Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:41:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PrivacyShark still around?  (Read 8897 times)
bitcoinia (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2010, 05:57:54 PM

Has anyone has any dealings with PrivacyShark.com?  Is this a scam?

They were sent 1,300+ bitcoins for some DNS hosting, and have not replied after several days.

One problem with bitcoins -- without an intermediary, your money is lost in situations like this!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
July 26, 2010, 09:22:53 PM

Yup. I've dealt with privacyshark.

I purchased my domain with them on the 9th of July and it was working the following day. Smiley
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2010, 01:16:47 AM

What's the exact procedure you followed when purchasing an anonymous domain from Privacy Shark?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
July 27, 2010, 01:29:27 AM

(Not sure who you are asking)

Here's my experience:

I sent them Bitcoins on the 9th, and then I emailed them to let them know the name of the domain I wanted. I also sent them the IP that I wanted it DNS'd to.

The very next day it started working.

I suspect that they do everything by hand over there because I did have to email them after I made a payment.

privacyshark

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2010, 05:19:01 AM

Your domains were setup first thing on Monday morning. You had placed an order with us on Saturday. We are a real business with real business hours. Sorry if there was any confusion there.  Roll Eyes

P.S. We were informed of this post by one of our customers. We were encouraged to publicly respond to it. So we did.

Has anyone has any dealings with PrivacyShark.com?  Is this a scam?

They were sent 1,300+ bitcoins for some DNS hosting, and have not replied after several days.
bitcoinia (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2010, 06:11:27 AM

Your domains were setup first thing on Monday morning. You had placed an order with us on Saturday. We are a real business with real business hours. Sorry if there was any confusion there.  Roll Eyes

Hey, thanks for responding Smiley

There are a couple of issues, of which I will follow through in private message:

After following the ordering instructions and sending money, not even an automated acknowledgement was received.  This leaves the customer hanging for days, wondering what happened to their money.

The email sent on Sat @ 8am included several basic questions, such as "procedure for DNS updates?" and "what security/auth is employed to prevent others from updating my domains?"  That email, and my follow-up on Mon @ 5pm "hello? are you there?" both remain unanswered, and it is Tue @ 1am as this is written.

Therefore, I respectfully submit these suggestions for the future:

a) provide an automated acknowledgement of an order in-process, so that [potential] customers know their money didn't simply disappear into the ether.

b) answer your email  Smiley

Taking this to PM now...   just trying to help the bitcoin economy succeed, one customer at a time!  I understand there will be bumps in the road, as everyone figures this out.  Looking forward to doing some business with PrivacyShark.

bitcoinia (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2010, 06:14:57 AM

What's the exact procedure you followed when purchasing an anonymous domain from Privacy Shark?

The one listed at http://www.privacyshark.com/order.php: send money, then send email.

Sent money and detailed email Sat, 8am.  After hearing nothing by Mon, 5pm, sent follow-up email.
privacyshark

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2010, 05:38:23 PM

Our ordering system is completely a manual process at the moment. Our ancient automated integration code is being converted from e-gold to Bitcoin.

The emails this fellow had sent us were answered. I'm not sure why he didn't receive a reply. I'll have our admin examine our email server. I know that we've been blocked in the past because of the odd complaint caused by people spoofing email from us and other such email mayhem.

In any event, we are here and we are a real business.

P.S. This fellow's issue has been resolved by PM.
bitcoinia (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2010, 10:12:48 PM

The emails this fellow had sent us were answered. I'm not sure why he didn't receive a reply. I'll have our admin examine our email server. I know that we've been blocked in the past because of the odd complaint caused by people spoofing email from us and other such email mayhem.

My email is via Google Mail.  Nothing showed up in the Spam folder.  I don't know what sort of RBL/other spam filtering GMail performs.

P.S. This fellow's issue has been resolved by PM.

Yes, the issue has been resolved.  Thanks!
jarf

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 11:48:52 AM

I have just placed an order with PrivacyShark yesterday afternoon, paid via Bitcoin but not yet heard anything.  I sent an email this morning (a few hours ago) just to confirm but so far the domain has not been registered.  Will keep this thread updated.
jarf

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 11:19:14 AM

Just to let everyone know, my domain is registered and fully working! (I was just getting a little worried as I hadn't heard anything for a day or two) Thank you PrivacyShark!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: