Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:47:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vending machine  (Read 2918 times)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 03:44:45 AM

Internet will be ubiquitous very soon and this is future tech so I don't think the network connection is really a problem.

I'm excited for more real world applications of bitcoins that work like this.

Once armory is lightweight, it's watching wallets will be perfect for this.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 05:22:56 AM

Internet will be ubiquitous very soon and this is future tech so I don't think the network connection is really a problem.

Not even close,  the people running vending machines are not the same people running local shops.  And its not easy to get cooperation for internet access. Which leaves 30$+ cell data connections     accounts that will NOT accept bitcoins as payment
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:10:03 AM

Not even close,  the people running vending machines are not the same people running local shops.  And its not easy to get cooperation for internet access. Which leaves 30$+ cell data connections     accounts that will NOT accept bitcoins as payment

Why does the cell phone need to accept btc as payment to fund it's cell data plan....thats irrelevant.
Atop that, Who says this thing is even connected to the internet? On that topic, All it really needs to do is ping every 10mins to keep the prices correct, Why do i think it doesnt need the internet?

Well. Because my fucking GameBoyColour could trade pokémon without the internet.
the machines could simply use someform of LAN styled Wi-fi gateways, Like how you cell phone or NDS can act as a "Hotspot" for everyone to use it's connection, If it has one.

"Turn on vender" "Phone see's WIFI access point and connects" "Vender see's phone" "phone says, 'i want this product'" "Vender says 'give me money first at his QR code'" "phone says OK and sends 1btc to that QR encoded address" "Vender gets the coin, And drops the food"

I dont see a need for the internet with this One transaction, But for continuous usage it would look more like
"Turn on vender, PRICE CHECK,via dialup56k internet" "Phone finds WiFi gateway" "Vender allows phone to connect" "phone asks for product" "Vender says product costs yz.abcdefgh, Send money to this QR code" "Phone says OK and sends yz.abcdefgh" "Vender gets the coin, and drops the food" "MARKET PRICE CHECK every 30mins via 56kdialup"

The machine Does Not Need to sync to the blockchain, Unless someone can give me a reason as towards otherwise why it must.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 08:57:28 AM

If you want to trade in BTC without being connected to blockchain and announced transactions, you will have a tough time to think it up working.

For example, one could pay by giving an address with given amount and private code for that address, but still, the vending machine must check if it is still in the blockchain and ASAP transfer that money out of that address.

Everything will be connected. Soon or later.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 09:01:59 AM

If you want to trade in BTC without being connected to blockchain and announced transactions, you will have a tough time to think it up working.

For example, one could pay by giving an address with given amount and private code for that address, but still, the vending machine must check if it is still in the blockchain and ASAP transfer that money out of that address.

Ahhhhh Thats what i missed, The sending of fake coins, DOY!

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 12:23:19 PM

It could just use a low bandwidth connection to the vending machine operator's private server systems which do the actual blockchain checking.
These servers could even issue the payment addresses to the machine so that the private keys never need to be stored on the vending machine or even travel to/from it.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 01:13:35 PM

If you want to trade in BTC without being connected to blockchain and announced transactions, you will have

It could just use a low bandwidth connection to the vending machine operator's private server systems which do the actual blockchain checking.
These servers could even issue the payment addresses to the machine so that the private keys never need to be stored on the vending machine or even travel to/from it.

Exactly. The transaction doesn't have to happen at the machine level. As long as the machine gets "authorized" to drop that pack of popcorn, the transaction can fully happen elsewhere.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 02:58:45 PM

How about this simple thought.

There is vending machines in nearly every school out there..

How many schools DONT have internet? let alone a Wireless router..?

Or how about a shopping mall, because they NEVER have internet either...

Having an internet connection is a non issue...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 03:18:00 PM

Have you never seen a credit card enabled vending machine?  Even in VA they are getting a lot more common.  They don't use a retail cellphone plan.  I mean the average vending machine round trip communication is maybe 1kb.   The service is more like $5 to $10 per month for low bandwidth connection.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 04:56:30 PM

Have you never seen a credit card enabled vending machine?  Even in VA they are getting a lot more common.  They don't use a retail cellphone plan.  I mean the average vending machine round trip communication is maybe 1kb.   The service is more like $5 to $10 per month for low bandwidth connection.
Also, cellular carriers have very steep discounts available to very low bandwidth and/or SMS-only plans that are used for machine automation and control. I think this has something to do with them not needing to guarantee 911 service to such "telemetry" applications.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 06:12:04 PM

Also, cellular carriers have very steep discounts available to very low bandwidth and/or SMS-only plans that are used for machine automation and control. I think this has something to do with them not needing to guarantee 911 service to such "telemetry" applications.

Yeah it is the same technology as cellular alarm backups.  We have one (because we have no landline and internet isn't 99.999% reliable).  It costs about $7 more per month and that is likely with some retail markup.  Someone deploying a thousand vending machines likely can get a contract in the $2 per unit per month range.
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 07:44:52 PM

Unless this is all wild speculation please give some links with these low monthly cell plans  the best i can find min $10 a month with 2500 sms messages

Also i worked at an alarm company and their deal was 1.50$ per text message assuming they wouldnt get many messages... But false alarms are pricey so they still charged customers over $7 a month for the service  over and above hardware costs
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 09:23:01 PM

Unless this is all wild speculation please give some links with these low monthly cell plans  the best i can find min $10 a month with 2500 sms messages

Also i worked at an alarm company and their deal was 1.50$ per text message assuming they wouldnt get many messages... But false alarms are pricey so they still charged customers over $7 a month for the service  over and above hardware costs
Well its stuff they won't give you pricing on up front usually - and I'm sure that anyone who has struck a good deal with a carrier wouldn't be chatting about it much. An example though, is this link from Telstra NZ - scroll to the bottom for some of their telemetry rates.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: