you think you can use the population of the world in a calculation like that?  Most human beings are either too dumb or too poor to even operate a computer let alone operate something like bitcoin.
That's why I said first world. The rich billion. Is it too much to assume that among this billion we can find one percent that's smart enough to figure out how to buy bitcoin and rich enough to spend $600 on it? How many students are there in US and EU? And young professionals?

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:46:17 AM

What a sad state of affairs we are in that we call actually using bitcoin as an electronic payment network and a currency "ideology" - as if these things are second hand to price speculation and pumping. It's as if bitcoin has been swallowed up by a commercial borg of greedy people who want to use it as an advertising slogan just to get as much 'investor' money in, perform speculation, and profit off of other speculators, without neccessarily doing what is actually good for bitcoin and increasing its adoption. All these investment derivatives are just a construct surrounding bitcoin that doesn't really have anything to do with Bitcoin itself.

Without speculators, the all time high for BTC might still be below 25 cents.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:41:21 PM

Without speculators, the all time high for BTC might still be below 25 cents.

I think their is some utility in the system but your right the speculators are grinding the wheels, but the whole fundamental development to actually make the system useful part adds some value.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4505

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:19:57 AM

+1
Deviant1

Activity: 83

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:33:09 AM

LOL, I guess that's why we've got Secondmarket operating now, the Winklevoss twins working on their ETF, as well as countless other individuals in the financial industry holding large amounts of BTC.
counter

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:09:47 AM

you know what I don't even want Wall Street money coming in right now I prefer the average joe to get in while things are still low u know?
chessnut
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:11:02 AM

you know what I don't even want Wall Street money coming in right now I prefer the average joe to get in while things are still low u know?
exactly....let the billions come last when the supply is dry.

hodlmybtc

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 03:15:09 AM

Agreed, I also want some more coins when they're still in this price range, anyone got some spare fiat?  Grin
counter

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:17:50 AM

who cares about them screw em and their insider trading lol. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: