Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:29:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidsafe  (Read 9388 times)
dirvine

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:30:48 PM

Going back to the legal aspects: i wouldn't worry about the NSA too much. If they want access, they'll get it. Probably already have, given the age of the project.
And providing that you aren't tagged as a "terrorist" by the US gov, it shouldn't be a problem for the average user or Maidsafe itself

I'd be more worried about Sony, tbh. Every dropbox system ever created has been used by the warez scene (remember the Yahoo Briefcase, godabuzz fans?) and an encrypted, decentralised, anonymous storage system certainly offers possiblities for the illegal sharing of copyright content.
If Sony (or any other big music/software/movie company) felt that MS was stepping on their toes in any way, the central core of the MS project will be an easy legal target, and Sony has resources that make the $12 million (?) from the IPO look like coffee money.
The same problem also arises with law enforcement /police agencies: individual users may well be able to remain relatively anonymous, but the public head of the MS project is always going to be an easy target.

Any MS guys with ideas about this ?
I am currently seen as the public head (not for long if I succeed). We have just spread this across the planet. It is all open, all owned by everyone and will be very difficult to stop. So now there is no public head, no company at the centre, this is decentralisation of the whole system. In terms of being infiltrated etc. if you knew anything at all about me (I am not being cheeky here) then you would know this was impossible for me to allow. If I quit all of a sudden then worry, I never and the code is our there. Many eyes are being trained on this now, many devs are to receive training from us and others to develop the core.

I am not money driven, so a hard target, no amount of cash could buy me off when I can see the face of some child who would be disadvantaged by not doing this. We are single entities us humans and part of a species. It is our individual duty to protect and further the species. If you can remove greed from your person you are already protected beyond belief. If the target becomes more than money, then that's the risk we take. I choose to accept that risk gladly.

My well being is irrelevant to the world when all is taken into account. The opportunity for a free privacy enhancing and secure mechanism of information transfer and protection is way more important than any single person or team. Knowing this, absolutely and with 100% conviction makes you a very difficult adversary for those who would choose to stop freedom. I believe this stance is an easy one for people to follow and adopt, the greed stance is so last century, more of us can count now, more of us are educated and more of us are building project SAFE each day.

I doubt there will be any backdoors, there may be attacks, we seen all the mt gox lies and deceit already spewed about , that only works with weak minds, I do not believe society is made up of weak minds. We can see now our eyes are opening and the path ahead should be clear. Lets take our Internet back for a start, a very small start, but a start never the less. We are taking these steps now, everyone is welcome to join, we can be legions for change and we all know this is an inevitability, no need to wonder. We will take back our freedom and dignity.

Backdoor that :-)
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:28:50 PM

Going back to the legal aspects: i wouldn't worry about the NSA too much. If they want access, they'll get it. Probably already have, given the age of the project.
And providing that you aren't tagged as a "terrorist" by the US gov, it shouldn't be a problem for the average user or Maidsafe itself

I'd be more worried about Sony, tbh. Every dropbox system ever created has been used by the warez scene (remember the Yahoo Briefcase, godabuzz fans?) and an encrypted, decentralised, anonymous storage system certainly offers possiblities for the illegal sharing of copyright content.
If Sony (or any other big music/software/movie company) felt that MS was stepping on their toes in any way, the central core of the MS project will be an easy legal target, and Sony has resources that make the $12 million (?) from the IPO look like coffee money.
The same problem also arises with law enforcement /police agencies: individual users may well be able to remain relatively anonymous, but the public head of the MS project is always going to be an easy target.

I am currently seen as the public head (not for long if I succeed). We have just spread this across the planet. It is all open, all owned by everyone and will be very difficult to stop. So now there is no public head, no company at the centre, this is decentralisation of the whole system. In terms of being infiltrated etc. if you knew anything at all about me (I am not being cheeky here) then you would know this was impossible for me to allow. If I quit all of a sudden then worry, I never and the code is our there. Many eyes are being trained on this now, many devs are to receive training from us and others to develop the core.

I am not money driven, so a hard target, no amount of cash could buy me off when I can see the face of some child who would be disadvantaged by not doing this. We are single entities us humans and part of a species. It is our individual duty to protect and further the species. If you can remove greed from your person you are already protected beyond belief. If the target becomes more than money, then that's the risk we take. I choose to accept that risk gladly.

My well being is irrelevant to the world when all is taken into account. The opportunity for a free privacy enhancing and secure mechanism of information transfer and protection is way more important than any single person or team. Knowing this, absolutely and with 100% conviction makes you a very difficult adversary for those who would choose to stop freedom. I believe this stance is an easy one for people to follow and adopt, the greed stance is so last century, more of us can count now, more of us are educated and more of us are building project SAFE each day.

I doubt there will be any backdoors, there may be attacks, we seen all the mt gox lies and deceit already spewed about , that only works with weak minds, I do not believe society is made up of weak minds. We can see now our eyes are opening and the path ahead should be clear. Lets take our Internet back for a start, a very small start, but a start never the less. We are taking these steps now, everyone is welcome to join, we can be legions for change and we all know this is an inevitability, no need to wonder. We will take back our freedom and dignity.

Thats me out.
Idealism is good, blind naivety not.
If you think that MS will make a real contribution to freedom in a world where many people are quite happy to kill their neighbours because of a slight difference in skin colouration/religious affiliation/ethnic background then you are sadly mistaken.

I'd prefer to see MS being based on blind greed, tbh.

And the point about being infiltrated is that the infiltrators rarely ask permission beforehand.
If MS comes up on the intelligence communities radar, they will get in somehow. Remember Stuxnet? Echelon? Snowden?
But, like I said earlier, I think you'll have more problems from Sony or possibly the cops.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 03:08:07 AM

Thats me out.
Idealism is good, blind naivety not.
If you think that MS will make a real contribution to freedom in a world where many people are quite happy to kill their neighbours because of a slight difference in skin colouration/religious affiliation/ethnic background then you are sadly mistaken.

I'd prefer to see MS being based on blind greed, tbh.

And the point about being infiltrated is that the infiltrators rarely ask permission beforehand.
If MS comes up on the intelligence communities radar, they will get in somehow. Remember Stuxnet? Echelon? Snowden?
But, like I said earlier, I think you'll have more problems from Sony or possibly the cops.

so by your logic nothing is ever capable of making any real contribution to freedom.

funny that most people in the western countries are still not serfs or slaves to their aristocratic lords.

or perhaps this may just be a reflection of the people which you are surrounded by, in that case I would encourage you to make new friends as there are plenty of intelligent people who are the exact opposite of the types you describe.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 02:55:00 AM

MaidSafe recommends that we use the EldoS Callback File System for Windows. They also seem to say that the CBFS is not necessary, but that things run better with it. All I can find about pricing for this software is in the thousands of dollars, even for a single computer.

How necessary is the CBFS?
How much better would it make the MaidSafe system run?
Are we each going to have to spend $thousands just to get MaidSafe to run on our individual computers like it should?
Or is there a free version somewhere?

https://www.eldos.com/cbfs/order.php#product
https://www.eldos.com/cbfs/price-list.php

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
dirvine

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 04:46:41 AM

MaidSafe recommends that we use the EldoS Callback File System for Windows. They also seem to say that the CBFS is not necessary, but that things run better with it. All I can find about pricing for this software is in the thousands of dollars, even for a single computer.

How necessary is the CBFS?
How much better would it make the MaidSafe system run?
Are we each going to have to spend $thousands just to get MaidSafe to run on our individual computers like it should?
Or is there a free version somewhere?

https://www.eldos.com/cbfs/order.php#product
https://www.eldos.com/cbfs/price-list.php

Smiley

You will be fine, there will be binaries provided, maidsafe purchased a license to be able to do that. It affects developers who want to do something more specific with a VFS on windows. We do hope eventually to create such a system ourselves or the community. So it wont affect users or developers, unless and dev wants a specific vfs change.

Its a current failing that windows has no open source alternative, Dokan looked good for a while but stalled. Somebody needs to create a proper fuse for windows.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:37:29 PM

Any idea how long yet, before I can go to the MaidSafe site, and download the install.client.exe, and click the icon in my download folder, to install it on my Windows machine?

I'm ready to donate some bandwidth and hard drive space, especially if I'm going to get paid a little.

Thanks.

Smiley

EDIT: I'm actually getting fat just sitting here waiting.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Djentriser

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

🌟 æternity🌟 blockchain🌟

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 06:48:40 PM

Why is this thread so dead? Any updates on progess? :O

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:52:55 PM