Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:07:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667053 times)
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 06:18:40 PM

I am now syncing to the network on a Raspberry Pi 2, using Berkeley DB. LMDB does not work at this time for RPI but I understand it will be addressed in the future.

A Step-By-Step Guide to Running A Full Node on Raspberry Pi 2:

(thanks to smooth, binaryFate, fluffypony)

First, get your Raspberry Pi SD card set up.

Download Ubuntu for Raspberry Pi: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi
Install Ubuntu onto the SD card: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md

Now, boot your Raspberry Pi.

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults (n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w). Reboot the system, then:

sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
There is no swap partition/file included. If you want swap, it's recommended you do:

sudo apt-get install dphys-swapfile
Install dependencies (note, there may be more, but this is what I remember):

sudo apt-get install git vim libboost1.55-all-dev build-essential doxygen libdb5.3 libevent-dev libunbound-dev miniupnpc liblmdb-dev

You are now ready to build the bitmonero daemon!

git clone https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero.git bitmonero
cd bitmonero
vim Makefile
in the “release-all” section add this code: -D NO_AES=ON (type “i” to edit)
escape, then :x to save
cd src/blockchain_db/lmdb
vim db_lmdb.cpp
scroll to line 675 change “size_t mapsize = 1LL << 34;” to “size_t mapsize = 1LL << 30;”
:x
cd
cd bitmonero
make release-all
cd build/release/bin
./bitmonerod --db-type berkeley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
osensei

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

https://monerohash.com

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2015, 07:05:06 PM

I have noticed that too. Apparently there are wrong calculations...Which pool do you guys consider to be the best one right now?

Best pool by far is monero.crypto-pool.fr.

No one denies that's the largest pool, but largest doesn't mean best. On smaller pools your payments will be less frequent, but bigger. On the long run you should be getting more or less the same amount of XMR from each pool (it's also been said that you would be getting a little more from smaller pools, but I don't have the theory to back it up). But most importantly, if you avoid largest pools you will be helping to the decentralization by spreading the network's hash power.

You should look for a good pool with low latency in your location. Just make sure to ping the mining server address and not the web server, as they may not be in the same location. Also, if your mining software supports it, you should add a backup pool just in case your main pool becomes unavailable.

MoneroHash.com - U.S. Mining Pool
osensei

Activity: 70

https://monerohash.com

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2015, 07:18:58 PM

I am now syncing to the network on a Raspberry Pi 2, using Berkeley DB. LMDB does not work at this time for RPI but I understand it will be addressed in the future.

Install Ubuntu onto the SD card: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults (n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w). Reboot the system, then:

There is no swap partition/file included. If you want swap, it's recommended you do:

sudo apt-get install git vim libboost1.55-all-dev build-essential doxygen libdb5.3 libevent-dev libunbound-dev miniupnpc liblmdb-dev

cd bitmonero
vim Makefile
vim db_lmdb.cpp
scroll to line 675 change “size_t mapsize = 1LL << 34;” to “size_t mapsize = 1LL << 30;”
cd
cd bitmonero
make release-all
cd build/release/bin

Thanks for this saddam, I'll give it a try once I get my hands on the Raspberry Pi 2 I've ordered  Smiley

One thing though.... I tested the Berkeley DB implementation on my laptop and on a VPS, and it was taking ages to sync. Let me knows how it works out for you on the Raspberry Pi.

Hopefully LMDB issues for RPi will be fixed soon.

MoneroHash.com - U.S. Mining Pool
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 07:20:37 PM

I will say Monerohash.com has been solid and the operator which is osensei is on point.  Code patches and updates mostly applied same day issues are reported by dev's and others.  Payments within minutes of block maturity.  Plus osensei has always answered any and all email I ever sent him.  Great pool and I've been there since near the very first day.

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 07:27:27 PM

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

cd bitmonero
vim Makefile
vim db_lmdb.cpp
cd
cd bitmonero
make release-all
cd build/release/bin

Thanks for this saddam, I'll give it a try once I get my hands on the Raspberry Pi 2 I've ordered  Smiley

One thing though.... I tested the Berkeley DB implementation on my laptop and on a VPS, and it was taking ages to sync. Let me knows how it works out for you on the Raspberry Pi.

Can someone post these instructions on the MEW or GetMonero forum/knowledge base for easy access down the road.  I think I'll buy a few of these Rasberry Pi 2's.  I have a few friends who are interested in helping out the network and are willing to run a node from their locations.  Since this is such a small device it can really help network health.

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
saddambitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 08:18:40 PM

Yes, Berkeley database is slow. I think it's going to take about 4 days to sync fully.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 09:19:24 PM

Posted to wrong thread, cross posting.

Was at "DevCore London" bitcoin conference. Quite some mentions of privacy concerns, more than before as far as I can tell. Surprisingly knowledge of privacy cutting edge technics stops at "coinjoin", even for *very* famous bitcoin devs.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 09:26:44 PM

Yes, Berkeley database is slow. I think it's going to take about 4 days to sync fully.

A large part of the performance issue on RPi is simply the device itself being extremely low performance (although it does have multiple cores which we aren't really using so that will improve at some point). With no database at all it is only about 2.5x as fast as with bdb. That's the ceiling on any database implementation right now, and the current lmdb implementation won't be close to that ceiling.

4 days is optimistic, I think. But what's the hurry? The thing uses 2 watts -- just let it run.

Miki

Activity: 68

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 09:36:23 PM

I have noticed that too. Apparently there are wrong calculations...Which pool do you guys consider to be the best one right now?

No one denies that's the largest pool, but largest doesn't mean best. On smaller pools your payments will be less frequent, but bigger. On the long run you should be getting more or less the same amount of XMR from each pool (it's also been said that you would be getting a little more from smaller pools, but I don't have the theory to back it up). But most importantly, if you avoid largest pools you will be helping to the decentralization by spreading the network's hash power.

You should look for a good pool with low latency in your location. Just make sure to ping the mining server address and not the web server, as they may not be in the same location. Also, if your mining software supports it, you should add a backup pool just in case your main pool becomes unavailable.

Avoid small pools , difficulty oscillates by 10-30% during the day, if you mine at a small pool and it hits no blocks during the low diff period than you are at a loss.
Mine at a pool that hits a block every 10-15mins
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 09:41:56 PM

This was already known before -> https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/579092073875308545

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 09:50:06 PM

Posted to wrong thread, cross posting.

Was at "DevCore London" bitcoin conference. Quite some mentions of privacy concerns, more than before as far as I can tell. Surprisingly knowledge of privacy cutting edge technics stops at "coinjoin", even for *very* famous solipsistic bitcoin devs.

FTFY, with a word I learned here at BCT.  Cool
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 10:09:04 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2015, 11:27:55 PM by smooth

Avoid small pools , difficulty oscillates by 10-30% during the day, if you mine at a small pool and it hits no blocks during the low diff period than you are at a loss.

And if it does hit a block during a low-dificulty period you get a bit extra. Over several days it largely balances out.

Mine at a pool that hits a block every 10-15mins

A few blocks per day is plenty imo. The most important factor for a pool is reliability and that you have low latency. Bigger payouts is helpful because it will reduce your transaction fees when you try to spend.

One suggestion I remember from a while back that was pretty good is to mine in such a way that you get part of at least 50 blocks. That depends not only on the pool hash rate (or your own hash rate if solo mining) but also your time horizon.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 11:27:28 PM

Would this also work on a RPi B+?

No the ubuntu distro he is using is only for pi 2.

It can be made to work and the static build has been compiled for a b+ but the instructions will be somewhat different.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 12:41:14 AM

Would this also work on a RPi B+?

No the ubuntu distro he is using is only for pi 2.

It can be made to work and the static build has been compiled for a b+ but the instructions will be somewhat different.

Hilux, I first tried building on Raspbian but I had problems easily installing the most recent Boost libraries. Hence the switch to Ubuntu.

opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 12:56:19 AM

What's the best way to help out the network? Full node? On Raspberry? VPS? Other system? What's cheapest?

I was thinking about doing a community service of setting up nodes for people. People would pay the full cost of the affiliate link of InterServer.net for a specified time. (It's <6$ monthly).

On top I would charge a yet unspecified amount (something like 5-10 xmr) which would in full be donated to the core team development fund.

Thoughts?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 01:28:53 AM

What's the best way to help out the network? Full node? On Raspberry? VPS? Other system? What's cheapest?

I was thinking about doing a community service of setting up nodes for people. People would pay the full cost of the affiliate link of InterServer.net for a specified time. (It's <6$ monthly).

On top I would charge a yet unspecified amount (something like 5-10 xmr) which would in full be donated to the core team development fund.

Thoughts?

Probably the best way to strengthen the network would be to provide content on:

http://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/user-guides/

and here:

http://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/developer-guides/

the logic being that this information, nicely compiled on getmonero.org, will attract and instruct any interested person. This adoption leads to the network being helped out.

My crusade is still network hash strength. So, in that sense, a full node would be great. But even greater would be an easy way to set up a full node using a GPU miner. I know its doable, but I haven't had the full weekend of time to devote to tinkering with it.

"setting up nodes for people" - who is your target audience? If they are people in cryptoworld, thats good, because they can probably update their node at some point. If its just general people, you'll have to maintain their node for them (specifically for the hardfork eventually coming up at some point).

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 01:33:37 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2015, 04:37:36 AM by smooth

The best way regardless of cost is a full node on a decent CPU (i7/xeon) with solo mining. The equipment costs money obviously -- unless its something you already own -- but the power usage is pretty low. If you have a suitable GPU you can't solo mine obviously, so mine to a smaller pool.

RPi is very experimental at this point, won't really do much to help the network short term (no one has even synced yet).

VPS and such is reasonable, obviously has some privacy risks if people are using it for spending but no worse than a shared node. Most cheap VPS won't be feasible for mining. Runing a node without mining still helps the network, but not as much. Some VPS might be okay for mining though.

To help the project direct your solo mining to the donation address, but obviously that's a separate question from helping the network.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 01:39:59 AM

To contribute, just fork https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site and make a pull request?

opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 01:41:11 AM

Thoughts?

and here:

http://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/developer-guides/

the logic being that this information, nicely compiled on getmonero.org, will attract and instruct any interested person. This adoption leads to the network being helped out.

My crusade is still network hash strength. So, in that sense, a full node would be great. But even greater would be an easy way to set up a full node using a GPU miner. I know its doable, but I haven't had the full weekend of time to devote to tinkering with it.

"setting up nodes for people" - who is your target audience? If they are people in cryptoworld, thats good, because they can probably update their node at some point. If its just general people, you'll have to maintain their node for them (specifically for the hardfork eventually coming up at some point).

About the latter part, setting up for people. Several people have been holding back with "investing" in xmr because "no GUI". Some hold on exchanges (and now there's mymonero etc.). So even though we are first movers, and tech savvy compared to the rest of the population, many people in the space are still not tech savvy enough. I suspect it's a hurdle for many people. We could provide a venue for people where they could either "donate" a node, just by signing up and transferring the funds. At the same time we could put a minimum donation amount required.

I just wanted to know if the effort is/was worth it?
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 02:02:46 AM

opennux, I believe that your service is worth trying. I am wiling to help you in any way that I can.
Pages: « 1 ... 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: