Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:11:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 ... 2122 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666941 times)
uvt9

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 03:17:47 PM

A little question about memory footprint on 0.8.8.6. Is it okay? Or should I move my wallet to linux machine?

http://www.picshare.ru/uploads/150224/1v6Ts6X98F.jpg

Currently bitmonerod loads whole blockchain into RAM. Next stable version will have database-style blockchain to solve this problem, yet we don't know when.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 03:42:27 PM

Yes, that looks normal. Classic monero has a big memory footprint (the whole blockchain is in the memory!). There is development to move the blockchain into a database file, which is being heavily tested and developed right now. Indeed, the last leg of the database development is to make it work with windows.

In general though, yes, you should move it to linux due to security concerns, but that won't solve the memory problem AFAIK.

And if you move to linux, you can run the current beta of the database build, if you're adventurous and want to compile things.  
Thanks for the answer )) Getting started with compilation and testing on linux certainly takes time, the main concern is "am I having it". However, if someone could suggest a good distro including all required tools while remaining lightweight - that would be appreciated

I personally like Lubuntu, seems to run my bitmonero LMDB fine.

here I posted noob approved instructions for LMDB build. (warning - this is beta! use at your own risk. I've been using for months)
https://forum.monero.cc/5/support/142/useful-links-including-blockchain-downloads

alternative is mymonero.com , if you want the easiest wallet solution.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 05:21:06 PM

After being gone since last summer (one of the first miners I believe), I recently ran across this thread again and looked into it a little more. I am quite excited to see what kinds of developments you are planning, specifically regarding the MoneroAssets and MoneroTrade "next level research" items.

How many devs are working on this project currently, and are they fulltime? What is the slated release date for some of these new features that are being worked on? I was recently heavily supporting Syscoin, but due to a number of missed deadlines and lack of marketing, I'm taking a step back from them for the time being. Monero seems to have many of the things on the roadmap that caused me to join Syscoin in the first place, so I am thinking that this active community and dev environment may be a better place to put my energy.

None of us are full time, there's nowhere close to enough funding for that to happen just yet:)

In terms of slated release, we still have to first figure out how we're going to do coinbase-less sidechains, two-way pegging, and functionality advertising, before we can even begin to go down the rest of the roadmap. If I had to guess I'd hazard that something like MoneroID is at least a year away, maybe two, and something like MoneroTrade will be a year after that. There's a lot of commonality between those sidechains / daughter-chains, so I would imagine that once we have the whitepapers out with formal cryptographic proofs for all the functionality required (and have done one or two implementations) the rest will be much faster. So the research side of the roadmap is probably 3-4 years worth, including implementation.

Of course, we could do it much faster, but all we'd be pushing out the gate is something half-baked, exploitable, and dangerous. And this isn't us being perfectionists, we simply can't afford to gamble with amateur cryptography and ill-conceived architecture because we're playing with people's money and their livelihood. But trust me, when we get there we're going to have some pretty amazing stuff:)

Are there any items on the TODO list that need help? I'm a web developer and I'd be happy to help out if I could further a real crypto project in any way.

The bulk of the content outstanding on the website (eg. the About Monero page, user guides, dev guides, and so on) is open to being tackled. If you'd like to contribute then you can fork the repository: https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site and submit changes via Pull Request. It's worth reading the Pages, Formats, and Rules section of the README for the project, and it's definitely a good idea to look through some of the existing static pages to get a feel for how things are done.

Edit: forgot to add that there is one critical outstanding item right now: https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/issues/5

jailee

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 05:34:15 PM

I just recently decided to jump on the Monero train. I went to the website and registered for the forums. Registration was successful but when I try to log in I recieve an error message that says "oops, your acct is not active"....what does that mean? And also I downloaded the wallet and decided to run a node. Im not sure though if Im doing it right. Is your wallet supposed to look like just command lines? It is so much different than say Megacoin or Vericoin wallet. My nodes still say they are syncing at 308 days behind, all in yellow.
 What sucks is you cannot highlight and copy/paste your wallet address from the command prompts in the wallet. Is this really the wallet or the command box that runs my wallet and I dont have it correct? Also I put in the command to start mining. Is this still feasable or am i wasting my time? It says "mining started with one threads, good luck!" and below that it says " miner thread started
  • "....
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 05:34:59 PM

Hi guys. I need a logo for Crypto Kingdom the game, and it should also symbolize CKG, the gold asset central in the game. ~0.5 BTC bounty is possible, or more if it's slick and professional.

Monero guys, help me. I cannot even define what constitutes a "logo" really.  Embarrassed

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 05:38:32 PM

So I listened to the podcast and they mentioned that in the future minimum mixin will be changed to 4.
Was just wondering if there is going to be a even higher mixin option available by then?
So you can choose what mixin you want. I was thinking in the future the option might be 4, 5 or 6.

jailee

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 05:41:56 PM

I just recently decided to jump on the Monero train. I went to the website and registered for the forums. Registration was successful but when I try to log in I recieve an error message that says "oops, your acct is not active"....what does that mean? And also I downloaded the wallet and decided to run a node. Im not sure though if Im doing it right. Is your wallet supposed to look like just command lines? It is so much different than say Megacoin or Vericoin wallet. My nodes still say they are syncing at 308 days behind, all in yellow.
 What sucks is you cannot highlight and copy/paste your wallet address from the command prompts in the wallet. Is this really the wallet or the command box that runs my wallet and I dont have it correct? Also I put in the command to start mining. Is this still feasable or am i wasting my time? It says "mining started with one threads, good luck!" and below that it says " miner thread started
  • "....

OK I got the forums taken care of...didnt know I had to wait for an email confirmation. But the rest I still dont know...
othe

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 05:47:27 PM

• "....

OK I got the forums taken care of...didnt know I had to wait for an email confirmation. But the rest I still dont know...

Are you talking about simplewallet or bitmonerod?
Of course you can copy/paste the address in simplewallet, if you use windows you have to enable it in the cmd window settings.

Why don't you just use one of the GUIs or mymonero.com Smiley?

jailee

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 06:01:37 PM

• "....

Of course you can copy/paste the address in simplewallet, if you use windows you have to enable it in the cmd window settings.

I was quick to react and downloaded the simplewallet, but I also want to run a node. I guess I can just use mymonero.com and not worry about it. I have created an acct there just now. Where do I download the GUI and is it worth trying to mine from your laptop?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:05:34 PM

• "....

I was quick to react and downloaded the simplewallet, but I also want to run a node. I guess I can just use mymonero.com and not worry about it. I have created an acct there just now. Where do I download the GUI and is it worth trying to mine from your laptop?

You can try lightWallet if you want a GUI and a full node. There is a convenient torrent with pre-synced blockchain here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg10559092#msg10559092

You will need a minimum of 4 GB of RAM and 6-8 GB is better. If you don't have that you can't run a node yet, but the upcoming DB version will fix that.

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 06:08:01 PM

So I listened to the podcast and they mentioned that in the future minimum mixin will be changed to 4.
Was just wondering if there is going to be a even higher mixin option available by then?
So you can choose what mixin you want. I was thinking in the future the option might be 4, 5 or 6.

AFAIK, higher mixins are available now! I've never tried anything over 3, but I remember seeing someone say they used like 99 or something crazy. Your fees will be outta this world though.

This minimum is being set in the future, thats all.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:10:23 PM

If you want to run a node you should download the blockchain from the OP. It will not be synced up to today but it will be much faster. The GUI list is also on the OP.

As for mining it depends on your objective. You must be really lucky to strike a block (it really depends on your hashrate but i'm assuming it isn't much high), so it's not profitable. OTOH you'll be contributing for monero's network decentralized security.

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 06:12:10 PM

If you want to run a node you should download the blockchain from the OP. It will not be synced up to today but it will be much faster. The GUI list is also on the OP.

As for mining it depends on your objective. You must be really lucky to strike a block (it really depends on your hashrate but i'm assuming it isn't much high), so it's not profitable. OTOH you'll be contributing for monero's network decentralized security.

Also, Jailee, if you're truly new to this, "OP" means original post, which you can get to by clicking on the "1" on the far left of the post page list. When I first started in bitcointalk, I had no idea that this is how forums were utilized. The OP sort of becomes the repository for the rest of the thread.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:14:44 PM

Every block is found by someone, but yes you need to be lucky.

Pool mining is an option, but probably a worse option for a small miner who will then get tiny payouts from the pool. Considering the effect of transaction fees it may be better to be patient, support the network, and hope for a bit of luck.

On average, with sufficient patience and average luck, it will be profitable if your CPU is efficient and your electricity rates are low.
jailee

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 06:25:04 PM

Also, Jailee, if you're truly new to this, "OP" means original post, which you can get to by clicking on the "1" on the far left of the post page list. When I first started in bitcointalk, I had no idea that this is how forums were utilized. The OP sort of becomes the repository for the rest of the thread.

Thank you Gingerale,
 I am pretty new to this in as far as doing anything with anything with cryptocurrency other than Bitcoin. I was there when bitcoin made its debute and missed out because I was ignorant to the whole scene. Since 2013 though I have been active in the community as far as buying and spending and market analysis and such. As far as profit and investment though, this is my first venture. I am trying to make smart decisions and I believe Monero is one of those smart decisions. Thank you for all your help.
 If I run bitmonered.exe am I running a node when it syncs? I want to help support this community any way I can and that, for now, seems the best support I can offer.
papa_lazzarou

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:30:07 PM

Pool mining is an option, but probably a worse option for a small miner who will then get tiny payouts from the pool. Considering the effect of transaction fees it may be better to be patient, support the network, and hope for a bit of luck.

On average, with sufficient patience and average luck, it will be profitable if your CPU is efficient and your electricity rates are low.

I was just trying to point out that he will probably not get short term results. Assuming he has 250H/s it would take him 45 days on average to find a block, or is my math wrong?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:33:51 PM

I was just trying to point out that he will probably not get short term results. Assuming he has 250H/s it would take him 45 days on average to find a block, or is my math wrong?

No, your math is probably right, and 250 H/s is probably high for a laptop. Maybe a better word than mining (which suggest perhaps a steady stream of useful minerals) to describe the process is prospecting or wildcatting.

papa_lazzarou

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:34:24 PM

Thank you Gingerale,
 I am pretty new to this in as far as doing anything with anything with cryptocurrency other than Bitcoin. I was there when bitcoin made its debute and missed out because I was ignorant to the whole scene. Since 2013 though I have been active in the community as far as buying and spending and market analysis and such. As far as profit and investment though, this is my first venture. I am trying to make smart decisions and I believe Monero is one of those smart decisions. Thank you for all your help.
 If I run bitmonered.exe am I running a node when it syncs? I want to help support this community any way I can and that, for now, seems the best support I can offer.

Just running bitmonerod will make you a node in that you'll be keeping a copy of the blockchain and will help propagate new blocks to other nodes. However, only if you mine with your node will you be helping secure the network against the dangers of centralized hashrate.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 06:36:25 PM

Yes that is right, and if you type start_mining in the wallet you will be solo mining as well (mostly supports the network but you might get lucky and win a block). Usually the best number of threads to use is the L3 cache size of your CPU divided by 2 MB.

jailee

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 06:57:30 PM

Yes that is right, and if you type start_mining in the wallet you will be solo mining as well (mostly supports the network but you might get lucky and win a block). Usually the best number of threads to use is the L3 cache size of your CPU divided by 2 MB.

Thanks for all the help everyone. If I run the miner in the wallet I will be helping the community more, but will that burn out anything on my laptop? I dont care if Im successful in obtaining a block, I just want to help and dont want to f up my computer.....it cost me 800$....alot more than Ill get from ANY mining I might be capable of...how do I change the number of threads ? Step my step cuz Im slow like a four yr old type talk please. Thank you so much....
Pages: « 1 ... 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 ... 2122 »
  Print  

Jump to: