Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:28:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 [1747] 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 ... 2122 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666803 times)
TheFuzzStone
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1442

thefuzzstone.github.io

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2017, 09:02:00 AM

https://twitter.com/CoinomiWallet/status/873710725369393152

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 10:06:51 AM

I am mostly using monero-cli. But a question about safety of mymonero.com.

If I log in to mymonero.com from a linux computer which does not have any keylogger, which are the ways and probabilities that someone may steal xmr?

What are your safety recommedations when using mymonero.com?

It is reasonably safe as all keyrelated functions only run locally. But there is always a chance of mim attacks and other vulnerabilities you might have been, or will be ,exposed to. So unless you are very diligent on making sure you are not compromised : only for a small amount is the general recommendation. Like what you would lose if you lost your wallet. Your mileage may of course vary on what that may be (;-)

The mim, the man in the middle attack is I guess not likely if my computer is not compromised? So if I restart my linux computer by live dvd there cannot be any malware keylogger or such. And that way the man in the middle attack is not really likely?

I have a knoppix disk as my emergency OS. Same thing it boots from a disc.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 10:22:43 AM

I am mostly using monero-cli. But a question about safety of mymonero.com.

If I log in to mymonero.com from a linux computer which does not have any keylogger, which are the ways and probabilities that someone may steal xmr?

What are your safety recommedations when using mymonero.com?

It is reasonably safe as all keyrelated functions only run locally. But there is always a chance of mim attacks and other vulnerabilities you might have been, or will be ,exposed to. So unless you are very diligent on making sure you are not compromised : only for a small amount is the general recommendation. Like what you would lose if you lost your wallet. Your mileage may of course vary on what that may be (;-)

The mim, the man in the middle attack is I guess not likely if my computer is not compromised? So if I restart my linux computer by live dvd there cannot be any malware keylogger or such. And that way the man in the middle attack is not really likely?

Unlikely agreed.You are still trusting a js download which could be compromised for whatever reason.  Although it is generally trusted, my tinfoil hat says small money only still.

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
Peter47

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 01:34:24 PM

Hello, I am new in the monero world and english is not my first language,

May be someone can help me? I tried to send some from mymonero to my Gui wallet. It dosent work, I got the message "invalid adress prefix". When I am checking my adress which I generated with the Gui interface, I noticed that it will not start with with "4". I made a new Gui wallet adress, the same again, without the starting "4". May be because there is no "4" I cant send? Some body has an idea, Thanks....
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:32:49 PM

May be someone can help me? I tried to send some from mymonero to my Gui wallet. It dosent work, I got the message "invalid adress prefix". When I am checking my adress which I generated with the Gui interface, I noticed that it will not start with with "4". I made a new Gui wallet adress, the same again, without the starting "4". May be because there is no "4" I cant send? Some body has an idea, Thanks....

Does it start with a 9? If so, you likely have the testnet wallet option checked in the wizard.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
CoinMarketApp

Activity: 136
Merit: 10

Coin Market Apps

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2017, 07:00:51 PM

OP

Coin Market Apps has added support for Monero. It's a mobile android app for the community to track down news and content about XMR. Please share the link in the thread.

Available on the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=coin.market.app.com

Please feel free to reach out for any questions or suggestions. Please help spread the word by tweeting, adding to threads, and websites.

mhbays

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 08:50:33 PM

Love Monero. Get yourself a Monero Tshirt at

https://tspr.ng/c/monerotshirt

Only need 2 more orders to print! Cheers guys.
Sharma
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

GATCOIN : The New Currency Of Digital Marketing

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 09:23:39 PM

MOnero is not moving beyond 0.02 btc range.I invest in monero and was expecting it price to rise but it has proved to be a bad investment for me till now.Seems I have to hold relly long to make profit

█████▄▄▄▄
   ████████████▄▄▄            ▀██████
   ███ ▀▀▀▀█████████▄          ▀█████
   ███         ▀▀▀█████▄         ▀███
   ███              ▀▀████▄▄███    ▀▀
   ███                ▀███████▀
   ███                    █████
   ███     ███▄         ▄███████
   ▐██▌     ▀███▄     ▄███▀  ███
   ▐███       ▀███▄▄ ███▀     ███
    ███▌        ▀████        ▐██▌
     ███         ████         ███
      ███      ▄█████▄       ▐██
       ███   ▄████▀ ▀███▄     ▐██
        ███▄████▀     ▀███▄   ███
         █████▀         ▀███▄████
          ██▀             ▀█████▌
                            ▀███▌
  ██████                      ▀▀
  ▀▀▀███
     ███
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
             JOIN US             
TELEGRAM TWITTER FACEBOOK
LINKEDIN WHITEPAPER
ozkraut

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 10:16:38 PM

MOnero is not moving beyond 0.02 btc range.I invest in monero and was expecting it price to rise but it has proved to be a bad investment for me till now.Seems I have to hold relly long to make profit

No overnight riches? Bad coin! Down!

Im glad we are slow and steady as hell. Seems the only real thing out there

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 4824

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 10:56:42 PM

You should sell, I hear Dash and ETH are Great pump and dump coins. You should buy one of them. Not sure why you thought XMR was one?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 11:59:28 PM

Using GUI, what's the procedure to create a cold wallet on an offline machine and subsequently set up its watch-only GUI counterpart on an online machine? I just wanna be sure that I don't screw up.

If you want to create an offline (i.e. cold) (paper) wallet, you can follow one of these guides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/6b2od3/a_stepbystep_guide_for_cold_storage_and_offline/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5limu9/taushet_usb_monero_cold_wallet_generator_release/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/48cgmd/an_extensive_guide_for_securely_generating_an/

If you want to use the GUI you likely need to make some tweaks to the guides, but those will be fairly trivial. In addition, if you get stuck somewhere and need help, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the links. The concise procedure quoted by bitebits (from saddambitcoin) above seems to be fine though. The only hitch is that the GUI window does not scale properly within a netbook's (setting it up as the cold/offline device) 1024 x 600 screen resolution. The GUI window fills the screen but the "Advanced Options" buttons at the bottom are cut off and rendered inaccessible as the GUI window cannot be moved around nor does it allow scrolling (not able to sign a transaction file as a consequence). Has this been reported before? Any solution?  Is this something that can be fixed in future releases?

Sounds like one of those edge case bugs. Could you open a new issue on Github with your issue, system specifications, and exact operating system?

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-core/issues

Hopefully one of the GUI devs will fix it for a future release Smiley

Is it kosher for me to sign up and post over there? I thought GitHub is exclusively for coders/devs (brainy ones unlike me) only. That said, I still struggle in navigating and making sense of the site. Too complex for me and the techie sophistication is intimidating. I'm just a regular Joe, hence I'm here in BCT.

visdude
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 12:13:32 AM

The only hitch is that the GUI window does not scale properly within a netbook's (setting it up as the cold/offline device) 1024 x 600 screen resolution. The GUI window fills the screen but the "Advanced Options" buttons at the bottom are cut off and rendered inaccessible as the GUI window cannot be moved around nor does it allow scrolling
Try the control/minus key combination that shrinks the screen image.

It doesn't work. Even if it does work and shrink the size of the GUI window, it'll just cut off a lot more of it and therefore rendering more GUI window features/buttons/real estate inaccessible. The issue is that it doesn't allow scrolling when any part of the window is not visible/cut off. This is true on both Windows 7 x64 and Linux Mint 18.1 x64 on the same netbook.

Apparently your issue was already reported earlier and has been fixed in master, which means it will be fixed in the next release. See:

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-core/issues/754

It's generally the same issue as my experience but I have observed more undesirable quirks of the GUI. Should I add it to the discussion? (i.e. if it's kosher for me to sign up and proceed as I'm not a coder/dev)?

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 01:36:46 AM

Using GUI, what's the procedure to create a cold wallet on an offline machine and subsequently set up its watch-only GUI counterpart on an online machine? I just wanna be sure that I don't screw up.

If you want to create an offline (i.e. cold) (paper) wallet, you can follow one of these guides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/6b2od3/a_stepbystep_guide_for_cold_storage_and_offline/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5limu9/taushet_usb_monero_cold_wallet_generator_release/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/48cgmd/an_extensive_guide_for_securely_generating_an/

If you want to use the GUI you likely need to make some tweaks to the guides, but those will be fairly trivial. In addition, if you get stuck somewhere and need help, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the links. The concise procedure quoted by bitebits (from saddambitcoin) above seems to be fine though. The only hitch is that the GUI window does not scale properly within a netbook's (setting it up as the cold/offline device) 1024 x 600 screen resolution. The GUI window fills the screen but the "Advanced Options" buttons at the bottom are cut off and rendered inaccessible as the GUI window cannot be moved around nor does it allow scrolling (not able to sign a transaction file as a consequence). Has this been reported before? Any solution?  Is this something that can be fixed in future releases?

Sounds like one of those edge case bugs. Could you open a new issue on Github with your issue, system specifications, and exact operating system?

Is it kosher for me to sign up and post over there? I thought GitHub is exclusively for coders/devs (brainy ones unlike me) only. That said, I still struggle in navigating and making sense of the site. Too complex for me and the techie sophistication is intimidating. I'm just a regular Joe, hence I'm here in BCT.

No coding knowledge needed, if you sign up for an account and click "New Issue" you'll be able to figure out the rest. The more detail you can provide about the problem the better, specifically what operating system are you on (osx/windows/linux).

Raizou

Activity: 758
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 03:11:56 AM

You should sell, I hear Dash and ETH are Great pump and dump coins. You should buy one of them. Not sure why you thought XMR was one?
Calm down, man! Are you investing or speculating? If Monero is slow to rise, but is not falling and continues to present updates, news, has a strong and great community, there is no mistake, Monero will go to the moon! Do not give up.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 4824

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 03:21:33 AM

Calm down, man! Are you investing or speculating? If Monero is slow to rise, but is not falling and continues to present updates, news, has a strong and great community, there is no mistake, Monero will go to the moon! Do not give up.

I don't know, you make a compelling argument but how am I supposed to make enough to cover the rent next week? I think it's not gonna go up fast enough.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 07:25:35 AM

Thanks for the links. The concise procedure quoted by bitebits (from saddambitcoin) above seems to be fine though. The only hitch is that the GUI window does not scale properly within a netbook's (setting it up as the cold/offline device) 1024 x 600 screen resolution. The GUI window fills the screen but the "Advanced Options" buttons at the bottom are cut off and rendered inaccessible as the GUI window cannot be moved around nor does it allow scrolling (not able to sign a transaction file as a consequence). Has this been reported before? Any solution?  Is this something that can be fixed in future releases?

No coding knowledge needed, if you sign up for an account and click "New Issue" you'll be able to figure out the rest. The more detail you can provide about the problem the better, specifically what operating system are you on (osx/windows/linux).

WTF! I signed up but I got the following message on a bright pink bar across the top of the page:

"Your account has been flagged.
Because of that, your profile is hidden from the public. If you believe this is a mistake, contact support to have your account status reviewed."

Well, I guess I'm not meant to be over there in the first place after all. Like I said, too complicated...never easy.

Thanks for the encouragement anyway.

xs.over

Activity: 376
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 12:03:28 PM

This is mainly caused by BOTNETS, which mine monero (it seems that about 30-35% of the entire monero network hashate - botnets). These fa**s increase net difficulty on 25-35% just within few hours. They sell a large amount of xmr and holding price in the range of 0.017-0.018btc
And Devs do not do anything  Embarrassed
ozkraut

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 12:10:14 PM

This is mainly caused by BOTNETS, which mine monero (it seems that about 30-35% of the entire monero network hashate - botnets). These fa**s increase net difficulty on 25-35% just within few hours. They sell a large amount of xmr and holding price in the range of 0.017-0.018btc
And Devs do not do anything  Embarrassed

mining emission does not change.

Peter47

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 12:51:26 PM

Quote from: Peter47 on June 11, 2017, 01:34:24 PM

Does it start with a 9? If so, you likely have the testnet wallet option checked in the wizard.

No, it doesnt matter with or not testnet option I always get worse adresses, the last one without nestnet started with "A", I have win 10 system 64.
xs.over

Activity: 376
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 01:08:08 PM

mining emission does not change.
And?
In case if big amount of coins sells immediately once they mined then it's made pressure on price
Pages: « 1 ... 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 [1747] 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 ... 2122 »
  Print  

Jump to: