Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:06:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 [575] 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666979 times)
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:44:59 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 08:09:01 AM by Its About Sharing

First, thanks for the weekly Monero updates. I am most excited by the new GUI.

Regarding the renaming of wallets to accounts, going against the grain here is probably going to do more harm than good. All of Bitcoins advertising (terms) is basically industry standard, not to mention Paypal using the term wallet as well. I strongly suggest against rebranding the term to account.

Unless you plan on spending more money and resouces getting the word out there about Monero accounts, than BTC wallets, you are waging a losing battle. Perhaps later, when Monero is well known, but doing it at this juncture is like putting both the cart before the horse and creating an uphill battle, at a minimum. TBH, I would prefer to put this rebranding, waaaay on the backburner.

Further, account does sound a bit centralized in that it sounds connected to an institution or company.

Please rethink this expenditure of energy that imo is going to come back and bite us.

Much respect to the devs however. I am just bringing up a concern.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 08:57:59 AM

First, thanks for the weekly Monero updates. I am most excited by the new GUI.

Regarding the renaming of wallets to accounts, going against the grain here is probably going to do more harm than good. All of Bitcoins advertising (terms) is basically industry standard, not to mention Paypal using the term wallet as well. I strongly suggest against rebranding the term to account.

Unless you plan on spending more money and resouces getting the word out there about Monero accounts, than BTC wallets, you are waging a losing battle. Perhaps later, when Monero is well known, but doing it at this juncture is like putting both the cart before the horse and creating an uphill battle, at a minimum. TBH, I would prefer to put this rebranding, waaaay on the backburner.

Further, account does sound a bit centralized in that it sounds connected to an institution or company.

Please rethink this expenditure of energy that imo is going to come back and bite us.

Much respect to the devs however. I am just bringing up a concern.

IAS

The problem is that waiting leads to entrenchment. We've seen it time and time again; this very forum is an example of something that was haphazardly done to fill a need, and now we're lumped with it. If we're going to make a change that is trivial (this requires no effort other than renaming some stuff) but has far-reaching effects, then it is imperative that we do it now.

PayPal only use PayPal Wallet to describe their mobile app that you can also use for in-store payments, and this parlance has been followed by MasterCard with their PayPass Wallet, and the terribly unsuccessful Square Wallet that they recently killed off. When you go on to PayPal's website and sign up they give you the option of creating an individual account or a business account, so the term is in use and familiar to people. Perhaps it'll make more sense if I show you a mockup of the second step in the first-start wizard (please ignore grammar/spelling faux pas) -

Remember that we're not trying to do what Bitcoin already does. We're untethered and unhinged, and merely following in Bitcoin's footsteps has done Litecoin and others no good. In a sense (and I'm not trying to make comparisons here) we are in a position to do what Apple did when they released the first iPhone. Did touchscreen phones exist? Absolutely. Did smartphones exist? Most assuredly. Were there phones with capable browsers? Definitely. So what did the iPhone do differently that made it successful? It built on an existing foundation others had created, but it pulled everything together in a way that made it accessible to everyone. Windows Mobile in 2007 was for nerds, Blackberry was for businessmen. The iPhone was for everyone. Let's not constrict and restrict ourselves by looking at what Bitcoin does:)

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:24:34 AM

I like the 'account' language.  I also appriciatenthe communication and work on the GUI.  Looking forward to trying it out later today.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 09:28:58 AM

I like the 'account' language.  I also appriciatenthe communication and work on the GUI.  Looking forward to trying it out later today.

I'm recompiling it statically as we speak, the builds I put up yesterday were dynamically compiled (so you'd only be able to run them if you have Qt installed in exactly the same place I do). Should have those up within the next couple of hours at most (you have to first recompile the whole of Qt statically before you can build static binaries, lol).

EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2067

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:32:20 AM

Yesterday I watched the Fireside Chat, patiently waiting user-friendly GUI. Account term is more reasonable. You know Andreas Antonopoulos also don't like wallet term because it's confusing, he sees Bitcoin Core is like key-chain with all the private keys on it. I support "account", non-crypto environment can understand it better.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 09:49:45 AM

Adding to that, I created #monero-ger for all persons capable of speaking german.
#monero-de would make more sense. Principle of least astonishment, ISO 639.

I also choosed the name after the ISO standard, to be exact: 639-2/B. When you look on the international floor , then you see they use exactly this standard: ENG, FRE, SPA, CHI and so one and so forth. Also most german chatrooms or subforums, etc, use -ger, when the plattform, they use, is used internationally
So I will change #monero-fr to monero-fra.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
g0re79

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

I´ve got a picture! Haha!

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 11:30:10 AM

Yesterday I watched the Fireside Chat, patiently waiting user-friendly GUI. Account term is more reasonable. You know Andreas Antonopoulos also don't like wallet term because it's confusing, he sees Bitcoin Core is like key-chain with all the private keys on it. I support "account", non-crypto environment can understand it better.
Right, wallet is pretty confusing for ordinary ppl, as they expect some physical form of it. On the other hand, account sounds more centralized.

Don´t deal with crappy shitcoins and stop wasting electricity
Support real science instead
[/url]
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 11:45:46 AM

What fluffy said, plus remember the MRO => XMR rebranding? Went even easier than we expected.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 12:00:59 PM

Right, wallet is pretty confusing for ordinary ppl, as they expect some physical form of it. On the other hand, account sounds more centralized.

That's an education thing that we'll have to battle through - getting people to understand that there's no central money control or anything. However, I think the conversation is going to be a lot easier.

"You just create a new account, which is completely secure and free, and you can create as many different accounts as you need for you, your wife, your business, whatever. And the great thing is that there's no government or company that controls your money, just like with Bitcoin, so you are in control of your money."

vs.

"You know how in Bitcoin you have a wallet, and in that wallet you have lots of addresses? Well it's like that, but your wallet only has one address. No no, it's not a physical wallet. No you can't keep your Starbucks loyalty card in it. Ah no, the iPhone app merely connects you to this decentralised network, but that's not the wallet, the wallet is a separate file that has your private key in it. No no, your private key is like a secret password that is in your wallet and that is used to generate your address. Now don't get frustrated with me, it's really quite simple, you generate a private key - I mean the client app generates a private key - and then that's stored in a wallet file that you can backup, and then your wallet has an address. You'll understand it in no time!"

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:17:12 PM

That's an education thing that we'll have to battle through - getting people to understand that there's no central money control or anything. However, I think the conversation is going to be a lot easier.

"You just create a new account, which is completely secure and free, and you can create as many different accounts as you need for you, your wife, your business, whatever. And the great thing is that there's no government or company that controls your money, just like with Bitcoin, so you are in control of your money."

vs.

"You know how in Bitcoin you have a wallet, and in that wallet you have lots of addresses? Well it's like that, but your wallet only has one address. No no, it's not a physical wallet. No you can't keep your Starbucks loyalty card in it. Ah no, the iPhone app merely connects you to this decentralised network, but that's not the wallet, the wallet is a separate file that has your private key in it. No no, your private key is like a secret password that is in your wallet and that is used to generate your address. Now don't get frustrated with me, it's really quite simple, you generate a private key - I mean the client app generates a private key - and then that's stored in a wallet file that you can backup, and then your wallet has an address. You'll understand it in no time!"

Comparing to bitcoin is only relevant in the very short term, when 100% of Monero users are coming from Bitcoin. Beyond that, the bigger picture is that 99% of the planet has no idea what a Bitcoin wallet is. Even if Monero remains well behind Bitcoin, if it is successful most new users will come from that 99%, with no particular reason to favor the Bitcoin terminology.
krawallmining

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:56:34 PM

Something wrong with their website?
https://coinmarketcap.com/
It lists Monero just with $ 280,382 market cap.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/monero/
works better, shows $ 4,2mil
Jshank

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

Has anyone suggest "Monero Cache" as wallet title?

Cache
noun
a hiding place, especially one in the ground, for ammunition, food, treasures, etc.:
She hid her jewelry in a little cache in the cellar.
anything so hidden:
The enemy never found our cache of food.
Alaska and Northern Canada. a small shed elevated on poles above the reach of animals and used for storing food, equipment, etc.
verb (used with object), cached, caching.
to put in a cache; conceal; hide.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:03:49 PM

Something wrong with their website?
https://coinmarketcap.com/
It lists Monero just with $ 280,382 market cap.

They are getting the number of coins from monerchain which was down until recently and is said to be still rebuilding their database. So hopefully this will fix itself soon.
9RAY

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:18:09 PM

Monero Missives

August 16th, 2014

Hello, and welcome to our eleventh Monero Missive!

Major Updates

1. We know everyone is quite keen to play around with the GUI. We are still doing a great deal of underlying work, but we wanted to get the interface out there for everyone to have a play and see how they like it. There are some bugs (for example, resizing the MiniWindow interface does not work), and there are some spelling errors that we'll fix as we pull everything out for Qt Linguist to handle translation. But if you're happy to play around then please grab a binary - we'll take feedback in the form of github issues as soon as we've finalised the initial release of the interface and have it up there. You can download the interface binary for Windows or Mac. We'll also push a Linux build out in the next day or two once it is confirmed as all working!

Could you tell me what QT version was used for this interface binary? Don't work with QT dlls version 5.3. Got "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:21:34 PM

"I want to recover my account from my 24 work seed" ?!

ibuyltc

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:40:39 PM

"I want to recover my account from my 24 work seed" ?!

If you find something misspelled the devs ask after they have a more formal version available to let them know via github that the wording should be changed or advise of spelling errors, etc.
superplus

Activity: 475
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:19:31 PM

Hi!

i didnt read all in here but some questions..
Does snycing always take so much Time? Anything considered to improve that in future?
Is the wallet Safe? Read posts where People Lost coins... Is it true? Otherwise are you all keeping the coins online?
Regards
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:22:40 PM

Does snycing always take so much Time? Anything considered to improve that in future?

It takes longer if you haven't used it for a while (if ever).

Yes it will probably be improved in the future.

Is the wallet Safe? Read post where People Lost coins??.. Is it true? Otherwise are you all keeping the coins online?
Regards

I'm not aware of anyone losing coins. There were some issues with people who didn't update their wallet using too low a transaction fee which made their transactions not confirm. They got their coins back by resyncing their wallet.

Make sure you you securely back up your wallet keys file.

superplus

Activity: 475
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:26:52 PM

It takes longer if you haven't used it for a while (if ever).

Yes it will probably be improved in the future.

Is the wallet Safe? Read post where People Lost coins??.. Is it true? Otherwise are you all keeping the coins online?
Regards

I'm not aware of anyone losing coins. There were some issues with people who didn't update their wallet using too low a transaction fee which made their transactions not confirm. They got their coins back by resyncing their wallet.

Make sure you you securely back up your wallet keys file.

Ok thanks.
But synctime is just related to the algorithm right? Or are there Other delay-factors?
No concrete Plans how That Could be Speed up right now, are there?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:30:41 PM

But synctime is just related to the algorithm right? Or are there Other delay-factors?

Not really, you have to also believe that the implementation is a good efficient implementation of the algorithm. It probably isn't.

No concrete Plans how That Could be Speed up right now, are there?

Our immediate plans are to continue code reviews and identify and correct problems with the implementation. There are many.

Pages: « 1 ... 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 [575] 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: