Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:02:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solidcoin DMCA takedown  (Read 10169 times)
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 06:08:09 PM

If Luke-Jr and Coinhunter showed up to court to fight this...

They would get laughed out of the building...

For good reasons..

Errr.... courts on TV != courts IRL
case DISMISSED LOL!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 06:21:58 PM

If Luke-Jr and Coinhunter showed up to court to fight this...

They would get laughed out of the building...

For good reasons..

Errr.... courts on TV != courts IRL
case DISMISSED LOL!

In the long run that would be the end result yeah. But not simply because of the subject matter, It'd be more of a "he says she says" With CH slapping the MIT lincense on at the Last second and covering his ass

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 06:45:58 PM

In the long run that would be the end result yeah. But not simply because of the subject matter, It'd be more of a "he says she says" With CH slapping the MIT lincense on at the Last second and covering his ass
You can't just start complying after the fact. If you violate it, you've violated it.

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:19:50 PM

You can't just start complying after the fact. If you violate it, you've violated it.
You would have a better chance taking RS down for scamming LOL.

LET ME NOT GIVE YOU ANY IDEAS...  Cheesy
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 08:31:28 PM

Well, the MIT license doesn't have a termination clause, like the GPL does, so coming into compliance is pretty much all that needs to happen.

Buy & Hold
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 09:11:58 PM

Well, the MIT license doesn't have a termination clause, like the GPL does, so coming into compliance is pretty much all that needs to happen.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
RealSolid did not comply with the conditions, so his permission is not granted. Complying with them now does not undo the fact that he did not comply.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 09:16:29 PM

RealSolid did not comply with the conditions, so his permission is not granted. Complying with them now does not undo the fact that he did not comply.
But being in compliance now pretty much makes the previous releases moot. That's really all you can hope for with an MIT license.

Buy & Hold
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 09:18:11 PM

But being in compliance now pretty much makes the previous releases moot. That's really all you can hope for with an MIT license.
No, because under Copyright Law he needs permission from the copyright holders. He did not comply with the terms, so he did not get that permission. He doesn't suddenly get that permission automatically just because he might comply now (note: he isn't still).

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 01:50:18 AM

Perhaps next is to encourage people to take "veto" power away from Deepbit which should have been done a long time ago as well, the pools need more balance to avoid such things.  And while you can't enforce this, your encouragement should go a long way with BTC supporters.

BTC already did that with P2Pool. I wonder how long before Coinhunter strips the license text from the p2pool and passes it off as his own work.  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 02:17:37 AM

Not under the law.  The infringement still occurred.  Just becoming complaint doesn't undo the actions of the past.   Becoming compliant is a good thing it prevents further infringement from occurring but the bad action this exists and always will exist.

CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 09:15:25 AM

Not under the law.  The infringement still occurred.  Just becoming complaint doesn't undo the actions of the past.   Becoming compliant is a good thing it prevents further infringement from occurring but the bad action this exists and always will exist.

And even if in your delusion there was an offense you need to be able to say there was clear damage caused by it. And in this case what is that? Do you ever go on to the next stage of your thinking or do you just stop at "he committed an offense". "Yes judge, the free SolidCoin caused damages to me by.... by... um.... yeah.... it's the vibe of it really".

Secondly even if an infringement "occurred" in the delusion there is nothing stopping me from giving my permission for my source to a different group, and them claiming my code along with their new license of whatever MIT project they want. In this case "the solidcoin developers". "RealSolid" the fictionary character may have committed some $0 damage offense in your mind but nothing is stopping him from easily allowing his code to be used by someone else, bundling that with Bitcoin and therefore boom, new licenses all around for everyone to have fun with. Keep checking your mail lukey, btw.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 02:38:27 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2012, 03:57:57 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Not under the law.  The infringement still occurred.  Just becoming complaint doesn't undo the actions of the past.   Becoming compliant is a good thing it prevents further infringement from occurring but the bad action this exists and always will exist.

And even if in your delusion there was an offense you need to be able to say there was clear damage caused by it. And in this case what is that? Do you ever go on to the next stage of your thinking or do you just stop at "he committed an offense". "Yes judge, the free SolidCoin caused damages to me by.... by... um.... yeah.... it's the vibe of it really".

Secondly even if an infringement "occurred" in the delusion there is nothing stopping me from giving my permission for my source to a different group, and them claiming my code along with their new license of whatever MIT project they want. In this case "the solidcoin developers". "RealSolid" the fictionary character may have committed some $0 damage offense in your mind but nothing is stopping him from easily allowing his code to be used by someone else, bundling that with Bitcoin and therefore boom, new licenses all around for everyone to have fun with. Keep checking your mail lukey, btw.

I am not Luke and I never said taking a bankrupt control freak programmer living in his mother's basement to court was viable or economical.

Your little rant aside nothing I said was incorrect.  Infrignement occured, future "good acts" don't have any bearing under the law on the "bad act" which has already occured.

BTW I have stated since the beginning that the MIT license allows proprietary closed source derivative works.  Even when others said you "couldn't do that".  You are just obligated to keep copyright and MIT license.  Something you willfully didn't do even when others pointed it out because you ego couldn't handle the idea of you giving due credit where it was deserved.

You are a small small man.   Don't bother responding. I won't see it.
grndzero

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 03:49:16 PM

You are a small small man. 

With a big big Napoleon Complex.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 04:16:09 AM

Much as I find it repugnant to side with luke on anything... the damages are clear enough in this one... even at the laughable value of ShortBusCoin a multimillion coin pre-mine is value. Therefore the offending act has already occurred, the code that was mis-used has been implemented to his benefit and has established a network of accessory nodes that are complicit in the violation.

And CH/RS/Douchebag has clearly established too many times to count who he and his many sock-puppets are. Hiding beyond the "it's an imaginary character, Iron Man raped those kids" line of bullshit won't protect him.

But then looking at what an utter fucking goofball he is, he won't fix it or do it right even if ordered to by a court of law... CH/RS/Douchebag's ego would never permit him to actually do the ethical thing when it is contrary to his noblese oblige approach to world domination.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: