Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:53:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-04-16] SecondMarket Launches First Fully Regulated American Bitcoin Exch.  (Read 1249 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 07:13:04 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2014, 12:21:35 PM by LiteCoinGuy

SecondMarket Launches First Fully Regulated American Bitcoin Exchange

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/secondmarket-launches-first-fully-regulated-american-bitcoin-exchange/2014/04/16

https://www.secondmarket.com/bitcoin-trading#ready

edit: UPDATE (17th April 9:30 GMT): SecondMarket has not yet launched its institutional bitcoin exchange – it’s expected later this year. However, the company has added a new page to their website for “market making” as clarified by founder and CEO Barry Silbert over Twitter.

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:27:08 PM

"After passing the compliance steps, you will be contacted by a SecondMarket representative.  You would then proceed to negotiate a fair market-valued price for the transaction to be completed.

After a successful negotiation, sellers would send their Bitcoins to a SecondMarket Bitcoin address.  Following six confirmations by the Bitcoin network, SecondMarket will wire the promised USD amount to the seller’s bank account.  Buyers, on the other hand, would send funds, via wire, to SecondMarket along with a Bitcoin address.  SecondMarket would then send the Bitcoins to the provided address...."

You would then proceed to negotiate a fair market-valued price...
Certainly not what I have in mind when I consider trading.
Let's hope a real exchange can open in the USA someday?

CoinMode

Activity: 417
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 10:27:56 PM

"After passing the compliance steps, you will be contacted by a SecondMarket representative.  You would then proceed to negotiate a fair market-valued price for the transaction to be completed.

So, this is how localbitcoins/ebay works? Do you just have one buyer and one seller, no order books? If so, it isn't a real exchange.  Cry
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:07:28 PM

So, this is how localbitcoins/ebay works? Do you just have one buyer and one seller, no order books? If so, it isn't a real exchange.  Cry

Based on this:
"...you will be contacted by a SecondMarket representative.  You would then proceed to negotiate a fair market-valued price for the transaction to be completed."
It does not look like a real exchange at all.

uhoh

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:29:55 PM

"After passing the compliance steps, you will be contacted by a SecondMarket representative.  You would then proceed to negotiate a fair market-valued price for the transaction to be completed.

So, this is how localbitcoins/ebay works? Do you just have one buyer and one seller, no order books? If so, it isn't a real exchange.  Cry

Based on this:
"...you will be contacted by a SecondMarket representative.  You would then proceed to negotiate a fair market-valued price for the transaction to be completed."
It does not look like a real exchange at all.

I have no idea how this has got picked up so inaccurately by the news outlets. This IS NOT the exchange they are planning to launch late 2014... It's just market making for the BIT Trust. The page has been up for weeks months!!!

https://twitter.com/barrysilbert/status/456561654856048640
iraszl

Activity: 266
Merit: 257

Enthusiast

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:31:09 PM

Incorrect! Exchange is coming late summer.

Read what's happening: http://bitcoinowl.com/clarification-secondmarkets-exchange
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:47:08 PM

Read what's happening: http://bitcoinowl.com/clarification-secondmarkets-exchange

Thanks. I understand what that link is saying but it contains a faulty example:
"The SecondMarket exchange will act as a hub and facilitator of transactions. The members will trade with each other directly within SecondMarket's platform. The exchange will have its own capital in BTC too to provide high liquidity. For example J.P.Morgan may come in a say they want to buy 10,000 bitcoins for themselves or their clients. They would announce this on SecondMarket and Bitstamp would offer a price. If they agree J.P.Morgan will pay Bitstamp directly and Bitstamp would send the coins to J.P.Morgan's address directly as well."
^^^
"Bitstamp" might have 10,000 legit coins to sell, but the example is (at least a bit) confusing and sounds like Bitstamp can trade with customer funds.

CoinMode

Activity: 417

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 02:35:56 AM

Thanks. I understand what that link is saying but it contains a faulty example:
"The SecondMarket exchange will act as a hub and facilitator of transactions. The members will trade with each other directly within SecondMarket's platform. The exchange will have its own capital in BTC too to provide high liquidity. For example J.P.Morgan may come in a say they want to buy 10,000 bitcoins for themselves or their clients. They would announce this on SecondMarket and Bitstamp would offer a price. If they agree J.P.Morgan will pay Bitstamp directly and Bitstamp would send the coins to J.P.Morgan's address directly as well."
^^^
"Bitstamp" might have 10,000 legit coins to sell, but the example is (at least a bit) confusing and sounds like Bitstamp can trade with customer funds.

I can see a few big whales getting in for dirt cheap. This won't raise the adoption, hashrate, decentralization, or price of the network much, but it will raise the legitimacy of bitcoin a lot.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 07:04:39 AM

This is really great news. An American exchange will make sure that at least no user will get Goxxed. I hope they will be publicly listed, so that their accounts and audits will he open to everyone.
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:06:03 AM

An American exchange will make sure that at least no user will get Goxxed.

What? No criminals in the US?
patricktim

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:16:28 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2014, 07:43:53 AM by patricktim

congrats to SecondMarket Launch ,
cheers best new today.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:16:26 AM

Has any of our American members checked out this exchange yet? I am yet to view any feedback on the quality of the service.  Grin
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:52:48 AM

An American exchange will make sure that at least no user will get Goxxed.

What? No criminals in the US?

We put so many people in jail that we totally ran out of criminals, with the notable exception of politicians, drug company executives, bankers, gang members, and several older people who are actively trying to get back into jail:
Man Said to Be Homesick for Prison Gets 3½ Years.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:07:43 AM

lol "negotiate" a price.

Um if there is no order book then that isn't a transparent exchange. Good luck with that bullshit.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:32:10 AM

...which will eventually lose out to an unregulated exchange. Or turn out to be a scam.

You heard it from me first.

I'm grumpy!!
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:37:49 AM

This is big news because it represents the entrance for Wall Street into BTC.   This could very possibly lead to astronomical BTC prices.  Just think what it would do to prices for a couple of the big banks to invest several hundred million dollars into the BTC ecosystem.  Second Market is a recognized name on Wall Street, whereas they most likely wouldn't touch exchanges like BTC-E with a 10 foot pole
ecrick3

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:06:08 AM

my friends and I just checked out the exchange.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:17:41 AM

I know that they were only purchasing in lumps of 25 BTC at first, to load up on their holdings.   I believe they stated that they now have 100k BTC or something like that in their Investment trust.  25BTC is a lot, but it isn't a fortune...I am curious as to the number of people that have sold BTC to them.

I don't think they would ever make that public information, but I am still curious...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: