Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:29:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
sammy007
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:50:36 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2015, 12:01:22 PM by sammy007

Pool ops, please pull latest commits from my repo, previous fix was not robust. Now using very strict nonce validation pattern.

https://github.com/sammy007/node-cryptonote-pool/commits/master

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=678103.msg10859117#msg10859117

Also, I PMed several pool ops already and they updated their pools.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:57:09 AM

<snip>

- funding is direct and specific to tasks instead of going into a big black hole and hoping for the best

We expect this system will still take us another short while before we can put it live, but we're already crunching away at the functionality for it (and this also further emphasises why the forum couldn't just be SMF with a theme;) )

I was planning on donating a small amount (~50XMR) for the upcoming 1st birthday of Monero on April 18.  Do you think it would be better to wait for the system you described?  I have no problem putting money in the black hole and hoping for the best Cheesy but waiting to do so might give a little momentum to the new system.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:09:11 PM

I made a HUGE mistake! Was wondering if there is anyway I can recover from this.

Basically I have been mining XMR from time to time for the last 6 months. I used the dwarfpool only because it let me mine directly into my Bittrex address.

Today when configuring my miners, I see that it had backup pools, I never configured any of these pools just used dwarfpool. Out of curiosity today decided to log into those pools with my address and low and behold there are many coins there. But I never received those coins in my Bittrex account.

Is there anyway I can still recover these coins somehow? I now understand why my daily performance was always so low.

My address is basically

address.payoutID

Since I was mining into Bittrex I had to include the entire address but when I checked my stats they only went into my "address" address not the "payoutid" which is the payoutId address for bittrex

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:15:46 PM

I made a HUGE mistake! Was wondering if there is anyway I can recover from this.

Basically I have been mining XMR from time to time for the last 6 months. I used the dwarfpool only because it let me mine directly into my Bittrex address.

Today when configuring my miners, I see that it had backup pools, I never configured any of these pools just used dwarfpool. Out of curiosity today decided to log into those pools with my address and low and behold there are many coins there. But I never received those coins in my Bittrex account.

Is there anyway I can still recover these coins somehow? I now understand why my daily performance was always so low.

My address is basically

address.payoutID

Since I was mining into Bittrex I had to include the entire address but when I checked my stats they only went into my "address" address not the "payoutid" which is the payoutId address for bittrex

Not all pool support payment ID. You should pull your payout records from the pool(s) and then contact bittrex support with your issue but I can't guarantee they will be able to help you particular on old payments going back six months. But give it a shot.

sammy007
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:22:25 PM

My address is basically

address.payoutID

Not all pool support payment ID. You should pull your payout records from the pool(s) and then contact bittrex support with your issue but I can't guarantee they will be able to help you particular on old payments going back six months. But give it a shot.

And now everyone can contact bittrex and impersonate, because all exchange wallets are public.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:36:14 PM

My address is basically

address.payoutID

And now everyone can contact bittrex and impersonate, because all exchange wallets are public.

Well the pool operator could do that (and could have done it all along). How would anyone else know which payments are his or even which payments are going to the exchange?
sammy007
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:38:56 PM

Well the pool operator could do that (and could have done it all along). How would anyone else know which payments are his or even which payments are going to the exchange?

Take exchange address, input it in field on pool and you will see all stats & payouts.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:40:17 PM

Take exchange address, input it in field on pool and you will see all stats & payouts.

Ah good point. In fact, he can't even identify his own payments since anyone else doing the same thing will be mixed in there with him. Bummer.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 12:46:02 PM

- the core team's escrow role can eventually be replaced by a multi-sig system (2-of-3) where the signatories are the core team, the oversight group, and the recipient, so the recipient can't spend those raised funds without the involvement of one of the other 2 signatories

I would prefer 3-of-4, for the reason below (this is an early peek at my future "What is multisignature" editorial).
+-----------+----------------+---------------+-------------+--------------+
|   M-of-N  | Compromission  |  Collusion    | Redundancy  | # of persons |
| 1-of-1    |               |              |            |      1       |
|   2FA     |               |              |            |      1       |
| 2-of-2    |               |              |            |      2       |
| 3-of-3    |               |              |            |      3       |
| 2-of-3    |               |              |            |      3       |
| 3-of-4    |               |              |            |      4       |

• Compromission: technical failure, exploit
  • Collusion: conspiracy
  • Redundancy: error correction

Edit: a green check mark doesn't mean "immune". It means "mitigates". It is still possible to collude or to not have enough redundancy with 3 persons, but starting from the values above, the difference is quantitative, not qualitative.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
buy4crypto

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

freecrypto.top

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 01:08:00 PM

Monero strong like bull

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████ - freecrypto.top - btcinfo.top - DIGITAL CURRENCY DIRECTORIES - freeMonero.comfunbtc.xyz  ████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 01:10:20 PM

Monero strong like bull

Well, the moon is currently in the sign of Taurus until 9:22am EST tomorrow :p
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:16:24 PM

Cool (future) blockchain explorer. Looks like coin and asset explorers will be integrated.
https://merkle.io
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 01:23:45 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2015, 01:43:09 PM by vokain

What determines the per-KB transaction fee?

The size of the transaction once it is encoded? I maybe didn't understand the question?

No, the size of the transaction is variable mostly upon the mixin count as far as I understand it, but what determines the fee implemented to check blockchain "spam"?

Oh there is a hard coded minimum of 0.01 currently, which is the recommended fee for <= 1 KB. Nothing lower than that will be forwarded. Eventually we would like to move to something more like Bitcoin 0.10's dynamic fees.

Miners can fill blocks with their own spam however they want but their reward will be reduced if the block size exceeds the median of the last N (I think 720) blocks. It would be pretty stupid to do this though since it will slow propagation and result in more orphaned blocks, even more so than with Bitcoin.

Thank you. I had a look at 0.10's release notes and find them favorable. So FWIR, given that we have no blocksize limit, and presumably as XMR prices go up and disk space costs go down, we can then assume that the cost to spam the network dollar-wise goes up too, and statistics would be taken to reflect this and tend towards lower and lower transaction fees?

Edit: I don't quite understand how or why miners would fill their own blocks. They would be paying their own, now not guaranteed to be found, award. Smooth, could you please explain more what you meant by your second paragraph?

Edit2: oh is that rule in place sort of as to reward optimal and regular block sizing accepted by miners?

Edit3: and the check against too slow verifications given when tx volume increases is that the block size miners want to verify begins to only steadily increase?
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:16:29 PM

Looks to me, like (there is a strong chance) the Darkcoin community is going repeat the same errors the Litecoin community did.

More and more regular, vocal posters in their community, show this well known "LTC attitude (& behavior)".
(arrogance, sense of superiority, clearly not technically-versed people are opinion-forming & dominating discusssions/the community, losing touch with reality, very self-centric, (trying) to disallow any neutral & critical opinions, questions & discusssions, anyone not 100% hyping DRK will be stigmatized and ridiculed as troll, fudder, shill, etc.)

This is a new development. Like in the last 3 months. Could get pretty dangerous for them (see Litecoins history).

Why does it matter? Because this observation should be an indication of importance & motivation for us, to further develop and actively maintain our healthy community.

Moneros community must always stay:

open, friendly, objective & open-minded, fact-based, respecting everyone, esp. non community-members, democratic, fair & not greedy, transparent, (strictly) skill-based task & job assigments, intelligence driven (always searching for & acknowledging the best solution, even if this best solution is not XMR compatible), ...

The Monero Project is so strong and well positioned. We can talk openly & objectivly about our (coins) weaknesses.
We don't have to lie, create our "own golden reality" or prohibit open discussions.

With objective discussing & reflecting about XMRs weaknesses. We will find better solutions & improve, we stay focussed (and won't create an hyping circle-jerk scene) and we will gain alot of respect, from all in crypto currencies interested parties (others projects, experts, newbies, press, professionals, ...).

Because, no one likes the LTC attitude.

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 02:20:28 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2015, 02:31:05 PM by vokain

Looks to me, like (there is a strong chance) the Darkcoin community is going repeat the same errors the Litecoin community did.

More and more regular, vocal posters in their community, show this well known "LTC attitude (& behavior)".
(arrogance, sense of superiority, clearly not technically-versed people are opinion-forming & dominating discusssions/the community, losing touch with reality, very self-centric, (trying) to disallow any neutral & critical opinions, questions & discusssions, anyone not 100% hyping DRK will be stigmatized and ridiculed as troll, fudder, shill, etc.)

This is a new development. Like in the last 3 months. Could get pretty dangerous for them (see Litecoins history).

Why does it matter? Because this observation should be an indication of importance & motivation for us, to further develop and actively maintain our healthy community.

open, friendly, objective & open-minded, fact-based, respecting to everyone, esp. non community-members, democratic, fair, transparent, (strictly) skill-based task & job assigments, intelligence driven (always searching for & acknowledging the best solution, even if this best solution is not XMR compatible)

The Monero Project is so strong and well positioned. We can talk openly & objectivly about our (coins) weaknesses.
We don't have to lie, create our "own golden reality" or prohibit open discussions.

With objective discussing & reflecting about XMRs weaknesses. We will find better solutions & improve, we stay focussed (and won't create an hyping circle-jerk scene) and we will gain alot of respect, from all in crypto currencies interested parties (others projects, experts, newbies, press, professionals, ...).

I see some evidence of it in this camp too esp. on Reddit and encounters with other camps on controversial topics when mostly objective logos type of arguments should be employed. A condescending demeanor is ugly and hurts this collective's ethos appeal.

Not to single anyone out but... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=978447.msg10717653#msg10717653
I expect much better than this :p
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 02:50:43 PM

Litecoin wasn't a pyramid scheme, so core dev coblee was never in danger of going to jail.

Darkcoin OTOH meets Arizona's definition of one, so I wouldn't want to be in Duffman's shoes when the DA sends him a love letter delivered by a burly man wearing blue.

To quote Satoshi, "The networks need to have separate fates."   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 03:04:49 PM

open, friendly, objective & open-minded, fact-based, respecting to everyone, esp. non community-members, democratic, fair, transparent, (strictly) skill-based task & job assigments, intelligence driven (always searching for & acknowledging the best solution, even if this best solution is not XMR compatible)

I see some evidence of it in this camp too esp. on Reddit and encounters with other camps on controversial topics when mostly objective logos type of arguments should be employed. A condescending demeanor is ugly and hurts this collective's ethos appeal.

Not to single anyone out but... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=978447.msg10717653#msg10717653
I expect much better than this :p

Although I was never around LTC much, my god the DRK attitude. Wow.

I agree with both of you guys. Let's do better. Let's be better.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 03:05:05 PM

you guys are always pointing out how the project is basically unfunded and you do great work under those conditions no doubt. but i just want to do what i can to help with this situation for 2 reasons, for the good of monero, but also because you guys should be compensated for the work you do. and the thing is, i just dont think that panhandling is ever going to get you the sort of consistent and appropriate compensation you should be getting, and monero should be getting.

We've been working on adding some needed functionality to the forum, and our next major task we're going to tackle is the funding system. The idea is:

1. Users / developers / anyone will pitch an idea in the Ideas section of the forum. This is already happening.

2. After some discussion it will be moved by one of the administrators (currently the Core Team only, but that would change in future) to the Open Tasks section of the forum. No tasks have been moved as yet.

3. Developers (including the core team, and initially probably only the core team for simplicity) will pitch against each of these open tasks. Later on I would expect that there would be more people / teams pitching against tasks, and the most competent / available / reasonably priced will be the one the community will veer towards.

4. Once the developer / team has been selected to complete the task it moves to the Funding Required section of the forum, and it is opened for funding.

5. Funding will be to a core team controlled address with a payment ID for that particular project/task, and there will be a funding progress bar. This information will be mirrored over to a funding page on the website that shows the funding progress per project/task.

6. When funding reaches 70% (for smaller tasks) or 30% (for larger and longer tasks) it goes into the Work in Progress section and work begins.

7. Funds are dispensed by the core team on a regular basis and only if there is actual progress / commits / whatever, so it doesn't go into a black hole.

Advantages of this approach:

- the core team's oversight role can eventually be replaced by a group selected from the community at large, so as not to have a stranglehold over things

- the core team's escrow role can eventually be replaced by a multi-sig system (2-of-3) where the signatories are the core team, the oversight group, and the recipient, so the recipient can't spend those raised funds without the involvement of one of the other 2 signatories

- this isn't limited to dev tasks, and things like "fly David Latapie to speak at a conference" or lobbying or PR or advertising can all have tasks created and funded

- funding is direct and specific to tasks instead of going into a big black hole and hoping for the best

We expect this system will still take us another short while before we can put it live, but we're already crunching away at the functionality for it (and this also further emphasises why the forum couldn't just be SMF with a theme;) )

That sounds awesome. Mr pony already on top of things like usual.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 03:11:27 PM

i just cant see DRK as competition (and i really mean this honest and in a non-trolling way).

waiting until the bigger drk-whales are bored and have milked their cow is IMHO all thats needed.
i just feel bad for the bad for the smaller holders.

I intensely hate adding to the dark cloud in this bright thread.  It is off-topic and a minefield, a recurring fount of vomitus.  Yet sometimes there is a thing that needs to be said, in context. We make trade-offs.

Having burned his name, Evan has little choice but to make a career of it.  He is unlikely to tire of promoting and advancing his cause.  He has demonstrated remarkable genius - questionable perhaps on other grounds, but quite shrewd nonetheless - with the multi-level marketing impact of masternodes.  Yes, he has also demonstrated ineptitude in managing image, in concealment, but brazenness has yet to prove itself an impediment.  It is likely that he can perpetuate this program for a remarkably long time.

Bringing this back to Monero, we are likely to be held to comparison with drk for a long while.  I hope it can be endured with congeniality and equanimity.  I agree that continued diligence in managing our own house will bring success to this project and community, and that does not require the decline of any "competitor".

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 04:02:26 PM

Having burned his name, Evan has little choice but to make a career of it.  He is unlikely to tire of promoting and advancing his cause.  He has demonstrated remarkable genius - questionable perhaps on other grounds, but quite shrewd nonetheless - with the multi-level marketing impact of masternodes.  Yes, he has also demonstrated ineptitude in managing image, in concealment, but brazenness has yet to prove itself an impediment.  It is likely that he can perpetuate this program for a remarkably long time.

Bringing this back to Monero, we are likely to be held to comparison with drk for a long while.  I hope it can be endured with congeniality and equanimity.  I agree that continued diligence in managing our own house will bring success to this project and community, and that does not require the decline of any "competitor".

I am more optimistic.  It only takes one whistleblower or unhappy victim of Evan and Edward's HYIP scheme to bring down the wrath of State and National authorities.

In which case, they cannot "perpetuate this program for a remarkably long time" and Monero will not "be held to comparison with drk for a long while."

Just letting them know we know 'where the bodies are buried' may be sufficient to convince them to pull a Friedcat (IE take the money and run) and get out of XMR's hair.

IMO, by publishing that Masternode ROI table they well-and-truly screwed the pooch royally.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: