Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:30:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quit smoking  (Read 6669 times)
bumblebeee

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 03:19:55 PM

Harder then most people think.

Social influence and other aspects.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 03:24:29 PM

There's a myth that even if you're exercising, then smoking is not a problem.

That is entirely false, smoking restricts the amount of blood and oxygen that can flow through the capillaries, too much stress on your body would lead to a heart attack if you're a avid smoker and you exercise/do physical activities.

Stop smoking slowly, cut the amount of packs you smoke in half every month, until you're almost done. Find another way to deal with stress, do yoga(which is much cheaper than paying $10 a pack), do some other thing that you enjoy to relieve stress, but stop smoking. Cigarettes contain hundreds of cancer causing carcinogens, as well as some crazy lethal substances such as ammonia, rat poison, lead, etc.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 03:43:33 PM

There's a myth that even if you're exercising, then smoking is not a problem.

That is entirely false, smoking restricts the amount of blood and oxygen that can flow through the capillaries, too much stress on your body would lead to a heart attack if you're a avid smoker and you exercise/do physical activities.

Stop smoking slowly, cut the amount of packs you smoke in half every month, until you're almost done. Find another way to deal with stress, do yoga(which is much cheaper than paying $10 a pack), do some other thing that you enjoy to relieve stress, but stop smoking. Cigarettes contain hundreds of cancer causing carcinogens, as well as some crazy lethal substances such as ammonia, rat poison, lead, etc.

It's not $10 a pack, it is $2.80 a pack, so the money is not the problem. I don't think that it would, it rather could lead to a heart attack. I know a guy who smokes about 2 packs a day, he exercises a lot with me sometimes.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
CADguy

Activity: 330
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:24:00 PM

today i just smoke only 2 cig but this time i can able to stop my feel regarding cigarettes in other thing to motivate

good job, keep going in the direction you want to go! Smiley
15Peter20

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:28:10 PM

I quit at the beginning of this year but sadly restarted. I hope I can one day kick the habit.

What made you start again. Seems quite an achievement to go so far then relapse.

Other people smoking around me at work. This triggered me to smoke one again.

Why don't you try one of those e-cig things?
sarmmad

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:42:34 PM

You can try to quit your smoking by not buying cigarette or any other smoking stuff but its almost impossible to quit your smoking. if you are not addicted to smoking you can make it less e.g if you smokes 10 a day slowly make it to 8  than 6 than 4 than 2...
like i smoked 12 to 15 a day but i try to quit it 4 times but never make it, then i tried to smoke less 1st i make it 15 to 10 than 10 to 6 and now i just smoke 3 or 4 a day...
you can try it may be you are able to quit it... Smiley
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 02:13:18 PM

You can try to quit your smoking by not buying cigarette or any other smoking stuff but its almost impossible to quit your smoking. if you are not addicted to smoking you can make it less e.g if you smokes 10 a day slowly make it to 8  than 6 than 4 than 2...
like i smoked 12 to 15 a day but i try to quit it 4 times but never make it, then i tried to smoke less 1st i make it 15 to 10 than 10 to 6 and now i just smoke 3 or 4 a day...
I found that 'quitting smoking' is typically doomed to failure. It implies a constant effort that you are struggling against. I tried a few times over the years to no avail. After ~20 years since my first cig I decided I was just 'a non-smoker'. It was a subtle change in mindset but its been about 3 months, no real issues. Ive even gotten shit faced and not smoked.
I'm thinking that the physical addiction must not have affected me and it was a lot more of a psychological thing.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 02:44:19 PM

This thread is full of 'advice' from people who have obviously never smoked (just stop, dude!) or those who have tried to quit and know just how bad things get when you deny yourself the thing you are physically, neurologically, psychologically, habitually, addicted to.

Let me explain something to you that non-smokers generally don't know and most smokers aren't aware of either.

Nicotine raises the level of Dopamine in the brain.

Ok, so?

Well, the dopaminergic 'anticipation' and 'reward' trigger is why you can't quit or, if you try, why you can't stop feeling that life would be so much better if you had one, just one, fucking cigarette!

Can I get a 'Hellz Yeah!' from the smoking section? Sorry, I couldn't hear it above the endless coughing and hacking up of phlegm, never mind.

Am I just trolling you at this point, OP? No, I'm going to give you a chance to truly give quitting a go, relatively painlessly too.

Will power alone *might* work, but you never really shake that feeling that a smoke would enhance every and any situation you find yourself in. Your brain has become conditioned to prompt you to light up at numerous 'triggers' in your everyday activities and even the very thought of having a cigarette will cause the neurological response of anticipatory 'reward' to kick in. So much so that if you don't have a smoke you'll experience a mood change of frustration and anger because someone, or something, is stopping you satisfying that compulsion and, by crikey, you're gonna rain down a world of hurt on them/it.

If you remove the dopamine effect from smoking, however, the quitting process is infinitely easier and more manageable, requiring simply the occasional reminder as trigger points crop up that you are no longer a smoker and you will learn new responses to situations, ones that do not require a cigarette.

Zyban - Wellbutrin - Bupropion

All the same thing, namely, the generic drug Bupropion. If you start to take it every day (following suitable advice from your clinician or medical professional), while you continue to smoke as normal, you will actually find that the number of cigarettes you consume each day begins to drop until, when you are at the point of realising you no longer have the physiological compulsion to smoke, you are free to take the final step of actually choosing to not smoke anymore.

Because Bupropion is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, it generally mutes the usual flood of 'anticipation and reward' dopamine that cigarettes normally elicit in a person, meaning that the, very very real, compulsion is no longer present.

That is how you quit successfully, by making sure that you go about it in a sensible, informed and practical way, dealing with the actual neurology of smoking, rather than beating yourself up for not being 'strong' enough to do it when, the truth is, we are all slaves to conditioning, in many aspects of our lives.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 02:46:25 PM

I quit at the beginning of this year but sadly restarted. I hope I can one day kick the habit.

What made you start again. Seems quite an achievement to go so far then relapse.

Other people smoking around me at work. This triggered me to smoke one again.

Why don't you try one of those e-cig things?

We did talk about that a lot earlier in the thread. I don't recommend e-cigarettes because they don't work that well, but a vaping device where you fill up tanks with liquid that you buy yourself, works really really well.
bitmaster111

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 02:47:36 PM

i love smoking don't want to quit Smiley
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 02:51:43 PM

Dopamine suppressing drugs sound like a one way trip to depression.

I'm an earlier commenter and an ex smoker and I'm sorry but the advice of take these drugs and smoke as usual is probably one of the worst Ive ever seen.

Yes we know thats what your addicted to but the countless 1000's of people who have quit on will power alone will tell you it can be done. We're not talking about getting off crack here. Everybody has their different methods and what works for them but convincing people that "no your not strong enough you need some other drugs" feels counter productive.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 03:03:37 PM

You can try to quit your smoking by not buying cigarette or any other smoking stuff but its almost impossible to quit your smoking. if you are not addicted to smoking you can make it less e.g if you smokes 10 a day slowly make it to 8  than 6 than 4 than 2...
Well yes this might actually work. I've only smoked 2 today, compared to the days when I smoke a pack or two.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:08:35 PM

Don't quit, just stop.

If you stop, then you can start again and not feel like a failure.

If you quit...well, nobody likes to be a quitter, and if you start again, then you're a double quitter -- a quitter that quits quitting.  Besides, if you start smoking again, then technically you never quit -- you stopped.
acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:10:30 PM

I think smoking cinnamon sticks helps people to stop smoking Cannabis. I dunno if it'll help you with cigarettes.
cryptodevil
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:13:43 PM

LOL, knowledge fail.

Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant.

Bupropion is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, it does not suppress dopamine, quite the opposite, it causes dopamine levels to remain higher for longer, thereby preventing the sudden 'flood' of dopamine hitting the synapses that a cigarette, or the thought of one, would cause.

I'm an earlier commenter and an ex smoker and I'm sorry but the advice of take these drugs and smoke as usual is probably one of the worst Ive ever seen.
Based on what, exactly? That you are well informed about the neurology and pharmacology of the issue or, as I suspect, that your knee just jerked through the monitor because someone suggested something that you don't agree with for no other reason than, well, you just don't.

Yes we know that's what your addicted to but the countless 1000's of people who have quit on will power alone will tell you it can be done.
The plural of anecdote is not 'data'.

Countless thousands may have quit with will-power alone, but countless millions have tried and failed because it *is* fucking hard, solely because of the reasons I have already explained. But, hey, good for you for quitting on will-power alone, just don't be *that* guy who harps on about it endlessly and claims that all a smoker has to do is be like you and just . . .stop.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:17:51 PM

I know some people who quit by using "laser treatment" (seriously, wtf?) and a few others who used a drug specifically designed to help people quit smoking but they reported some pretty weird side effects. One guy told me the drug made him occasionally become enraged near the end of the treatment.

I'd just give vaping a shot... it's simple and straightforward and it's easy and it works.
cryptodevil
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:34:35 PM

others who used a drug specifically designed to help people quit smoking but they reported some pretty weird side effects.
You are talking about Chantix/Champix which, while it can be extremely effective for some, does often result in some really bizarre mood issues and disturbing dreams for quite a number of people apparently.

That's why I recommended Bupropion, it has zero abuse potential, a wide safety margin and very little in the way of reported side-effects.

Vaping, which is no doubt 'healthier' than regular smoking, is still continuing the nicotine/dopamine reward cycle and, while the harmful effects of a plethora or toxic chemicals that are found in tobacco can be avoided to some degree, it is not as good as actually quitting completely.

dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:35:27 PM

LOL, knowledge fail.

Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant.

Bupropion is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, it does not suppress dopamine, quite the opposite, it causes dopamine levels to remain higher for longer, thereby preventing the sudden 'flood' of dopamine hitting the synapses that a cigarette, or the thought of one, would cause.

Based on what, exactly? That you are well informed about the neurology and pharmacology of the issue or, as I suspect, that your knee just jerked through the monitor because someone suggested something that you don't agree with for no other reason than, well, you just don't.

Yes we know that's what your addicted to but the countless 1000's of people who have quit on will power alone will tell you it can be done.
The plural of anecdote is not 'data'.

Countless thousands may have quit with will-power alone, but countless millions have tried and failed because it *is* fucking hard, solely because of the reasons I have already explained. But, hey, good for you for quitting on will-power alone, just don't be *that* guy who harps on about it endlessly and claims that all a smoker has to do is be like you and just . . .stop.

Calm down, smoke another cig and chill out.

LOL , please point me to where Ive been " *that* guy who harps on about it endlessly" I've made one previous comment a few pages back. We're in an off topic section of a forum mate even if I wanted to be that guy , whats it to you.

anyway.

See the thing is about all the medical data, with one expert telling you this and one expert telling you that is at the bottom of it it doesn't really matter.

The ONLY thing you need to do to stop smoking is.... stop smoking.

How difficult it is to do that depends on a myraid of things but at the very bottom of it if you don't put a cigarette in your mouth and light it you've quit smoking.

So many pussys in the world now who need a concoction of pharmaceuticals and somebody whispering sweet advice in their ear to man up and achieve a goal you set yourself. I dont really care if you agree with me or not your opinion doesn't matter to me. I'll continue my smoke free life either way!
lemfuture

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:38:14 PM

play basketball and realize that smoking is limiting your performance.
could be tangible to other things that makes smoking as counter productive

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
cryptodevil
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:45:50 PM

Firstly, don't block-quote an entire post, that's a noob move that clutters up threads.

Secondly, way to claim you're not being *that* guy as you post a reply that is exactly that, namely, you being *that* guy.

Calm down, smoke another cig and chill out.
I don't smoke anymore. I quit a number of years ago using Allen Carr's 'Easyway' book. It worked but it was not 'easy', just doable.

See the thing is about all the medical data, with one expert telling you this and one expert telling you that is at the bottom of it it doesn't really matter.
Fucking hell, what an utterly vapid assertion. What do you mean "it doesn't really matter"?

The ONLY thing you need to do to stop smoking is.... stop smoking.
Yeah, that'll be you being *that* guy.

So many pussys in the world now who need a concoction of pharmaceuticals and somebody whispering sweet advice in their ear to man up and achieve a goal you set yourself.
Yup, *that* guy, again.

I dont really care if you agree with me or not your opinion doesn't matter to me. I'll continue my smoke free life either way!
You seemed to care enough about my opinion to attempt to rubbish it. Perhaps you'd like to come at me with something resembling useful facts instead of that jerking knee you seem to suffer from. Careful with that, it appears to cause your foot to end up in your mouth repeatedly.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: