Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:03:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the Bitcoin Core v0.9.1-beta Coin Control - Custom change address work?  (Read 2603 times)
wisefear (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:01:49 AM

I selected a few Inputs, checked "Custom change address", and pasted an address that I own (in a different wallet outside of Bitcoin Core).

I pasted a Pay To: address, Label, and Amount.

After Sending, I expected the Outputs to be the Pay To: address and the Custom change address.

Strangely, on Blockchain.info, my Custom change address does not show up as an output of the transaction. Why?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cozz

Activity: 61
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:40:23 AM

Using the "Custom change address" feature only works for addresses part of your wallet.

Sending change to an address outside of your wallet is not supported currently.

If you try this, a "Warning: Unknown change address" is shown and the change will be sent to a newly generated address.
So in your case the wallet created a new change address and sent the change there.

The reason is we supported this feature in earlier versions of coin control, but removed it for safety reasons.
So people do not accidentally send all their coins as change to someone else.

This is no bug, but I agree that the current behavior is a little confusing to the user.

We should either
- reject sending to a foreign change address
- ask "Are you really really sure?" and then enable this feature again
- or at least change the message to "Unknown change address -> change will be sent to a newly generated address"

You can create an issue "Sending custom change to a foreign address in coin control is confusing" (or similar title) for this, if you like:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

1cozzwyCJvDiyBA8zXGJ1qxtrd5b4i1nB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: