Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:09:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I didn't pay capital gains tax on bitcoin sales to IRS today  (Read 24012 times)
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:00:48 AM

The last couple months there have been a lot of posts concerning the IRS ruling that bitcoins are to be treated as property and that it was required to pay a capital gains tax on the sale of bitcoins. Some people even posted that "bitcoin is doomed" because of the ruling.

To prove just how silly it is for people to worry about this, I created this thread to call out the IRS to prove what I owe in capital gains due to bitcoin sales.

So if there are any IRS employees trolling this thread, you're welcome to pour over the blockchain and tell me what I owe you.  Wink

I'm grumpy!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ragnarly

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:05:49 AM

Who do you think you are? Some sort of cryptoana... oh.
xv11

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:07:50 AM

The last couple months there have been a lot of posts concerning the IRS ruling that bitcoins are to be treated as property and that it was required to pay a capital gains tax on the sale of bitcoins. Some people even posted that "bitcoin is doomed" because of the ruling.

To prove just how silly it is for people to worry about this, I created this thread to call out the IRS to prove what I owe in capital gains due to bitcoin sales.

So if there are any IRS employees trolling this thread, you're welcome to pour over the blockchain and tell me what I owe you.  Wink

I hope you get caught
goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:24:08 AM

Who do you think you are? Some sort of cryptoana... oh.

Hahaha - I like it.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:26:24 AM

Did you report your gains and say the tax rate you need to pay is zero, or did you "forget" to report the gain?

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:32:21 AM

is it really smart poking the buffalo with a stick?
i hope you are at least posting this behind TOR and if not that the tax man won't subpoena the forum to disclose your ip to make an example.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 4332

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:37:46 AM

OP needs to learn, holding bitcoin is tax rate of ZERO. but holding fiat in his personal account after selling the bitcoin. he needs to pay tax on that fiat gain.

but i do agree people are silly when it comes to saying "bitcoin is doomed" and here is why

1. people will find other ways to not need FIAT, thus not needing to claim FIAT gains
2. the IRS wont care about useless / worthless items. IRS have categorized bitcoin, thus it has proven bitcoin to be a valid store of wealth.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
7Priest7

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:42:25 AM

i hope you are at least posting this behind TOR and if not that the tax man won't subpoena the forum to disclose your ip to make an example.
Right, Cause they don't got bigger fish to fry.

IRS is a bloated lazy organization(like most if not all U.S. government agencies.)
They expect you to do all their work, then they have machines process it all.

They will likely only pursue the wealthiest of known bitcoin investors.
They likely only declared bitcoin taxable so they can get a cut of the silkroad auction.
kendog77

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:45:34 AM

You probably won't get caught as long as you don't have any large cash transactions related to BTC into or out of your bank account. If you do get audited and have large Bitcoin related transactions in your bank records, you will have to explain them, which means you're fucked.
LAMarcellus

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:48:47 AM

In honor of this momentous day I hereby re-present my favorite bitcoin article of all times.
Bitcoin - The Libertarian Introduction
http://evoorhees.blogspot.com/2012/04/bitcoin-libertarian-introduction.html
Written by Erik Voorhees

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. – Albert Camus
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:17:08 AM

is it really smart poking the buffalo with a stick?

They would still have to prove that I owe them something.

I'm grumpy!!
7Priest7

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:22:47 AM

They would still have to prove that I owe them something.

^ This... Bitcoins can be used like the stock market but unlike the stock market you are not required(if you use the right channels) to give your real name/etc.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 01:26:53 AM

You will be summarily executed for good measure. Even the specter of economic liberty cannot be allowed to exist under the totalitarian governments of the world.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:58:39 AM

According to Charlie Shrem, several govt agencies are monitoring here. 

Govt and law enforcement has hired people specifically for the task of monitoring these forums, reddit, and the IRC chat.

Hi you guys! 

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:01:53 AM

careful crypto dude you might start an avalanche dancing with such glee and freedom ....

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/05/14/the-network-effect/

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:22:26 AM

Well... Ross Ullbricht also used the TOR browser and he thought that the FBI would never track him down. Guess what. He was wrong. So don't be overconfident and no need to brag about this.
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:34:00 AM

OP needs to learn, holding bitcoin is tax rate of ZERO. but holding fiat in his personal account after selling the bitcoin. he needs to pay tax on that fiat gain.

but i do agree people are silly when it comes to saying "bitcoin is doomed" and here is why

1. people will find other ways to not need FIAT, thus not needing to claim FIAT gains
2. the IRS wont care about useless / worthless items. IRS have categorized bitcoin, thus it has proven bitcoin to be a valid store of wealth.

selling Bitcoin for Fiat

blasphemy

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:36:12 AM

what a fool leave sleeping dogs alone
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:38:39 AM

selling Bitcoin for Fiat

blasphemy

A cryptoanarchist bitcoiner with a bank account?

Blasphemy!

The only place I keep fiat is in my wallet. Banks are for suckers.

I'm grumpy!!
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:53:08 AM

A cryptoanarchist bitcoiner with a bank account?

Blasphemy!

The only place I keep fiat is in my wallet. Banks are for suckers.

You don't have a bank account.  That means that you probably don't have a house, or a credit card, direct deposit, or children, or any of the other things that are part of normal life.  You are basically a monk of a pseudo-religion.  Your experience is so far from our own that any advice that you might have is likely to be useless or even dangerous to us.

Monks cannot provide a good example to the rest of us, because if we all lived like monks there would be no families and thus no future.  All purely monastic societies die sooner or later.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: