Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:39:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
pönde

Activity: 308
Merit: 109

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:25:03 AM
Merited by explorer (1)

Well here is an interesting article.

"In 10 Years We Won't Have Blockchains"

The idea is, that in future the blockchains evolve the way that they are no more a linear timely arranged chain of blocks, but a some kind of a mesh of transactions. So blockchains are then no more called blockchains, because it is misleading name for them.

And the advance of this kind of a new structure is efficiency. Faster transactions and so on.

The writer of the article does not tell details how such system would work, but the idea sounds interesting. Just like before 2009 we did not know exactly how blockchain works, but the idea truly was interesting.

I think Monero team must think about this. This could be future. And if Monero was first to take it in use. That would be nice.

In 10 Years We Won't Have Blockchains

I predict that in 10 years blockchain technology will improve to a level that calling it "blockchain" will no longer be a useful term.

Let's think about this a moment. Why do we call it a blockchain? The three most interesting parts of the blockchain are:

Consensus mechanisms
Management mechanisms (meta-consensus of how to manage future improvements to the overall chain)
The structure of the blockchain itself
The last one will affect how large the network can get, how fast transaction times will happen, and so on. And the structure of the blockchain is why we call it a "blockchain."

So, what do we mean by "blockchain?" Let's break out the two component terms:

Block: A bunch of transactions bundled together.

Chain: The blocks cryptographically connected in a linear fashion.

Bye-bye blocks

I think in the future the block will not be needed. In its place will be a system where transactions are linked together and can confirm previous transactions.

In order to submit your next transaction, you need to validate others in the queue. In order to get what you want (your transaction submitted), you have to do some work for others.

Why do it this way? Transaction times in this model would be faster than, for example, bitcoin's transaction times today. The miner is technically removed and each transaction validates past transactions. Transaction times can actually go down as more people use the system.

Ciao to chains

I also think that in the future, the chain won't be a single directional string of blocks. I think it will look more like a mesh (or graph). Maybe we could have a non-linear set of of branches that go in several different directions, where many parallel transactions are happening.

So, maybe we'll call it a transaction graph. I've also seen the term Tangle (in the IOTA protocol) for early similar concepts.

Maybe we'll call it "the graph" much the same way we speak of "the cloud" today. We will all save information and transactions into this global graph (whether we know it or not).

Enter the DAG

The closest thing I've seen so far that matches my imagined path is a directed acyclic graph.

From Wikipedia:

"In mathematics and computer science, a directed acyclic graph is a finite directed graph with no directed cycles."

A DAG model works differently than a blockchain. A common blockchain requires miners to maintain blocks, but a DAG wouldn't need either proof-of-work or blocks.

New models of management would be needed. So, there is a lot of work to do.

But this model theoretically gets better as new nodes are added. So it may be an improved model for both fees (or, in ethereum parlance, "gas") and scalability over current blockchain models.

In the future, we may have something that does what a blockchain does, only better. There are still challenges to this model, so I don't know how this will play out. But, I think this design is intriguing, and I'm curious to see how it develops.

https://www.coindesk.com/10-years-wont-blockchains/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BidiPass

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:31:29 AM

Can this coin be merge mined with fantomcoin?
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:56:04 AM

Well here is an interesting article.

"In 10 Years We Won't Have Blockchains"

The idea is, that in future the blockchains evolve the way that they are no more a linear timely arranged chain of blocks, but a some kind of a mesh of transactions. So blockchains are then no more called blockchains, because it is misleading name for them.

And the advance of this kind of a new structure is efficiency. Faster transactions and so on.

The writer of the article does not tell details how such system would work, but the idea sounds interesting. Just like before 2009 we did not know exactly how blockchain works, but the idea truly was interesting.

I think Monero team must think about this. This could be future. And if Monero was first to take it in use. That would be nice.

They are way ahead of you the curve.  Go to getmonero.org and read some blogs.  Or just hold your nose, and go to reddit, where the news breaks these days.
pönde

Activity: 308
Merit: 109

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 11:25:39 AM

They are way ahead of you the curve.  Go to getmonero.org and read some blogs.  Or just hold your nose, and go to reddit, where the news breaks these days.

Great if the team really is aware and even ahead.

Could you give some links on getmonero.org about this issue. There is too much info to search for me.
revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:53:42 PM

worth read

MoneroV: A Trap Laid for Monero Users?

https://monetse.com/bitcoinschannel/monerov-a-trap-laid-for-monero-users-

Fork mania has arrived for the blockchain network Monero. There are plans to fork and provide an airdrop for holders of the altcoin during early March, dubbed MoneroV. The cash grab could be a way to uncover the individual identities of those who use Monero if they fall into the trap. Here, we outline the facts about MoneroV (XMV) and why you should cautiously consider claiming these coins.

What’s so bad about on airdrop on the Monero network? It’s free money right? Not necessarily; some people say there’s no such thing as a free lunch. As bitcoin has experienced, sometimes the promise of free money has resulted in malware or phishing attacks.

Furthermore, the launch of XMV produces adverse effects similar to the attack described in MRL-001 during September 2014. The privacy of users may be compromised because, if their same address is on both the Monero and MoneroV blockchain, when they spend any transaction in any of those chains it will produce the same key image. A key image, in simple terms, allows the Monero network to confirm whether an output has been spent or not quickly.

How Does the Attack Work?...........
elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 02:18:55 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2018, 03:20:27 PM by elrippos friend

Hy guys,

is there here on bitcointalk a thread for the monerujo android wallet, i personally didn´t find one.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction in forehand!

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 04:00:04 PM

Suppose you have an address that your coins are on when then fork happens. Now you have the same private key holding funds on both the main chain and the fork chain. You decide to make a transaction on the main chain. Your client picks 4 random inputs for ring signature partners plus your actual input. A B C D E are the ring signatories for your transaction on main chain. Which one is the real input? Nobody knows. Now you go over to the fork chain and you use that same private key to author a transaction on that that chain. Your client picks 4 random inputs for ring signature partners plus your actual input. F G C H I are the ring signatories for your transaction on the fork chain. Now which ring signature input was the real one and which were the decoys?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ingo49

Activity: 147

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 04:19:47 PM

worth read

MoneroV: A Trap Laid for Monero Users?

https://monetse.com/bitcoinschannel/monerov-a-trap-laid-for-monero-users-

tbh, this read just made me more in favour of xmv. It appears as a one-sided smear.
And actually what they were quoted by are excellent responses.

I'd be very happy to see the full response of monerov's team if Jaimy would release it.
Melody Jelly

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:54:54 PM

hi! This is really good coin.
i'm looking for ways to use Monero directly to pay for my everyday activities. Was thinking of using a crypto credit card. Someone tried it?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:58:50 PM

I'm a little behind the times, are we going to see zk-STARKS in Monero?
While Monero’s lead developer, Riccardo Spagni, has criticized Zcash in the past, calling it a “complete security farce,” this new system of implementing zero knowledge proofs may avoid some of the serious issues that Zcash’s current zk-SNARKs system has. Spagni told CoinDesk that Monero will integrate zk-STARKs “if and when it’s usable.

https://www.deepdotweb.com/2017/10/11/monero-considers-implementing-zk-starks/

I don't think our community is wedded to any particular technology. We have a vision of providing private fungible value storage and transfer at the best scale that technology currently allows for while using only safe and well vetted techniques. We also have very healthy governance and a well balanced and rational community who all have a similar vision, so forks tend to be a breeze. If it turns out that ZK-Starks is the bees knees it will almost certainly be implemented here.

It is not usable, and doesn't look to become usable in the foreseeable future.  IIRC transactions would take like 20 minutes or something to compute.  I don't remember the details, just that it isn't currently viable.

Holy shit I read it was long but really? Do you have a link on that?

BTW what is the longest calculated transaction time thats currently in use for comparisons sake?

...Clipped...

Enter the DAG

The closest thing I've seen so far that matches my imagined path is a directed acyclic graph.

From Wikipedia:

"In mathematics and computer science, a directed acyclic graph is a finite directed graph with no directed cycles."

A DAG model works differently than a blockchain. A common blockchain requires miners to maintain blocks, but a DAG wouldn't need either proof-of-work or blocks.

New models of management would be needed. So, there is a lot of work to do.

But this model theoretically gets better as new nodes are added. So it may be an improved model for both fees (or, in ethereum parlance, "gas") and scalability over current blockchain models.

In the future, we may have something that does what a blockchain does, only better. There are still challenges to this model, so I don't know how this will play out. But, I think this design is intriguing, and I'm curious to see how it develops.

https://www.coindesk.com/10-years-wont-blockchains/

[/quote]

I've seen this argument in alot of Dag coin threads but have seen no working POC. So afa I'm concerned it's pie in the sky and BC tech could morph into anything or nothing at all for the foreseeable future.

Suppose you have an address that your coins are on when then fork happens. Now you have the same private key holding funds on both the main chain and the fork chain. You decide to make a transaction on the main chain. Your client picks 4 random inputs for ring signature partners plus your actual input. A B C D E are the ring signatories for your transaction on main chain. Which one is the real input? Nobody knows. Now you go over to the fork chain and you use that same private key to author a transaction on that that chain. Your client picks 4 random inputs for ring signature partners plus your actual input. F G C H I are the ring signatories for your transaction on the fork chain. Now which ring signature input was the real one and which were the decoys?

I've decided to split my romero's into 1 tachoshi wallets and use those to cash in on monerov. Tongue

hi! This is really good coin.
i'm looking for ways to use Monero directly to pay for my everyday activities. Was thinking of using a crypto credit card. Someone tried it?

Try pointing "it" out.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 07:50:27 PM
Merited by Anon136 (1)

Long compute times and higher fees for especially sensitive transactions would be fine.  RingCT2 or its direct successor might be used alongside zk-STARKs, or one class embedded with the other.  I have no idea if this can be done without creating new information flows with adverse privacy implications for either class of transaction.  This has probably been discussed elsewhere.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:04:25 PM

It is not usable, and doesn't look to become usable in the foreseeable future.  IIRC transactions would take like 20 minutes or something to compute.  I don't remember the details, just that it isn't currently viable.

Holy shit I read it was long but really? Do you have a link on that?

As I stated, I don't recall the particulars, just my conclusions.  Sorry, my main storage is getting full, so I overwrite all but the headers  Tongue  The info is still out there somewhere.  If I come across it again, I will link it here.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 12:14:03 AM

Long compute times and higher fees for especially sensitive transactions would be fine.  RingCT2 or its direct successor might be used alongside zk-STARKs, or one class embedded with the other.  I have no idea if this can be done without creating new information flows with adverse privacy implications for either class of transaction.  This has probably been discussed elsewhere.

I completely agree with the bolded, as for the rest of your statement I have no clue but would like to know as well. Smiley

As I stated, I don't recall the particulars, just my conclusions.  Sorry, my main storage is getting full, so I overwrite all but the headers  Tongue  The info is still out there somewhere.  If I come across it again, I will link it here.

It probably got culled from the speculation thread lol, sometimes we can shoot ourselfs in the foot by posting in there and forgetting the off topic will disappear. Smiley

AFA searching I have spent far to much time trying to find the theoretical debate of speculative and/or prediction paths way back in the mid nineties that I've inferred to over the years that we are seeing in effect ATM. So my online time has been turning into work instead of pleasure and I don't like that! Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 12:37:19 AM

Hy guys,

is there here on bitcointalk a thread for the monerujo android wallet, i personally didn´t find one.
Found this
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2370501.0
Dodnastes

Activity: 58

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:09:14 AM

Can this coin be merge mined with fantomcoin?

It cannot merge mined with fantomcoin.
elrippos friend

Activity: 1179
Merit: 210

only hodl what you understand and love!

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 08:56:29 AM

Hy guys,

Found this
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2370501.0

Yeeeaaahhh, found that one too, but i am looking for a "official" thread from monerujo  Grin

novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 10:08:28 AM

Help please, I'm trying to open an old wallet, writes here is such an error - "Could not open wallet: basic_string :: _ M_replace_aux" it is generally possible how to open it?

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
doc12
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1042

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 10:24:27 AM

I wonder how the ledger wallet integration is stepping forward? Any news on this? Last update was 2 or 3 months ago.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 10:54:41 AM

Help please, I'm trying to open an old wallet, writes here is such an error - "Could not open wallet: basic_string :: _ M_replace_aux" it is generally possible how to open it?

See:

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/6611/cant-load-wallet-in-cli-v0-11-1-0-error-stdbad-alloc-error-basic-string

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 10:55:15 AM

I wonder how the ledger wallet integration is stepping forward? Any news on this? Last update was 2 or 3 months ago.

Last update was ~ 1 month ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7pfj0z/ledger_hardware_wallet_monero_integration_some/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Pages: « 1 ... 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 [1878] 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: