Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:50:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and Anarchism  (Read 1413 times)
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:30:35 PM

They would use force to prevent non-payers using their roads.

Really? You can think of no other way?

What other way do you suggest, ultimately?
You have built a valuable road.
People are using it against your will.
How do you stop them?

No we haven't. For almost 800 years, we have found that extracting money on threat of violence is the most efficient way to fund any endeavour of the ruling elites. That you would trade your freedom for some smooth tarmac and a shiny iPod says more about you than it does about alternatives to extracting money on threat of violence.

Every society ultimately ends up with someone with control of power running it, whether that power is the threat of force, or money or equivalent to be able to hire the threat of force, or agreements with other societies to be covered by the umbrella of their threat of force.
If it didn't, it would be taken over by the warlord next door, and would have no way of preventing it.
As long as the guy next door has a gang, and no morals, you need either a bigger gang, or to bring yourself within the protection of a someone else's bigger gang.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
5flags (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 04:40:26 PM

How do you stop them?

How are cars prevented from entering toll roads without paying today? It's not really a complex problem.

Every society ultimately ends up with someone with control of power running it, whether that power is the threat of force, or money or equivalent to be able to hire the threat of force, or agreements with other societies to be covered by the umbrella of their threat of force.

And I will repost Nock:

According to my observations, mankind are among the most easily tamable and domesticable of all creatures in the animal world. They are readily reducible to submission, so readily conditionable (to coin a word) as to exhibit an almost incredibly enduring patience under restraint and oppression of the most flagrant character. So far are they from displaying any overweening love of freedom that they show a singular contentment with a condition of servitorship, often showing a curious canine pride in it, and again often simply unaware that they are existing in that condition.(Memoirs of the Superfluous Man)

You choose submission because you view it as inevitable. I choose another path. One of the benefits of being an anarchist is that I don't need you to agree with me Smiley

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
murraypaul

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:50:57 PM

How do you stop them?

How are cars prevented from entering toll roads without paying today? It's not really a complex problem.

Barriers, with attendants. And legal action if you don't pay. Ultimately the threat of imprisonment. Force.

And I will repost Nock:

According to my observations, mankind are among the most easily tamable and domesticable of all creatures in the animal world. They are readily reducible to submission, so readily conditionable (to coin a word) as to exhibit an almost incredibly enduring patience under restraint and oppression of the most flagrant character. So far are they from displaying any overweening love of freedom that they show a singular contentment with a condition of servitorship, often showing a curious canine pride in it, and again often simply unaware that they are existing in that condition.(Memoirs of the Superfluous Man)

You choose submission because you view it as inevitable. I choose another path. One of the benefits of being an anarchist is that I don't need you to agree with me Smiley

And, so far, thoughout history I have been correct Smiley

5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 04:53:46 PM

Barriers, with attendants. And legal action if you don't pay. Ultimately the threat of imprisonment. Force.

And if you had barriers which prevented cars from entering the road without paying?

And, so far, thoughout history I have been right Smiley

So has Nock. As a species, we are very accepting of subjugation, so much so that we take pride in it.

murraypaul

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 05:01:45 PM

And if you had barriers which prevented cars from entering the road without paying?

Then miscreants would try to remove them, and you would need to stop them.
Force shouldn't be necessary, but it is.

5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 06:44:33 AM

Then miscreants would try to remove them, and you would need to stop them.
Force shouldn't be necessary, but it is.

Nothing in anarchism prevents the use of force to protect property.

ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:55:17 PM

I just read thread's title and would say they have no relation whatsoever.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: