Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:43:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you messed up and lost BTC? *UI Suggestion*  (Read 1516 times)
Fizzgig (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:39:57 PM

Let me tell you of my near folly experience. I withdrew BTC from an account online, that means I clicked address book (like I'm used to doing (I just updated to the new horrible UI)) then I saw a list of addresses so assigned a label to one and copied it and used that for my receiving address. What I did was rename the label of an address I already sent to, then copied that address thinking it was a receiving address. When I withdrew my BTC it was sent to this mystery address.

Fortunately the address I sent BTC to was another online account which I could withdraw from to a proper receiving address.

Moral of this Story: The "Address Book" button should be used for personal information relating to send functions, not receive functions.

Suggestion: Remove the "Address Book" button from the UI and put that functionality within the "Send Coins" button. For example, once a user presses "send coins" a list of the users addresses would show below the essential input boxes. This prevents users from mistaking an address book for a list of their own addresses.

Best Bitcoin supported browser game:
Minethings: Dig, Trade, and Fight your way to influence!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 05:42:17 PM

You thought you could just add your own receiving address and label it?

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:56:35 PM

I did for a moment. Once you understand the design, you understand it - but for a new adopter, the UI of the vanilla client is confusing.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Fizzgig (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:01:36 PM

I thought I already had many receiving addresses in my address book, I just needed to assign a label to them (Something like that existed in the previous version).

Edit: I think that is where it's confusing, the address book only corresponds to sent addresses, not received addresses.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 07:22:21 PM

Suggestion: Remove the "Address Book" button from the UI and put that functionality within the "Send Coins" button. For example, once a user presses "send coins" a list of the users addresses would show below the essential input boxes. This prevents users from mistaking an address book for a list of their own addresses.

i think this makes sense.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 09:31:52 PM

I don't know about you, but my paper address book contains information on my contacts, not on myself. Just as it is in the new GUI.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Fizzgig (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 03:48:24 AM

I don't know about you, but my paper address book contains information on my contacts, not on myself. Just as it is in the new GUI.

Yes but that would assume that you want to mirror the Bitcoin client after a physical model, I'm just looking to arrange it in the most logical way.

Sannyasi

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 04:26:17 AM

Don't want to hijack a thread but this seems like the right place to put this. I've got 5 BTC stuck in my old deepbit account because I locked the send address then reinstalled windows- i had an empty wallet so i didn't even consider this. I was about to make a thread asking if there is any way to add an address to a wallet, if there is I'd be happy to send 2 BTC to whoever can help me. I doubt it's possible but perhaps worth asking at the least.

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 04:53:46 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2012, 05:16:39 AM by deepceleron

I can see the confusion that a user might have with the term "Address Book". A person's email address book, for example, only has recipients, it doesn't generally contain 100 of your own email addresses. I very specifically am mindful of whether I am looking at the sending or receiving tab; I may have "Theymos" in both my sending and receiving books.

Perhaps in the client, only sending addresses (your contacts, people you send bitcoins to) should be in the main GUI "address book" link; another button in the main toolbar that brings up just receiving addresses would further differentiate them. We just need a better name for such a "My Addresses" button that has a real-world analogy.

Another oddity that lends to confusion is the constanly changing "Your Bitcoin Address" in the main UI. It is incorrect, for one - that is only one of many address you may have, and is likely not one you have used before. If I want to use my previous addresses I will, and I ignore the new one until I have a need. It may be better to remove "Your Bitcoin Address" in the main UI. Instead, in the "My Addresses" area (where you can see all your receiving addresses), have a "create new address" feature that also prompts for a label. This would encourage labels for all addresses, and identification of who sent you coins would be easier by design. When a fresh client is installed, it could pre-label the first address it creates "My First Bitcoin Address".

Instead of Bitcoin auto-creating new addresses when it sees fit, when the new address creation parameters are met, it could prompt you "Reusing Bitcoin addresses reduces anonymity - create a new one now?". An option "Disable New Address Prompts" in settings could disable these prompts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: