Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:44:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: any. thoughts on bit solo mining pool  (Read 6280 times)
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:52:37 AM

is it just me - or is this concept sort of dumb  Huh

If you want to solo-mine = run a copy of bitcoind with SETGENERATE=true and have your hashrate mine away. 

Newbies have no idea how to use setgenerate=true.

"SETGENERATE=true" is for CPU mining with the Bitcoin client.  It no longer does anything as the client no longer CPU mines.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:59:09 AM

is it just me - or is this concept sort of dumb  Huh

If you want to solo-mine = run a copy of bitcoind with SETGENERATE=true and have your hashrate mine away. 

Newbies have no idea how to use setgenerate=true.

"SETGENERATE=true" is for CPU mining with the Bitcoin client.  It no longer does anything as the client no longer CPU mines.

Also, they have to point their asics at the bitcoind. So they would have to use cgminer or bfgminer anyway.
AngusCanine (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

To weird to live To rare to die

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 02:30:31 AM

I read you can't solo mine with the antminer s1 which is why I looked into this solo pool stuff
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:01:48 AM

I read you can't solo mine with the antminer s1 which is why I looked into this solo pool stuff

I think solo pools are a great tool.

1.  They use the Stratum Protocol.

2.  They propagate blocks to the network faster than ones Bitcoin client would.

3.  They deal with virus signatures in the block chain so that you don't need to futz with your AV settings and risk opening your system to vulnerabilities.

4.  You don't need to download the block chain on your own system.  Which is real important if your using one of those Pi thingies.

But that being said, why can't you solo mine with an Antminer?

byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:59:25 PM

3.  They deal with virus signatures in the block chain so that you don't need to futz with your AV settings and risk opening your system to vulnerabilities.

4.  You don't need to download the block chain on your own system.  Which is real important if your using one of those Pi thingies.

Yeah? I thought you could set up a stratum proxy and point it at bitcoin-qt?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 06:01:49 PM

Yeah? I thought you could set up a stratum proxy and point it at bitcoin-qt?

Nope.  Bitcoin-Qt uses Getwork or GBT protocols, not Stratum.

AngusCanine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 06:53:08 PM

honestly I don't remember what i read anymore other than not been being able to solo mine the s1, but feel free to share any info or instructions on solo mining thru the wallet with ant miner s1
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:47:50 PM

honestly I don't remember what i read anymore other than not been being able to solo mine the s1, but feel free to share any info or instructions on solo mining thru the wallet with ant miner s1

Just put your Bitcoin-QT in server mode and point CGMiner at your localhost address TCP Port 8332.  There are instructions in the CGMiner readme.

AngusCanine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 10:10:05 PM

Just put your Bitcoin-QT in server mode and point CGMiner at your localhost address TCP Port 8332.  There are instructions in the CGMiner readme.
ok ill have a boo at it see what goes down
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:15:56 PM

Does the Antminer run from a PC or does it have CGMiner built in?

AngusCanine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 11:49:06 PM

built in
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:08:42 AM

built in

Oh, if it's an older version that doesn't support GBT for Solo Mining that may be why it was said it can't be done.  But give it a whirl and see.

dlowings

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:04:43 AM

how would you know if the bit coin server node was feeding the ants work fast enough ? All I get from cgminer is new block notifications from the network . There is ZERO way to tell if work is getting done or is stalled. even if I run the server in diagnostics mode, the output never really shows anything except new blocks being created on the network and when blocks are solved in the network …

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:01:50 PM

I am hashing at bitsolo right now.  The main reason I am using them instead of just straight solo mining is because I can't get my S1's to solo mine for shit.
I have BE Cubes that work fine but the S1's have proven to be very difficult. 

I had a question when I first connected to the pool and the operator sent me a reply via email.  I cannot vouch for him but obviously I am believing that if I find a block the coins will go to my wallet.

If anyone has any other info regarding the pool or operator I would be glad to hear from you.

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:43:33 AM

Came across this site was wanting to solo mine my s1 there if I can can ever get it running(long story)they claim to give the founder of a block the full 25 minus transaction fees for pool as well they are merged mining namecoin and keeping any name coin found for keeping pool up and running

If you are talking about the solo pool set up by Ozcoin, They are legit.

He's not, he's talking about this:
http://bitsolo.net/

Oh, i thought he meant solopool.net. This is why people need to be clear about what they are asking. We can't read minds.

Solo mining is really nothing more then using your machine as a lottery ticket unless you have a significant portion of the network hashrate.
AngusCanine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 02:07:14 AM

Came across this site was wanting to solo mine my s1 there if I can can ever get it running(long story)they claim to give the founder of a block the full 25 minus transaction fees for pool as well they are merged mining namecoin and keeping any name coin found for keeping pool up and running

Oh, i thought he meant solopool.net. This is why people need to be clear about what they are asking. We can't read minds.

Solo mining is really nothing more then using your machine as a lottery ticket unless you have a significant portion of the network hashrate.
what  r the odds?
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:06:45 AM

what  r the odds?

If you have a miner that has 3.1 TH/s of capacity then it will likely generate one block every 14 days. If that miner has less then 100% luck then the difficulty would increase, and further decreasing the average time between blocks, making it take longer, on average to find a block. These are not specific odds but should show why solo mining is not advisable.
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:15:10 AM

what  r the odds?

If you have a miner that has 3.1 TH/s of capacity then it will likely generate one block every 14 days. If that miner has less then 100% luck then the difficulty would increase, and further decreasing the average time between blocks, making it take longer, on average to find a block. These are not specific odds but should show why solo mining is not advisable.

I think to effectively solo mine you have to have enough hash power to be able to squeeze at least one or two blocks in between difficulty increases (10 days) otherwise you will just be chasing your tail as difficulty increases will just spin out the time you take to find a block faster than you can find them. (e.g. 14 days)

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 10:48:32 PM

what  r the odds?

I don't know where you got your numbers, but it will take you considerably longer than 14 days to solo-mine a block.  Math proves this:
Code:
Difficulty * 2**32 / hashrate / 86400 = number of days to find a block
11756551917 * 2**32 / 3100000000000 / 86400 = 188.52302119639003
Could you potentially find a block in 14 days?  Sure... you could also find a block after 10 years.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
TheJuice

Activity: 841
Merit: 608

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:54:43 PM

what  r the odds?

I've got a few %ages of my hashrate (80 gh) pointint to solomine. 22 years is the average time to find. This every week I have 1 in 1000 shot of making $12500. I'll take it.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: