Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:56:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding Cold Storage  (Read 1341 times)
Dxuz (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:36:30 PM

so if someone have my private keys it means he can easily transfer my money to his address without any confirmation from me?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 03:39:18 PM

so if someone have my private keys it means he can easily transfer my money to his address without any confirmation from me?

Correct. Thats the whole purpose of the private key and thats why you must keep them private (hence the name). The only reason you have the coins in the first place is because you know that secret and can easily make the public key from that secret. Makeing a private key if you only know the public key is very hard (currently considered impossible).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Dxuz (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:52:35 PM

Correct. Thats the whole purpose of the private key and thats why you must keep them private (hence the name). The only reason you have the coins in the first place is because you know that secret and can easily make the public key from that secret. Makeing a private key if you only know the public key is very hard (currently considered impossible).

nice!, another question  Smiley

it's about wallet.dat.
1. What is that?
2. I saw at another thread, once he installed the wallet (e.g Bitcoin Core), he copied it (wallet.dat) to another removable media, then he just delete the OS. why?
3. So wallet.dat is "Removable Wallet"?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:55:53 PM

nice!, another question  Smiley

it's about wallet.dat.
1. What is that?
2. I saw at another thread, once he installed the wallet (e.g Bitcoin Core), he copied it (wallet.dat) to another removable media, then he just delete the OS. why?

Wallet.dat is the file that Bitcoin Core uses to store all the private keys that Bitcoin Core is using, and a list of transactions that were sent to or from that list of Private Keys.

If you remove that file, then you are removing the private keys.  If you replace that file you are replacing the private keys.  Bitcoin Core also has functionality to add other known private keys to the wallet.dat. This allows you to manipulate the set of addresses that Bitcoin Core has control over.
Dxuz (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 04:19:53 PM

sorry, i mean when i want to move my wallet to another pc or laptop, what i need to do is just copy wallet.dat and import it?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 04:22:19 PM

sorry, i mean when i want to move my wallet to another pc or laptop, what i need to do is just copy wallet.dat and import it?

Yes. The wallet.dat is where your private keys are. Everything else is not important. This is only true for bitcoin core though. Other wallet programms or services work differently. E.g. blockchain.info online wallet gives you a set of words like this
Code:
bullet footstep plain thereupon spurring inbound enquiries matured runabout computationally illuminates heeled individualistic insanely exits ferman
that you need to remember. You can actually try these words, its for an account I made for testing, have fun with it.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Dxuz (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:56:28 AM

it's about wallet.dat.
1. What is that?

Wallet.dat is the file that Bitcoin Core uses to store all the private keys that Bitcoin Core is using, and a list of transactions that were sent to or from that list of Private Keys.

If you remove that file, then you are removing the private keys.  If you replace that file you are replacing the private keys.  Bitcoin Core also has functionality to add other known private keys to the wallet.dat. This allows you to manipulate the set of addresses that Bitcoin Core has control over.
what wallet are you using now?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:20:34 AM

it's about wallet.dat.
1. What is that?

what wallet are you using now?

I use paper wallets for cold storage of bitcoins that I don't expect to spend within the next 3 months, and for providing escrow for transactions.

I use Armory offline for a secure PC based wallet to hold the bitcoins that I think I might want access to during the next 3 months.

I use an android tablet running blockchain.info to hold bitcoins that I expect to spend within the next 48 hours.

If I receive bitcoins while I'm away from home, I use blockchain.info to receive them, and then I transfer them either to an Armory address or a paper wallet when its convenient.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: