Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:53:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble installing Armory on offline machine  (Read 1552 times)
25hashcoin (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 12:41:40 AM

have downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and the Armory 92.1 offline bundle. My set up is running an Ubuntu live cd with Armory on a usb stick.

When I get to these instructions:

"Go into the extracted directory and double-click on the “Install_DblClick_RunInTerminal.sh” file.  It will give you an option of how to run it:  Select “Run In Terminal”.

Not only does it not give me an option to run in Terminal, but when I manually enter the command in terminal I get the error: "dependency problems prevent configuration of armory" and "error processing package armory" along with some other stuff.

If you need more information let me know, I didn't copy and paste everything because it was my offline computer but I can if necessary.

Any ideas?

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 02:14:13 AM

have downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and the Armory 92.1 offline bundle. My set up is running an Ubuntu live cd with Armory on a usb stick.

"Go into the extracted directory and double-click on the “Install_DblClick_RunInTerminal.sh” file.  It will give you an option of how to run it:  Select “Run In Terminal”.

Not only does it not give me an option to run in Terminal, but when I manually enter the command in terminal I get the error: "dependency problems prevent configuration of armory" and "error processing package armory" along with some other stuff.

If you need more information let me know, I didn't copy and paste everything because it was my offline computer but I can if necessary.

Any ideas?

The 0.92.1 bundle requires Ubuntu 12.04.3 exactly.  There's a link to it on the download page.

However I finally got around to upgrading that in 0.92.2, so you should use that bundle.  There is no difference between the two versions for an offline computer.  The only issue is that I forgot to include the install script in the bundle, but it appears you know how to install that from the command line

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
25hashcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 03:53:15 AM

Any ideas?

The 0.92.1 bundle requires Ubuntu 12.04.3 exactly.  There's a link to it on the download page.

However I finally got around to upgrading that in 0.92.2, so you should use that bundle.  There is no difference between the two versions for an offline computer.  The only issue is that I forgot to include the install script in the bundle, but it appears you know how to install that from the command line

Thanks I downloaded 0.92.2.....however I have no idea what I used originally or where I found the install script, even browsing my history doesn't make sense. Could you please provide me with the details for installation? Thanks.

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 03:54:27 AM

Oh, i was saying there is no install script (I forgot to add it in 0.92.2 when I remade the bundle).

Unpack the directory, and then from the command-line go into the directory and type "sudo dpkg -i *.deb".  Type your password.  That should be all you need.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
25hashcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 04:01:53 AM

Oh, i was saying there is no install script (I forgot to add it in 0.92.2 when I remade the bundle).

Unpack the directory, and then from the command-line go into the directory and type "sudo dpkg -i *.deb".  Type your password.  That should be all you need.

I get "error processing archive" and  "cannot access archive"

Only other thing I'm not sure about is do I need to actually do an install of ubuntu? Right now I have an Ubuntu live DVD running in "try" mode and trying to install armory from a usb stick.

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 04:03:40 AM

Only other thing I'm not sure about is do I need to actually do an install of ubuntu? Right now I have an Ubuntu live DVD running in "try" mode and trying to install armory from a usb stick.

Live CD should work.  Did the file download fully?  Approx 20 MB?

I just downloaded it from the website and it worked fine.  Maybe your download simply got corrupted.

25hashcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 04:20:07 AM

Unpack the directory, and then from the command-line go into the directory and type "sudo dpkg -i *.deb".  Type your password.  That should be all you need.

I get "error processing archive" and  "cannot access archive"

Live CD should work.  Did the file download fully?  Approx 20 MB?

I just downloaded it from the website and it worked fine.  Maybe your download simply got corrupted.

Yep 20.6MB... when you say "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" do you mean exactly that except replace the "*" with "armory_0.92.2-testing_ubuntu-64bit.deb"?? And do I need a path?

edit: also I see now it says "no such file of directory"

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 04:26:39 AM

I just downloaded it from the website and it worked fine.  Maybe your download simply got corrupted.

Yep 20.6MB... when you say "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" do you mean exactly that except replace the "*" with "armory_0.92.2-testing_ubuntu-64bit.deb"?? And do I need a path?

Well, the archive should uncompress before doign anythign else.  "cannot access archive" and "error processing archive" means it's not unpacking and might be corrupted.  Or it somehow ended up with root permissions only and you can't even read it...?  Although your last message suggests you got the bundle unpacked.

The offline bundle is the armory_0.92.2-testing_ubuntu-64but.deb and all the dependencies needed to be installed for it to work.  "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" will install all deb files in that directory.  Just make sure you cd into the OfflineBUndle directory first.

Alternatively, I believe I determined that you can actually just copy the Install_DblClick.sh script from the other bundle into this one.  When we officially release 0.92.2 it will have that double-click script in it, it just simply fell through the cracks for the testing release (it's why we do testing releases!)

25hashcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 04:40:56 AM

Unpack the directory, and then from the command-line go into the directory and type "sudo dpkg -i *.deb".  Type your password.  That should be all you need.

I get "error processing archive" and  "cannot access archive"

Live CD should work.  Did the file download fully?  Approx 20 MB?

I just downloaded it from the website and it worked fine.  Maybe your download simply got corrupted.

Well, the archive should uncompress before doign anythign else.  "cannot access archive" and "error processing archive" means it's not unpacking and might be corrupted.  Or it somehow ended up with root permissions only and you can't even read it...?  Although your last message suggests you got the bundle unpacked.

The offline bundle is the armory_0.92.2-testing_ubuntu-64but.deb and all the dependencies needed to be installed for it to work.  "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" will install all deb files in that directory.  Just make sure you cd into the OfflineBUndle directory first.

Alternatively, I believe I determined that you can actually just copy the Install_DblClick.sh script from the other bundle into this one.  When we officially release 0.92.2 it will have that double-click script in it, it just simply fell through the cracks for the testing release (it's why we do testing releases!)

Okay cded into the offlinebundle directory and I finally got the "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" command to work.

Although it returned a host of problems. mostly "error processing package" notifications...

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 04:41:41 AM

Well, the archive should uncompress before doign anythign else.  "cannot access archive" and "error processing archive" means it's not unpacking and might be corrupted.  Or it somehow ended up with root permissions only and you can't even read it...?  Although your last message suggests you got the bundle unpacked.

The offline bundle is the armory_0.92.2-testing_ubuntu-64but.deb and all the dependencies needed to be installed for it to work.  "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" will install all deb files in that directory.  Just make sure you cd into the OfflineBUndle directory first.

Alternatively, I believe I determined that you can actually just copy the Install_DblClick.sh script from the other bundle into this one.  When we officially release 0.92.2 it will have that double-click script in it, it just simply fell through the cracks for the testing release (it's why we do testing releases!)

Okay I finally got the "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" command to work.

Although it returned a host of problems. mostly "error processing package" notifications...

Are you using Ubuntu 12.04.5?

25hashcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 04:47:42 AM

Okay I finally got the "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" command to work.

I'm using 14.04.1 LTS...

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 05:01:04 AM

I'm using 14.04.1 LTS...

Argh!   We botched the website, which was supposed to warn you that you need to use the exact version of Ubuntu listed.  For 0.92.1 and earlier, it's Ubuntu 12.04.3.  Because that version is no longer available on the Ubuntu website, version 0.92.2 was updated to work with 12.04.5 which is now the default if you select 12.04 from the Ubuntu download website.

Please download the 12.04 live CD and use that.  We'll update the webpage.

25hashcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 05:09:31 AM

I'm using 14.04.1 LTS...

Argh!   We botched the website, which was supposed to warn you that you need to use the exact version of Ubuntu listed.  For 0.92.1 and earlier, it's Ubuntu 12.04.3.  Because that version is no longer available on the Ubuntu website, version 0.92.2 was updated to work with 12.04.5 which is now the default if you select 12.04 from the Ubuntu download website.

Okay will get a live cd with 12.04 going.....just curious though I am using Armory 0.92.1 on my main online machine and I am using 14.04.1 LTC on that as well...what is the difference? Something to do with the offline bundle?

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 05:12:52 AM

I'm using 14.04.1 LTS...

Okay will get a live cd with 12.04 going.....just curious though I am using Armory 0.92.1 on my main online machine and I am using 14.04.1 LTC on that as well...what is the difference? Something to do with the offline bundle?

The offline bundle is the same thing, it just has all the 12.04.5 dependencies bundled with it so the offline machine doesn't need the internet in order to install armory.  After the first time you install with the bundle you should be able to upgrade with a regular installer. 

There's no compatibility problems with OS or Armory versions 0.92+. 

25hashcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 06:45:19 AM

I'm using 14.04.1 LTS...

Argh!   We botched the website, which was supposed to warn you that you need to use the exact version of Ubuntu listed.  For 0.92.1 and earlier, it's Ubuntu 12.04.3.  Because that version is no longer available on the Ubuntu website, version 0.92.2 was updated to work with 12.04.5 which is now the default if you select 12.04 from the Ubuntu download website.

Please download the 12.04 live CD and use that.  We'll update the webpage.

The offline bundle is the same thing, it just has all the 12.04.5 dependencies bundled with it so the offline machine doesn't need the internet in order to install armory.  After the first time you install with the bundle you should be able to upgrade with a regular installer.  

There's no compatibility problems with OS or Armory versions 0.92+.  

Success! Thanks a ton for the assistance. Appreciate all the hard work.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: