Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:11:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you get into bitcoin?  (Read 1980 times)
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:58:42 PM

at first I wanted to purchase some herbs online to resell them here Cheesy

but I realized that bitcoin itself is much more then herbs, that it is an investment much more worthy then some green stuff

hopefully this decision will bring me millions one day Cheesy

I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xdigital

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:35:47 PM

Newzbin.com shutdowned in 2011!
Some similar sites only accept bitcoins, I remembered it was only $10/coin, but it was too hard to buy one.
So I started to mine just enough to pay for the subscription
I have regretted that I turned off the mining software.

Then last year, When bitcoin price suddenly jumped up to $200/coin.
I started to read more about it, more interested ever since.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:54:09 PM

I got into bitcoin while I was earning dust on PTC sites. I found an ad of a program named "Rublik", which according to the site "performed calculations for the Bitcoin Network".

It paid users by downloading its software, and it paid by paypal. Just another bitcoin miner, but I found out about bitcoin.
Mined bitcoin at 77MH/s, and deposited onto inputs.io, and lost everything.
Oh well, I miss those days anyway.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:25:59 PM

Well, one day I was hanging a clock in my bathroom.... I must've slipped and hit my head on the porcelain sink... And when I came to, I had a vision in my head and I drew this diagram. I call it the flux capacitor and it's what makes time travel possible.  Oh wait, that's something else nevermind :-)

serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:11:31 AM

I have no memory of life before I ended up reading over half of this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.0

It went to hell from there but I did manage to get processed and picked up one whole bitcoin at $404 last week...so at least now I can play.

I've also had this site

http://bitcointicker.co/

and this one

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/

up and check it every half hour since 3 days before I bought (which was still before the 4 day wait time and current 4 day transfer time)...

I might've slept 24 hours, not in a row...this forum is the devil.

Shocked

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:41:20 AM

4chan in 2009. was given 20 BTC from a very generous miner. I know, I know, I was young
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:44:00 AM

Youtube, tons of information to be had there when they aren't blocking the flow with their censorship.  I remember there was alot of hesitation but still alot of interest back then.  Funny thinking back and seeing how far Bitcoin has come.
killinitsoftly

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:46:33 AM

A bit of a long story.
My boss' business friend (owner of a small business in Seattle) was having lunch with us one summer day and mentioned Bitcoin in passing.  Most of the conversation went way above my head.

I got home and asked my wife if she heard about it.
Sure enough, she mentions that she saw it on CNN.

I read about it that same evening.
One week later I was mining.

Fast forward about 2 years and I have a huge scrypt mining farm in my garage, about 4TH/s SHA-256 mining and a diverse collection of coins.

Smiley
Ragnarly

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:12:51 AM

In 2012 finding this article by Erik Voorhees http://evoorhees.blogspot.com/2012/04/bitcoin-libertarian-introduction.html

via http://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capitalism/
TwoPints

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:27:15 PM

My friend and I heard about it at the end of 2013, did a ton of research, split an S1 early in 2014, and now we have 17 S1's plus 5 more on the way.

I see it as a great long-term hedge on an emerging technology, and am thrilled to see where people much smarter than me take it. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to convey it, especially mining, to other people.

If only we had seen this in 2011 or before...
sj2199

Activity: 797

BBOD fast, non-custodial & transparent Exchange

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:30:19 AM

my friends were talking about it....but they never thought of getting it as i thought of...

qin215

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:15:14 AM

from the internet and media.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 06:16:27 AM

I killed a man and found a paper wallet in his back pocket. Now I'm rich.

(I'm kidding, this was poking fun at the "bitcoin = criminal money" myth)

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
circusmidget11

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

GOOD Dev

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:49:56 AM

I got into PTC and faucets, it was easy free money. 

GOODcoin - C-Cex Vote - Poloniex Request -
GOOD: GcFTMgVKLGrGjY4Vm1XD8tP4vUsS64uqWw
TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989

฿uy ฿itcoin

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:51:56 AM

I got into bitcoin (way too late Sad) through the media. I really liked the whole anonymous and fee-free payments. No banks or governments to regulate it Smiley
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 12:47:33 PM

Some random AD on some website which eventually led me somehow to this forum.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RUEHL

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 03:14:16 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2014, 04:11:10 PM by RUEHL

Introduction

I remember being introduced back in Jan 2011 during a dinner party among friends.  One friend was so excited about it, wanted to be a miner.  He only thought of it as a get rich scheme.  I looked it up on Wiki, and decided to pass along with the rest of the dinner party.  My computer didn't have the minimum specs and this Bitcoin thing wasn't enough motivation for me to get something more powerful.  The friend that wanted to mine was the only one among us that had specs to meet the minimum graphics requirements.  

Loosely followed along,  saw the news late Spring 2011 and the bubble peak to $30 USD then crash down to the single digits.  Bitcoin was still largely ignored by mainstream media. Asked my friend about it, and he said he never ended up mining.

In 2013, during the Cyprus bail-in Bitcoin finally made waves in the mainstream media.  I still thought it was still just magic internet money riding on pure speculation.  Of course, Bitcoin crashed again but still maintained lofty heights over 2011 prices.  Late 2013 it blew up to $1,200 USD and continued to make headlines.  As expected it crashed but maintained lofty heights over the Cyprus bubble.  I continued to ignore it, as I thought the train had already left the station.

The Epiphany

On some random forum, saw references to the Zeitgeist Movement and it was told that their videos on YouTube would blow your mind.  Just like the Matrix, when Neo took the red pill I had an awakening.  

When Mt Gox fell in late January people on that same random forum were all laughing at Bitcoin calling it a Ponzi scheme.  Because the thread originator was Law Enforcement whom I've met in real life (and can be an ass), I defended Bitcoin just to be a thorn in his side (me being a rebel).  In order to debate my position, I started doing research and began to realize that Bitcoin is fundamentally sound.  It also appears to be a solution for issues outlined in the Zeitgeist movement, and by that reasoning still way under-valued.  Around March, I finally bought my first Bitcoin from a seller on eBay (of all places) and began using it as currency.  I also made a vow to purchase and set aside at least $100 worth every week.

The friend that originally introduced me to Bitcoin, I've expressed his need to accumulate.  Even just one.  He brushes it off with no interest.  My reasons are fundamental, but his interests are just speculative and from that point of view he thinks the ship has already sailed.  

Current goal is to own at least 4 bitcoins by June 2014.  Right now, I'm just shy of 1.  

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
MeandMissNoob

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:17:54 PM

I heard about it in 2011, but started to be more interested after seeing some tv news show about Bitcoin. Really like how its develops.
zulu860

Activity: 196

iseebitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 07:40:15 PM

1 year ago I wanted to buy trees from a dispensary was typing all sorts of stuff ran into a silkroad article and that pretty much changed my life after that and here i am now Grin I want to open up a community center with BTC one day now and have a mining farm in it so we wont have to rely on grants as a main source of income for projects and events for the community. All i want to do is good if/when i make it to my goal.

Bitcoins: 157TGFQRUWuBC5pREHcpkXfgCWGrQ9Zti6   iseebitcoins.com
Zimstake: EDEtRKNMUMZrsMCxTKvnz8U2Y84NPQDS2r
Cannabiscoin: CGj3H5AgJKTNeiPCsv2akbQiSSGUjcRjBE
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 07:06:43 AM

I heard about it a few times last year, but didn't pay much attention to it.  The the first bitcoin atm opened near where I live, I started to pay more attention to it. Started investing in it in January by buying some miners. Been buying and selling bitcoin for a couple months now.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: