Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:54:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:29:23 PM

summary of the missive? I don't want to listen to some people drone on and on unprofessionally about some mundane esoteric mess

I need a succinct outline. don't like surprises.

For 10 monero I will provide you with a summary.

41nAXFnYwhyDgWt2KAy1XFeZyDUWktkhGDA774NyY9qc1jg4MPH33oLD4tBMnQwVmMcktaUFMcKdJTW dkqRyrVXHNh88QUa

ok sent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:30:29 PM

the missive in audio is ok
but who dont talk english?Huh
you can make a summary???

The first thing said in the missive is actually asking the community to contribute by writing down what is said in the missive. So I'm sure you'll be soon able to read a version of it.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 02:34:13 PM

I saw that, is that really it? I needed to confirm that the price is going up over this ?

Everyone has their own view-key of "inconsequential stuff," but the price is Risto's endeavor, not a reaction to any great breakthrough in the DB or a shiny new GUI or any other major announcement. But I thought you knew that, so I'm confused as to why you are confused. But maybe you'll be confused why I'm confused to as why you're confused and we'll create a really confused rip in space-time--which would be pretty kick ass if you ask me.

David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 02:42:30 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2015, 02:54:37 PM by David Latapie

summary of the missive? I don't want to listen to some people drone on and on unprofessionally about some mundane esoteric mess

Volunteers needed to create subtitles and summary. Effort go here: https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-announcements/161/monday-monero-missives-23-february-23rd-2015 (let's make this "moving away from bitcointalk" a reality)

Bitcointalk is not a good environment if we want serious discussion about Monero. That much should be obvious. At some point we have to start cutting the apron strings and disconnecting from Bitcoin, especially since we share few common goals and no common code. It would be unfair of us to force newcomers interested in Monero to dig through thousands of scamcoin, shill, and troll posts on bitcointalk to find the occasional gem of information.

Additionally, you cannot possibly convince me that people needing help in running and using Monero should all gather in a single thread on a Bitcoin forum?? Nah, we've done our time here, there's no value in maintaining all the Monero threads on Bitcointalk. Anyone here who needs to know about Monero already does know about Monero;)

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:49:49 PM

I saw that, is that really it? I needed to confirm that the price is going up over this ?

Everyone has their own view-key of "inconsequential stuff," but the price is Risto's endeavor, not a reaction to any great breakthrough in the DB or a shiny new GUI or any other major announcement. But I thought you knew that, so I'm confused as to why you are confused. But maybe you'll be confused why I'm confused to as why you're confused and we'll create a really confused rip in space-time--which would be pretty kick ass if you ask me.

Not DB related and Not GUI related? Then no rational price rise.

my conclusion exactly.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 02:52:39 PM

Wallet             Official       Graphical                       Binaries                   Notes
                                                Windows       Mac       Linux    FreeBSD
simplewallet                                   (d/l)     (d/l)     (d/l)     (d/l)    source
Monero Client .NET                             (d/l)                                  full node or remote node
Qt GUI                                                                                source. Full node only
lightWallet                                   (d/l)                                  source. Full node or remote node. Torrent with binaries + blockchain
mymonero.com                                                                          author is a core dev
CryptoNoteWallet                                                            

Great overview! Should go on the monero.cc website, I guess? Some small corrections:

• if not open-source, I would maybe indicate "closed source", as this is a critical thing in crypto currencies (Monero Client .NET and mymonero.com as well, strictly speaking)
  • mymonero.com should maybe have dashes for all "binary" flags
  • an API/RPC column would be really helpful (only simplewallet, I think?)
  • BitKoot's CryptoNoteWallet is graphical
  • What makes BitKoot's CryptoNoteWallet "official"?

A bug on the forum prevents me to add it, I already created a bug report

For closed-source, I will add a column (this is only for mymonero so far and I will add a mention that it will ultimately be open-sourced). I won't do it with the present BBCode, because this is horrible to edit, Markdown is much better (essentially because you can insert HTML in Markdown)

API/RPC column: it would require more than a yes/no, right? Because not every software would accept any API/RPC

Similarly, I will add an OpenAlias column

Since this is a lot of colum, I will pivot the table, with one column per wallet (instead of one row, presently)

I will correct for cryptonote - mere oversight, when copying/pasting, thanks

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:54:14 PM

I think forum.monero.cc just went down...  Huh

On other news: this thread is exploding! Smiley
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:54:58 PM

I think forum.monero.cc just went down...  Huh

Nevermind, it's back.
uvt9

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:56:01 PM

same here, i personally doesn't like audio missive. I'm not good at listening English, i had to come here in seeking for a detailed text.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:57:24 PM

my conclusion exactly.

I disagree. And I believe to be rational too... Smiley
There was no official news about development for a long time. There was demand for a better website since now almost a year.
Now we get news, we have a nice website that seems very useful and community-oriented, we can see THIS and know great things are on track. It's very conforting to see the intact motivation going into core development.
Risto's transparent announcement may have its influence on the price but I don't think the last missive should be underestimated.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 02:57:53 PM

my conclusion exactly.

There was never a rationale drop either, so who cares? BCX makes an empty threat and the price tanks--meanwhile the fundamentals get better: db testing, mymonero, xmr.to, new forum(s)..... Turn about is fair play. If it goes back to pre-timewarp, I'm satisfied in the re-evaluation, and if it goes higher, I'll consider it a factoring-in of the improvements, usability and a nice bonus to liquidity.  Cheesy

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:58:48 PM

same here, i personally doesn't like audio missive. I'm not good at listening English, i had to come here in seeking for a detailed text.

I am a native english speaker, but I just don't like podcasts...thankfully we have some good samaritan monero transcriber people here Smiley
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:59:43 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2015, 08:34:52 PM by cAPSLOCK

41nAXFnYwhyDgWt2KAy1XFeZyDUWktkhGDA774NyY9qc1jg4MPH33oLD4tBMnQwVmMcktaUFMcKdJTW dkqRyrVXHNh88QUa

--  There is a new website: http://www.getmonero.org
     This features updated design
     There are sections for missives, a blog, the forum, and a work in progress knowledgebase
     There is a new design and research goals plan with a graphical map:  http://getmonero.org/design-goals/
     The website is open and stored in the git repository and the devs are welcoming community contribution

-- There is a new research paper at  http://lab.monero.cc
     MRL4 - http://lab.monero.cc/pubs/MRL-0004.pdf
     The idea is they are researching anonymity vs mixin levels and how this can be improved.  This is a furtherization of MRL 001
     They talked about unlinkability (dual key stealth addressing) and untraceability (ring sigs) ... two different things.
     They talked about disallowing a 0 mixin transaction except under special circumstances and dust removal in relation to this problem.  This could involve a hard fork where mixin 0 or 1 transaction would not be allowed into the blockchain.

--  Age based associations (temporal associations):  There is also new understanding that it is possible to determine the age of coins moved in some circumstances.  The info is based on the way inputs are chosen.   This problem is less important than the MRL 004 problem, and very simple.  The risk is basically Panic when early coins are detected as being moved.

--  Towards the end of the talk they highlight the design and development goals I mention above ^^^  http://getmonero.org/design-goals/

-- They discuss how important it is to have libraries finished for 3rd party implementations for things like iOs/Android etc so not only can the wallet be coded well, but others can develop apps etc via these tools.

-- They defend the slow development pace (<-that is semi editorial) by saying they are still carefully laying groundwork for an enterprise grade product as opposed to trying to just make things like wallets. For example the library development as opposed to a WALLET NOW.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:00:28 PM

ok sent.

Thanks.  Your research is posted directly above ^^^
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:07:49 PM

The monero road map is a nice addition.

my conclusion exactly.

I disagree. And I believe to be rational too... Smiley
There was no official news about development for a long time. There was demand for a better website since now almost a year.
Now we get news, we have a nice website that seems very useful and community-oriented, we can see THIS and know great things are on track. It's very conforting to see the intact motivation going into core development.
Risto's transparent announcement may have its influence on the price but I don't think the last missive should be underestimated.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:08:28 PM

I am a native english speaker, but I just don't like podcasts...thankfully we have some good samaritan monero transcriber people here Smiley

As well as mercenaries. Wink lol.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:09:41 PM

Also, for what it's worth, the audio missive is fairly non-rambley and succinct.

I actually enjoy the format.
arogatos

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:13:14 PM

just bought my first few hundert XMR! i wish for this developement to continue  Grin
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 03:25:41 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2015, 03:36:45 PM by GingerAle

If y'all are up in arms about the 22 minute version, you woulda loved the 45 minute take it came from!

and my response to the "all the hooey over non development stuff" - it woulda been a 2 hour podcast if fluffy tried to explain everything thats happened. In our first take last week (that was ultimately bagged because we were using push to talk and not using headphones so it squeeled everytime I tried to say "hey what the hell are you talking about" so the chemistry was as flat as a 3 day can of soda), we talked about stuff that wasn't talked about in this take. I specifically remember database stuff.

And its going to happen again - "tune in next week" kinda thing here.

And thanks for the cliffsnotes / summaries. I'll include them in the digest.

Gotta work on that tonight.

and yeah, jwinterm, I'm not an avid podcast listener myself (i tried it for a while, I think it was the content - full of too many negative know-it-alls, but then again I was listening to science podcasts), but I agree with fluffypony that this missive mechanism is more efficient. I mean, do we really want people that can actually review code spending their time making pretty missive documents?

I don't. Which is why I stepped up with the digests. And that evolved to podcasts.

Eventually, something I think we will implement for these podcats (and im gonna call em podcats, because its the best kind of cat, and my fingers just want to type that so yeah) is a "hey what do you want ginger pony to talk about" voting thread (even though I haven't presented this idea to The Fluff). But for now, there is a lot of stuff that is on the docket.

okay, back to work, that pays me dollars, so I can buy moneroj.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 03:42:42 PM

If y'all are up in arms about the 22 minute version, you woulda loved the 45 minute take it came from!

and my response to the "all the hooey over non development stuff" - it woulda been a 2 hour podcast if fluffy tried to explain everything thats happened. In our first take last week (that was ultimately bagged because we were using push to talk and not using headphones so it squeeled everytime I tried to say "hey what the hell are you talking about" so the chemistry was as flat as a 3 day can of soda), we talked about stuff that wasn't talked about in this take. I specifically remember database stuff.

And its going to happen again - "tune in next week" kinda thing here.

And thanks for the cliffsnotes / summaries. I'll include them in the digest.

Gotta work on that tonight.

and yeah, jwinterm, I'm not an avid podcast listener myself (i tried it for a while, I think it was the content - full of too many negative know-it-alls, but then again I was listening to science podcasts), but I agree with fluffypony that this missive mechanism is more efficient. I mean, do we really want people that can actually review code spending their time making pretty missive documents?

I don't. Which is why I stepped up with the digests. And that evolved to podcasts.

Eventually, something I think we will implement for these podcats (and im gonna call em podcats, because its the best kind of cat, and my fingers just want to type that so yeah) is a "hey what do you want ginger pony to talk about" voting thread (even though I haven't presented this idea to The Fluff). But for now, there is a lot of stuff that is on the docket.

okay, back to real work, that pays me dollars, so I can buy moneroj.

Please keep up with the monero podcast. Its great for many reasons. More friendly, more interesting, more things being addressed. I understand that some people will prefer it written. But that is easy, i am sure someone will be able to write a few lines summary each time. Then if someone is interested after reading the summary he can always listen to the podcast. This way we have both a nice podcast and a nice summary.

To the community:

Lets tweet about the new missive, the new official website and those nice infographics! If you are bored writing your own just tweet those i wrote:

https://twitter.com/NukeFHarris/status/569843493134311424

https://twitter.com/NukeFHarris/status/569844251686772736

https://twitter.com/NukeFHarris/status/569848046537863168

Maybe you want to add some other hashtags or something...
Pages: « 1 ... 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: