Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:25:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help would be really aprechiated here, some digits of password unknown.  (Read 1087 times)
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 04:12:44 PM

My mom has her bitcoins in an encrypted wallet. She put them in there over a year ago, and she made a strong password that is 22 digits long.

However when trying to move them to cold storage for her, we've realised we can't decipher what she wrote down (in plaintext by hand).

Some of the digits could be a 1 or a lower case L or an upper case I for example.

Is there software where I can type in all the digits I know and let the software try the remaining digits? There would be no more than about 10,000 things it could be. We know for certain what at least 18 of the digits are. But too many are ambiguous for us to try them all manually.

Thanks in advance.

Society doesn't scale.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:42:48 PM

There is some advice and some scripts here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0

Of course you should be very careful to read the code before you run it on your system.

spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 07:15:42 AM

thank you very much.

Society doesn't scale.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:57:36 AM

There is some advice and some scripts here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0

Of course you should be very careful to read the code before you run it on your system.

If possible I would advise you to run it on your computer disconnected from the internet just to be safe. And I it works extract the private keys and use them to transfer for coins to another wallet you control. That would be best unless you're absolutely sure you understand every line of code and compile it yourself.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:11:22 PM

If you know which 4 to change then it should be pretty fast to crack it.  Those scripts should be all you need.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 04:13:00 PM

So far I have tried 64 different passwords manually. None have worked so I'm obviously still getting something wrong.

That link you sent me looks excellent, but I lack the necessary knowledge to run the scripts.

Sent the guys in that thread private messages offering money to sort it out.

$100 bucks in BTC to anyone that sorts it!

(I see from the other thread that there is a way -involving salt- that allows you to crack the password without being able to steal the coins).

I'm not going to risk getting called a scammer over 100 bucks. The wallet contains 22 btc, so it's not a huge % to pay out, and realistic for me to do.

Thanks all

1LG8EFSBMAowMtmHYzH2s5VEa2FV1Csphm is the address. Obviously, I can't sign anything as I don't know the password :s

Society doesn't scale.
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:15:12 PM

It's not too difficult to run the scripts.  I'm not sure which salt method you're talking about though.  Beware of anyone who wants you to send your wallet to them.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
apxu

Activity: 229
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:39:14 AM

1)
xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx   (one-one-one-one)
xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx l xxxxx    (one-one-one-L)
xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx l xxxxx    (one-one-one-I)

2)
xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx L xxxxx 1 xxxxx   (one-one-L-one)
xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx L xxxxx l xxxxx    (one-one-L-L)
xxxxx 1 xxxxx 1 xxxxx L xxxxx l xxxxx    (one-one-L-I)

and so on.
Is it password for online wallet or is it password for your local file wallet.dat?
In second case you can put your password here (because nobody [?] has this file to decrypt)
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:10:06 PM

So far I have tried 64 different passwords manually. None have worked so I'm obviously still getting something wrong.

That link you sent me looks excellent, but I lack the necessary knowledge to run the scripts.

(I see from the other thread that there is a way -involving salt- that allows you to crack the password without being able to steal the coins).

I'm not going to risk getting called a scammer over 100 bucks. The wallet contains 22 btc, so it's not a huge % to pay out, and realistic for me to do.

Thanks all

1LG8EFSBMAowMtmHYzH2s5VEa2FV1Csphm is the address. Obviously, I can't sign anything as I don't know the password :s
if you're talking about the script in page 2, the easiest way to run it would be to create a ubuntu vm in vmware, configure the script to connect to a bitcoind instance in the host operating system, and run the script in the guest operating system.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 05:58:49 PM

Thanks all

if you're talking about the script in page 2, the easiest way to run it would be to create a ubuntu vm in vmware, configure the script to connect to a bitcoind instance in the host operating system, and run the script in the guest operating system.

"easiest"

Well thanks for making me feel even less techy than I already do.

I have ubuntu installed in parallels already, along with bitcoind and the wallet-qt (but version 0.9.0. I can't work out how to install 0.9.1, because the ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin thing is running behind, and I don't know how to build it from the download on bitcoin.org.)

I also don't know how to import the wallet.dat into the ubuntu wallet.

If someone helps me do all this, I'm sure I'll have more questions afterwards.

Where is my knight in shining armour then?

Society doesn't scale.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:19:43 PM

"easiest"

Well thanks for making me feel even less techy than I already do.

I have ubuntu installed in parallels already, along with bitcoind and the wallet-qt (but version 0.9.0. I can't work out how to install 0.9.1, because the ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin thing is running behind, and I don't know how to build it from the download on bitcoin.org.)

I also don't know how to import the wallet.dat into the ubuntu wallet.

If someone helps me do all this, I'm sure I'll have more questions afterwards.

Where is my knight in shining armour then?
you don't need to have bitcoin installed on the guest machine. you can run bitcoin on the host machine, then get the script in the guest machine to connect to the bitcoin instance via RPC.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:24:22 PM

You shouldn't need to use 0.91. You can import the wallet.dat in a number of ways:

Copy it to a USB drive on the host, then connect the drive to the guest
Create a shared drive (I've never used parallels before so I don't know what this involves)
Scp it over
Put it on dropbox
Email it to yourself

Obviously some are more / less secure and easy/ more difficult (scp is probably the best I think)

spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 11:29:08 PM

thanks for the help guise, got this sorted in the end!

My friend wrote a scrypt and tried 2 million passwords.

I'm gonna advise him to start doing this professionally, it's gonna be needed so much.

Society doesn't scale.
Hash72

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:14:36 PM

I'm gonna advise him to start doing this professionally, it's gonna be needed so much.
2 million passwords in one scrypt ..that is perfect he should take your advise seriously.i am glad to solve it.

spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 11:12:22 AM

2 million passwords in one scrypt ..that is perfect he should take your advise seriously.i am glad to solve it.

This scrypt would have carried on forever, it just stopped at under 2 million because it found the password.

Society doesn't scale.
cech4204a

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 11:53:49 AM

also double check obvious numbers that you are sure of (18 of them) and maybe you will find another posible gap there.

Bitcoin is DEAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: