Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:53:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Warning for Long-term holders...  (Read 12109 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 10:10:00 PM

Sorry but Dorian did create BTC. He is suing every solvent BTC exchange for treble damages. If Mt. Gox doesn't flush you, Dorian will. Actually, Dorian is too late. True story.

Are you high or drunk, or both?

Buy & Hold
Jr65 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 11:13:38 PM

Both.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 05:50:15 AM

Well I tried to read most of the OP but gave up about half way.  I get where the OP was going and I tried to give him a chance to explain but it just comes off as bunch of nutty speculation without being given any evidence or hard facts. 

You can't claim to want to help people and then laugh at them and put them downfor not taking your advice.  People always come on here and make crazy claims time and time again so you being a newbie will have to bring something new to the table if you want to be taken seriously... 

Nobody cares about your degrees, wealth or anything other then the facts that you bring to the table which from here seems non existent.  You talk as if you have insider info well now it it time to walk the walk..
Jr65 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 12:04:19 PM

Interesting! The Mt. Gox bankruptcy case is starting today! My inside scoop is now more gospel than ever. This is happening way faster than I thought.

maok

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 12:55:28 PM

Interesting! The Mt. Gox bankruptcy case is starting today! My inside scoop is now more gospel than ever. This is happening way faster than I thought.
just sell sell already get rid of it, you clearly don't appreciate bitcoin properties but only its price. good riddance mr lawyer

QRKHn6UK3ToS53V6jD1rYWRYS4mxQ1mako
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▀▄▀▄▀ Quark core wallet updates  ▀▄▀▄▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 12:57:09 PM

just sell sell already get rid of it, you clearly don't appreciate bitcoin properties but only its price. good riddance mr lawyer

You can't sell what you don't have.
Jr65 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:05:19 PM

I have a sell order in at "BIT." At "BIT," you can only liquidate your BTC in the last week of every month. Thankfully for me, it's about that time. Hooray, I can pay my mortgage now! 
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:24:28 PM

Hooray, I can pay my mortgage now!  

Wow you were still living in unpaid debt? For somebody bragging how self-made he is that's pretty sad Smiley

i am satoshi
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:30:12 PM

Wow you were still living in unpaid debt? For somebody bragging how self-made he is that's pretty sad Smiley
Why wouldn't you borrow money at a low 29% interest when you can get a 4900% ROI with Bitcoin?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Jr65 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:58:41 PM

Having a jumbo mortgage, at London Interbank Offered Rate (plus 1%) with your head way above water, makes good sense. Tons of wealthy people have mortgages and put leverage to good use. I would bet dollars to dimes that the vast majority of people on the Forbes 400 have mortgages or wise debt in some form. I live next door to the biggest hockey star (worth 100 million, plus, plus!) in the world and he has two mortgages on one home. Mortgages are really one of the only ways that wealthy people can stay on the credit radar. It's important to have perfect credit when the right deals come calling. I'll give up four safe points any day of the week provided that my money is coming in at a much higher ROI. Have you ever heard of opportunity costs? Didn't think so. 
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:04:22 PM

Having a jumbo mortgage, at London Interbank Offered Rate (plus 1%) with your head way above water, makes good sense. Tons of wealthy people have mortgages and put leverage to good use. I would bet dollars to dimes that the vast majority of people on the Forbes 400 have mortgages or wise debt in some form. I live next door to the biggest hockey star (worth 100 million, plus, plus!) in the world and he has two mortgages on one home. Mortgages are really one of the only ways that wealthy people can stay on the credit radar. It's important to have perfect credit when the right deals come calling. I'll give up four safe points any day of the week provided that my money is coming in at a much higher ROI. Have you ever heard of opportunity costs? Didn't think so. 

2008 anyone?
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:19:44 PM

Why wouldn't you borrow money at a low 29% interest when you can get a 4900% ROI with Bitcoin?

OP is the type of person that would do that at an ATH.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:23:15 PM

OP is the type of person that would do that at an ATH.
That's exactly what people were saying when the ATH was $1, then $31, then $255. The ones that stayed in did very well.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Jr65 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:30:06 PM

You down with O-P-P? Noise.
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:47:19 PM

That's exactly what people were saying when the ATH was $1, then $31, then $255. The ones that stayed in did very well.

Assuming you can pay the long-term interest on the loan while hope and pray that a new ATH will come sooner rather than later.
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:48:03 PM

You down with O-P-P? Noise.

You're an idiot, time to put your worthless mouth breathing ass on ignore.
Jr65 (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:01:38 PM

You sure have a way with words. You're a gentleman and a scholar.
500crypto

Activity: 36

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 10:30:40 PM

So tired of the "intrinsic value" argument (as if fiat currency has intrinsic value). What does have intrinsic value? Gold, silver I guess because of the time, effort and costs of producing them. What happens if major, easy to retrieve reserves are found someday? What happens if governments decide to tax the hell out of gold and silver so much so that nobody wants them anymore?

Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for something, plain and simple. If you have a house that some bureaucrat appraises at 10 million dollars, yet nobody wants to buy it from you, your house is effectively worthless. If someone wants to buy a Bitcoin from you for $500, it's value is $500, regardless of whether it is "intrinsic" or not.

While I understand emphasis put on intrinsic value (by some), it is easy to dance around the intrinsic value argument and draw convenient conclusions for or against bitcoin. As a buddy put it to me, fiat has no intrinsic value other than the cost of paper/metal making it and the fungibility as legal tender (a little bit of a naive argument but nonetheless revealing). Bitcoin is really new and that newness, and lack of understanding it, can cause all sorts of anxiety before people accept the concept. Sort of like when email was introduced - some were anxious about moving from tangible letters to an invisible thing. The argument can be made to those saying you cant touch BTC, that email is the same way, unless you print it, you cant touch it.

That said, I recognize the complexity of this debate spanning many disciplines (economics, cryptography, banking, sociology, political science).
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:01:21 PM

Do you promise this is the Final Warning for Long-term holders? 
We don't get to look forward to any more?  Cheesy

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:36:55 PM

So tired of the "intrinsic value" argument (as if fiat currency has intrinsic value). What does have intrinsic value? Gold, silver I guess because of the time, effort and costs of producing them. What happens if major, easy to retrieve reserves are found someday? What happens if governments decide to tax the hell out of gold and silver so much so that nobody wants them anymore?

Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for something, plain and simple. If you have a house that some bureaucrat appraises at 10 million dollars, yet nobody wants to buy it from you, your house is effectively worthless. If someone wants to buy a Bitcoin from you for $500, it's value is $500, regardless of whether it is "intrinsic" or not.

While I understand emphasis put on intrinsic value (by some), it is easy to dance around the intrinsic value argument and draw convenient conclusions for or against bitcoin. As a buddy put it to me, fiat has no intrinsic value other than the cost of paper/metal making it and the fungibility as legal tender (a little bit of a naive argument but nonetheless revealing). Bitcoin is really new and that newness, and lack of understanding it, can cause all sorts of anxiety before people accept the concept. Sort of like when email was introduced - some were anxious about moving from tangible letters to an invisible thing. The argument can be made to those saying you cant touch BTC, that email is the same way, unless you print it, you cant touch it.

That said, I recognize the complexity of this debate spanning many disciplines (economics, cryptography, banking, sociology, political science).

+1

We used to back fiat by gold which is hard to dig up. Since fiat is no longer backed by gold it is turned into an IOY of the government with no actual value.
Bitcoin uses a complex math problem to back the currency which is a different type of work. Talking about how hard it is to dig for gold is more easily explained to average Joe then scalar division of a point on an elliptic curve which is confined to a fixed domain using a modulus function Smiley.

People need to accept bitcoin as "secure" without having to understand the concepts behind it. Like driving a car without knowing how a combustion engine works or sending mail without understanding TCP/IP.

People also like to hold something. I myself feel better with a bar of gold in my safe instead of a 53 char private key of a wallet with the equivalent value loaded. We need to learn and accept bitcoin. It's all a matter of time.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: