Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:35:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 [801] 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666961 times)
PestoQuinty

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:00:50 AM

The hashrate and the price are low so it is a good time to mine if you have the hardware or to buy if you have some BTC.
The price is low, but the hash rate is similar to the past. So who is mining with profit?

I think Monero mining is similar to Bitcoin mining.
There are believers that mine whatever it cost.
Those believers expect the price to be so much higher tomorrow that it doesn't matter the today profitability.
They don't mine other shitcoins because they are shitcoins.

That would be me, and i own 0.1% of total hashrate. Its hard for me to believe that there aren't 1000 miners like me out there and its all botnet... In fact, its hard to believe that hashrate is this small...
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:40:11 AM

can we add links to hashrate, difficulty and other charts to this thread or the .cc website ?
also links to some blockchain explorer
i know there are sites for this but ever since monerochain.info is dead i always forget where to find such info

btw, the old website is really a joke - we discussed it month ago and there is no change - quit with this nonsense and stop allowing this dump mode already! it really seems intentional at this point...

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:48:27 AM

can we add links to hashrate, difficulty and other charts to this thread or the .cc website ?
i know there are sites for this but ever since monerochain.info is dead i always forget where to find such info

chainradar.com and minergate.com (on minergate, click "blockchains")

btw, the old website is really a joke - we discussed it month ago and there is no change - quit with this nonsense and stop allowing this dump mode already! it really seems intentional at this point...

It is certainly not intentional. Just many conflicting priorities and limited resources. There is work continuing on the web site.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:53:01 AM

it is exactly this niche xmr should try to fill:

private store of value

we maybe need some places where you can use monero but the above is, also due to design of emmission rate the perfect use case - obv. store of value and velocity are interconnected, but from design the first function is much more important

There is not really a lot of value in merely storing it if you can't use it privately when you want to, or even potentially move it into storage privately to begin with. If you have to go through exchanges to do anything with it, that becomes a chokepoint where your identity might be demanded or exposed, or at the very least you will be transacting through currencies that are far less private (e.g. Bitcoin and fiat).

The needs to get more built out to do its job.

Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:15:32 PM

I have decided I want to direct all my mining output to the Devs. I am not a big miner (about 400 H/s CPU + GPU) but I want to make an effort to support development and the network. It would be great if others felt able to do likewise.

I have been mining using the minexmr pool, and suppose I could just direct the output to the donation address in the original pool:
-u 46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8a HYjA3jk3o1Bv16em -p x

However, I was wondering if I could miss the pool out entirely and solo-mine directly to the dev donation address. Is that possible.
Cheers, Q
EDIT: I am using the wolf and Tsiv miners at the moment
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:17:41 PM

I have decided I want to direct all my mining output to the Devs. I am not a big miner (about 400 H/s CPU + GPU) but I want to make an effort to support development and the network. It would be great if others felt able to do likewise.
I have been mining using the minexmr pool, and suppose I could just direct the output to the donation address in the original pool:
-u 46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8a HYjA3jk3o1Bv16em -p x
However, I was wondering if I could miss the pool out entirely and solo-mine directly to the dev donation address. Is that possible.
Cheers, Q

Sorry but you cannot expect to find any block with a low hashrate if solomining.
The best is to mine on a stable pool using the donation address.

Thx for your support BTW. If more people where doing like you do, things would be much faster.
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:19:34 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2014, 12:33:21 PM by e-coinomist

In the same way I assume you can judge the interest in a coin by how it reacts to good news (good news & the coin barely goes up.  Like bitcoin being adopted by PayPal which was supposed to be the holy grail barely going up.  And then a massive sell off afterwards.).  

PayPal rumors kept the BTC at least hoovering for some days. Face it, when you zoom all out on BTC curve you see a pump&dump in the late decline. People get out into FIAT, most with losses.

About Altcoins they say you can see Bitcoin there at Fast-Forward speed. So true.

Edit: a more eloquent expression of the facts
Market cap is measured in USD, price in BTC.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:23:07 PM

Cheers, Q

Sorry but you cannot expect to find any block with a low hashrate if solomining.

I think solo mining to the donation address is just fine. It doesn't really matter if one person doesn't find blocks because multiple people will be doing it (including me -- I've been doing this for months now), so the donation address can and will get blocks. Plus the solo mining itself helps keep the network decentralized and more secure.

The way to do it is to type "start_mining donation-address number-of-threads" in your daemon window.

But there isn't any easy way to do that for the GPU part, so keep that on a pool, which also ensures some steady mining rewards along with the random occasional blocks.

In choosing a pool, please make sure to find one that doesn't make tiny payouts.

Thx for your support BTW. If more people where doing like you do, things would be much faster.

+1
Quicken

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:24:16 PM

Fair enough. Donation batch files launched.  Smiley
Quicken

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:26:47 PM

Cheers, Q

I think solo mining to the donation address is just fine. It doesn't really matter if one person doesn't find blocks because multiple people will be doing it (including me -- I've been doing this for months now), so the donation address can and will get blocks. Plus the solo mining itself helps keep the network decentralized and more secure.

The way to do it is to type "start_mining donation-address number-of-threads" in your daemon window.

But there isn't any easy way to do that for the GPU part, so keep that on a pool, which also ensures some steady mining rewards along with the random occasional blocks.

In choosing a pool, please make sure to find one that doesn't make tiny payouts.

+1

I'm on minexmr.com, which does min 0.5 XMR payouts.
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:59:09 PM

It is certainly not intentional. Just many conflicting priorities and limited resources. There is work continuing on the web site.

why not add it to this thread's first page?
how are people supposed to check their transactions?
Quicken

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:14:44 PM

For those waiting for Cryptsy listing, I found this story today that may be of interest:

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/cryptocurrency-exchange-cryptsy-owner-paul-vernon-face-lawsuit/
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:27:44 PM

why not add it to this thread's first page?
how are people supposed to check their transactions?

Good suggestion. I've passed that on to the maintainer of the page.
mitache365

Activity: 731
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:46:08 PM

pump group is gone?

BTC
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:04:41 PM

An exception might be BBR, who got some backing from jl777, although is now again in a decline as it is not clear if SuperNet can deliver or not.

I'm not so sure that can be the reason considering a lot of the work is already done for superNET. And the past week James has been working directly with CZ to implement some of the code into BBR: https://github.com/cryptozoidberg/boolberry/tree/master/utils

Could be anything really. It's obviously affecting pretty much all altcurrencies right now. I think Bitcoin itself needs a big bump to get money flowing again. Not sure how or when that's going to happen though. Since Circle and Paypal have come and gone with little effect the only bright spots on the horizon that I can see right now are the Bitcoin ETFs(which might be incredible, but we'll see).
crypto_zoidberg

Activity: 976
Merit: 646

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 03:20:15 PM

BBR made the decision to prune ring signatures.  Which if I understand correctly makes it impossible to mathematically prove previous transactions were actually anonymous without the code base (or something along these lines).  I 100% want to figure out how to make the blockchain smaller per transaction - but I feel like being conservative about keeping proof of anonymity is a decision that bodes well for the future of the coin.

What it does is make it impossible for a new user to verify that the chain followed the rules at the beginning. You and I know (or at least we reasonably believe) that there wasn't any funny business in BBR at the beginning because we were around before during and after the trimming, but a new user starting a node has no way to establish that at all other than trusting you and me or someone like us to tell them that we were around and everything is okay.

That is unlike Bitcoin or Monero where you as a new user, on your own, can literally check every single transaction back to the genesis block and don't need to trust anyone to tell you they all followed the rules. I think the issue is somewhat worse with an anonymous coin than Bitcoin because rule violations can be hidden in the anonymity (if someone has a million extra coins, you couldn't see that or prove it). Nevertheless it isn't is devastating flaw or anything, just a somewhat higher level of external trust required than other coins (with the offsetting benefit of a smaller chain).

What it does is make it impossible for a new user to verify that the chain followed the rules at the beginning.
It's not true.

I just put non-pruned version of boolberry blockchain: http://boolberry.com/downloads.html#blockchain_proof, special for you, because you like to confuse people with speculations about this stuff.

That is unlike Bitcoin or Monero where you as a new user, on your own, can literally check every single transaction back to the genesis block and don't need to trust anyone to tell you they all followed the rules.
Not true, again.
You can do it for BBR as well, using this full version of blockchain you can mathematically prove that all transactions followed network rules.

The worse that we already discussed it with smooth and he knows that he is wrong here.

Zoidberg

ps: i wondering, when you guys finally stop confuse people about my project ?!

Jojatekok

Activity: 264

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:36:08 PM

+1

I have always wondered why the altcoin developers like to fight instead of making a great unite. As a Monero fan (and third-party GUI developer), I respect Boolberry, its fundamentals, and the people behind it. We are all aiming for the same goal: mainstream cryptocurrency adoption.

Code:
Monero  (XMR): 47hK4gehaMrFTQCiV5FEmM54hpqTrdHudb9nUBG88NicBDpxH4TGuh3TmW84Dc6dpMiEiBLGvJCuT3xC3LNHctmx7mG8NLM
Bitcoin (BTC): 14wHehBtFt321WTV15khon8Juaxh9drnfJ
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:42:57 PM

Not true, again.
You can do it for BBR as well, using this full version of blockchain you can mathematically prove that all transactions followed network rules.

The worse that we already discussed it with smooth and he knows that he is wrong here.

Zoidberg

Zoidberg - can you elaborate?  You're saying that you can't prove it as a client with a pruned blockchain - but you CAN prove it with a full blockchain.  Are there two different networks running where you can download the full blockchain if you want - or the pruned one if you want?

I'm more interested in truth than pissing contests ....
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:43:51 PM

I just put non-pruned version of boolberry blockchain: http://boolberry.com/downloads.html#blockchain_proof, special for you, because you like to confuse people with speculations about this stuff.

No, you modified some of the signatures there. In the original version they were different.

(I know you didn't, but you can't prove it.)

I could say the same. Let's not personalize a disagreement.

That's not what's going on.

rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:49:13 PM

No, you modified some of the signatures there. In the original version they were different.

(I know you didn't, but you can't prove it.)

I could say the same. Let's not personalize a disagreement.

That's not what's going on.

Ok.  So basically there isn't a live network that keeps the full ring signatures - but rather a download that Zoidberg can put together.  My only concern is I like the idea of a self sustaining system that can prove anonymity going all the way back (this is the tradeoff of pruning right?)

Wouldn't the best of both worlds be a pruned version and a full version with the client being able to specify which one to download?  Or would this even be practical / possible?
Pages: « 1 ... 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 [801] 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: