Bitcoin Forum
December 14, 2018, 04:41:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.0 [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Low-consumption portable air conditioner?  (Read 11854 times)
MarkAz

Activity: 684
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 04:36:30 PM

It almost never pencils out to use AC to cool miners - you should evaluate cooling in the same way you evaluate ROI on a miner.  With a miner, you have the cost of device, the cost to operate, and the hash rate - with cooling, you have cost of device, cost to operate, and the BTU performance.  Using AC is the same as trying to build a large scale USB mining operation - the numbers just won't pencil out.  Just take the operating cost of the AC unit and add it to your per kwh cost, and you'll see what works the best for your specific use case.

In terms of cooling - here are the practical options in my experience:

#1; moving air - in general most mining gear will work well at ambient temps, the problem is that if there isn't enough air moving through the space, you steadily keep increasing the localized temperature in the room until the machines can no longer function.  There's basically nothing cheaper than moving air because virtually all of the systems use a fan as some part of it.  Large extraction fans can be very efficient and can move a ton of air, and will give you the best performance per dollar spent.  Sound can be an issue with some of these systems, but if you duct them you can make them almost all but silent on the outside.  Just be aware of vibration and how you channel the air if you do this.

#2; evap cooler - really this is just like #1, but with the addition of some media and a small pump that trickles water over it.  There is very little additional cost to operate the system, but it dramatically improves total system performance because it can typically drop ambient temperatures by 20f or more.  The reason this isn't #1 is because you need to live in a dry climate for this to work - I like in Arizona, which is phenomenal for eval, so it's what I use.  It also has the added benefit that in most cases the media also works as a kind of filter, so the particulate levels in the air are kept down as a bonus.  You can also can usually pick up large systems very cheaply used, if you have even a basic mechanical understanding.  Keep in mind this cools by adding moisture to the air - and in arid environments, it's not an issue and in many cases a plus.  Sound-wise this will generally be lower than #1 due to the fact that you can reduce the number of units because they're also dropping air temps as they move air.

#2.5 direct/indirect evap cooler - these can achieve greater then dew bulb performance, but are most costly and harder to get.  Their cost to operate is slightly higher than #2, the added performance is comes from a second step where the air is drawn through another media stage - that cools the air but does so without adding additional moisture.  The downside (beyond cost) is slightly greater complexity, harder to find, and slightly lower CFM vs a similarly sized evap system.  Noise is the same as #1.

#3 industrial misting - don't confuse this with the crap you find at home depot to mist your backyard, this is used typically in large scale manufacturing, and works similar to #2, except it's introducing the moisture to the air directly instead of via media.  The efficiency of this the highest (in terms of power consumption vs temperature shift), but it requires the use of a high pressure compressor, and metal water lines, so they're generally a bit of a PIA to deploy and the compressors are quite loud.  Cost is also higher as well, but over the long term probably has lower maintenance costs.  While I've been around these systems, I've never actually deployed one myself - so don't have a deep understanding as they've never been viable for any of my locations.

I would also recommend making an excel spreadsheet and calculating the thermal load of your equipment, so you can have it tell you exactly how much of whatever kind of unit you need.  If a miner uses 1000w of power, it's converting that almost exclusively into heat - do the math, convert it to BTU's, and then you'll know what kind of cooling is required to offset the amount of heat you generate.

Hopefully that helps save you some time - as I screwed around with a ton of exotic systems from watercooling the rigs, to immersion, to AC - and while I learned alot in the process, I wasted more money than I should have and none of them were applicable to small to mid sized commercial mining.  Sure, if you're BitFury and have a huge facility plus design the hardware, I'm sure it works great - but if you're buying a couple hundred or thousand boxes from BitMain, Avalon or any of the other usual suspects, there's no way.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1141

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 02:38:15 PM

^^ Ditto ^^

For those too lazy to actually search for the math part:
BTU/hr=Watts x 3.4129

Since a single s9 takes around 1350w that equates to 4,607 BTU of heat to be moved for just that 1 unit. See where this is going?

For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself - Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats
How a miner mfgr SHOULD operate: HaggsFIN trip to Canaan My info useful? Donations welcome! 1Fuzzyk398kDWVjuC5qPX5v6CjSkvbgAbd
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
AJRGale

Activity: 768
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 12:28:38 AM

Nice to see this 2014 posts resurrected from Mrashal01 1st post and randomly posting a link to a website...

But yes, as pointed above ^

thats the BTU that you need to counter with the cooling, most coolers are not efficient, 900BTU is about 2KW of power to draw from..
GMPoison

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 02:25:22 AM

From all of the research that I've done, it's much more cost efficient to spend your money on expelling heat out of the room rather than trying to cool the room down.
KellyGrin

Activity: 105
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 11:12:40 AM

In my house I have denver air conditioning system http://www.summitheatingco.com/ from Summit Heating & A/C. I didn't want to spend my money on something I might regret later so I decided to choose a well known company in my city. Their service technicians helped to find the best a/c system for my budget. And I don't have any regrets, my air conditioner has been working efficiently all summer long and still works great.
billybit

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 09:44:28 AM

i bought a 2nd hand S7 a few days ago.  been struggling with the heat and sound.

just bought a flexible vent (think cooker hood to outside) and the heat has dropped dramatically as all the hot air is vented outside.  recommended solution.

now thinking of how to build a soundproof box.......
VentMine

Activity: 230
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 12:26:03 AM

From all of the research that I've done, it's much more cost efficient to spend your money on expelling heat out of the room rather than trying to cool the room down.

Of course. It takes far less energy to exchange air than it does to refrigerate.

1ESSdoVYKm8sNtYMfdkFBajhAe2e6G8keH
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.