Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:44:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Friday Holiday...  (Read 933 times)
BLKMined (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 06:43:22 PM

Hello to all my BTCitcoin believers! First off, I'm very excited to be here to talk BTCitcoins.  The way I  stumbled upon learning about BTCitcoins was truly a blessing - I mean TRULY a BLESSING! I guess I can give my full story in the proper area later on....So, I have a question that needs to be addressed today, immediately! And the question is, are we able to purchase BTCitcoins today(April 18th 2014) even though the Stock Market is closed? - http://www.insider-monitor.com/market-holidays.html.  I guess I can try but, I rather not!  That leads me to yet another question(last one I promise) - Say the price-per-BTCitcoin is around $483 dollars and I only happen to have half of that($240), can I buy $240 dollars worth of that 0ne BTCitcoin?

PLEASE! I need these two questions to be answered before the day is up 0R down if you catch my drift - Ha! 

And I look forward to learning more and more on this new revolution by the PEOPLE and for the PEOPLE - LET's CONNECT!!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 06:53:15 PM

are we able to purchase BTCitcoins today(April 18th 2014) even though the Stock Market is closed?

As long as you already have money at a bitcoin exchange? Absolutely.

If you have cash in hand, and can find someone near you on localbitcoins that is willing to sell bitcoins, then you can do it that way today as well.

Or, if you want to send with MoneyGram or Western Union, you can buy bitcoins that way toady as well.

Lots of options.

Say the price-per-BTCitcoin is around $483 dollars and I only happen to have half of that($240), can I buy $240 dollars worth of that one BTCitcoin?

Absolutely. You can even buy $0.01 worth of one bitcoin.  That would get you about 0.0000207 BTC (which can also be called 20.7 micro-bitcoin, or 0.0207 milli-bitcoin).

The transaction fees might make it more expensive to buy $0.01 worth than is practical, but if you're willing to pay the costs, you can make the purchase.
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:13:16 PM

Thank-You Danny for the quick response. Man, I am loving this site already! People here move as quick as BTCitcoin.  Although that was some very helpful buying knowledge, I heard of these options(buying in person slipped my mind however), that still doesn't answer my question about buying due to the Stock Market being closed?  I'm guessing it's like stocks how you purchase on say the weekend but then the price(market order) alters due to the order executing on the opening business day BUT! As I continuously checkout the home page of "Coinbase" - https://coinbase.com/, I can see the price-per-BTCitcoin changing as if the Market is open.  Duh! I'm slow@times  Embarrassed It's not apart of the stock market but is on some type of exchange - I'm lost Huh

**And I really need to  educate myself on doing the math as you properly displayed - I seen "Michael Robinson"(Professional Investor - Voice of BTCitcoin) do this type of math as he was demonstrating on how to sell BTCitcoins.  That is what gave me the thought that we could also buy how much we want oppose to a stock where as we would have to pay for the actual price-per-share.

Thank-You Danny 0nce again as you've been very helpful
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:24:37 PM

Thank-You Danny for the quick response. Man, I am loving this site already! People here move as quick as BTCitcoin.  Although that was some very helpful buying knowledge, I heard of these options(buying in person slipped my mind however), that still doesn't answer my question about buying due to the Stock Market being closed?  I'm guessing it's like stocks how you purchase on say the weekend but then the price(market order) alters due to the order executing on the opening business day BUT! As I continuously checkout the home page of "Coinbase" - https://coinbase.com/, I can see the price-per-BTCitcoin changing as if the Market is open.  Duh! I'm slow@times  Embarrassed It's not apart of the stock market but is on some type of exchange - I'm lost Huh

**And I really need to  educate myself on doing the math as you properly displayed - I seen "Michael Robinson"(Professional Investor - Voice of BTCitcoin) do this type of math as he was demonstrating on how to sell BTCitcoins.  That is what gave me the thought that we could also buy how much we want oppose to a stock where as we would have to pay for the actual price-per-share.

Thank-You Danny 0nce again as you've been very helpful

There are not yet any form of bitcoins that are approved by the SEC for exchange on any regulated stock market in the U.S.

The only exchanges where you can buy bitcoins right now are small un-regualted, un-insured, exchanges that are run by individuals or private corporations and are not audited by any trusted third party.  Therefore if you choose to transfer money to any of these exchanges, you do so at your own risk.  Because today is a banking holiday throughout much of the world, you will find it difficult to transfer any money from your bank to exchanges such as BitStamp or BTC-E.  However if you already have money at those exchanges (that you previously transferred), then you are able to make exchanges 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year long (unless the particular exchange you use is experiencing a problem the results in them choosing to halt exchanging).

Coinbase is more of a retail sales of bitcoin than an exchange.  Exchanges simply facilitate the exchange of local currency and bitcoins between two parties and take an "exchange fee" for providing the service.  When you get bitcoins from Coinbase, you are purchasing them directly from Coinbase (typically at a cost that is slightly higher than the exchange rate at the popular exchanges). When you convert bitcoins to your local currency at Coinbase, you are selling the bitcoins directly to Coinbase (typically at a price that is slightly lower than the exchange rate at popular exchanges).

Since bitcoins don't exist on the stock market, the rules of the stock market don't have a direct effect on bitcoins at all.
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:38:11 PM

::)WoW! Very well put my friend! You seem to be VERY highly educated on these BTCitcoins.  How long have you been on this game and are you finding success??
By the way, thanks for the exchange references > BitStamp or BTC-E - You the man, you the man, you the MAN!!!!!!!! Smiley

0h yeah, I didn't know it was a banking holiday.  I guess I will have to make a transfer 1st thing Monday morning.  Sucks!

I read somewhere on the "Coinbase" site - https://coinbase.com/ that it only takes 30 minutes to transfer but people are saying 3days, which I would assume for security purposes? Maybe 3days for the initial transfer as I haven't yet opened an account(wallet).  I'm very excited to get started as I see the future right before me(insight).
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:49:19 PM

How long have you been on this game

That depends on what you mean by "on this game".  I've been studying and learning about bitcoins since February 2012. I started purchasing bitcoins in April 2013.

and are you finding success??

That depends on what you mean by success.  Personally, I find that the most rewarding things in life are relationships and knowledge.  I've certainly gained knowledge.  I've also built some new relationships.

By the way, thanks for the exchange references > BitStamp or BTC-E - You the man, you the man, you the MAN!!!!!!!! Smiley

No problem.

0h yeah, I didn't know it was a banking holiday.  I guess I will have to make a transfer 1st thing Monday morning.  Sucks!

I read somewhere on the "Coinbase" site - https://coinbase.com/ that it only takes 30 minutes to transfer but people are saying 3days, which I would assume for security purposes?

Coinbase has a bunch of rules that can make it a bit difficulty to use their service.  They've also been known to cancel transactions on people after a few days when the exchange rate changes suddenly.  Additionally, if you haven't done so yet, you'll need to confirm your identity and bank account with them (which can take several days).

You may also want to look into BitSimple.com

That is a service run by a well know, knowledgeable, and trusted member of this bitcointalk.org community.  They seem to be a bit more reliable than Coinbase, they don't force you to hold your bitcoins in their wallet, and they offer a competitive exchange rate.
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:08:18 PM

Glad you found success in those areas but I was talking more on a financial aspect.  But you don't have to give out that information if choose not to.  Thanks for the news on Coinbase, now they starting to seem a bit shady, hmmm!  BitSimple.com doesn't seem to work - it tells me "NOT FOUND" Huh Could you link it?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:25:01 PM

Glad you found success in those areas but I was talking more on a financial aspect.  But you don't have to give out that information if choose not to.

I prefer not to measure success in terms of finance.  I've certainly been fortunate enough to have opportunities in my life that many would never have, and to have the education necessary to be able to take advantage of some of those opportunities.

I don't really see bitcoin as an "investment".  As an investment it is extremely volatile and very risky.  Anyone who thinks they have had success because they are holding a particular amount of bitcoins could easily wake up tomorrow and discover that their entire bitcoin holdings are worthless.

I see bitcoin as an opportunity to be involved in the early stages of a technology that is likely to become an integral part of daily life in the future (much like learning about TCP/IP and other internet protocols in the 80's and 90's).  This knowledge and experience will provide opportunities for me to continue a career that I enjoy and that brings me a sense of fulfillment well into my senior years.

Certainly, I hold some bitcoins.  I regularly purchase additional bitcoins with money I can afford to lose without being devastated.  If that results in being able to afford products and services that I desire in the future, great.  If not, that's ok too.

Thanks for the news on Coinbase, now they starting to seem a bit shady, hmmm!

I wouldn't call them "shady".  They haven't done anything yet that I'd consider untrustworthy, and the provide merchant services to some pretty big retailers (such as overstock.com).  But, I personally don't care for a few of their business practices. For many people they are the easiest and fastest way to acquire bitcoins.

BitSimple.com doesn't seem to work - it tells me "NOT FOUND" Huh Could you link it?

This link works for me:
https://bitsimple.com/
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:51:42 PM

The link worked.  I wonder why it didn't work when I typed it in manually, hmmmm!...About Success trust me! I feel the same exact way.  Money is just an idea.  Setting goals like climbing the highest mountain, staying fit, etc... is my definition of success - conquering our habitat - EARTH! But of course a financial goal is also success and that's the success I'm speaking of as of right now....Thanks for the link by the way - like I say, you the man, you the man, you the man!!!!!! lol
I will be sending you a P.M. real soon if all possible....
zzojar

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:49:51 PM

::)WoW! Very well put my friend! You seem to be VERY highly educated on these BTCitcoins.  How long have you been on this game and are you finding success??

I read somewhere on the "Coinbase" site - https://coinbase.com/ that it only takes 30 minutes to transfer but people are saying 3days, which I would assume for security purposes? Maybe 3days for the initial transfer as I haven't yet opened an account(wallet).  I'm very excited to get started as I see the future right before me(insight).

30 minutes? 3 days? My transfers have taken seconds to minutes. If I transfer to my personal wallet on my computer, it make take a few minutes. When I transfer to another online wallet, the transaction is done in seconds.
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:35:11 AM

30 minutes? 3 days? My transfers have taken seconds to minutes. If I transfer to my personal wallet on my computer, it make take a few minutes. When I transfer to another online wallet, the transaction is done in seconds.
[/quote]

Hey zzojar! are you speaking of your initial transfer 4rm when you 1st opened up the account/wallet? Respond A.S.A.P. If you will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: