Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:45:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: superblock checkpoint architecture  (Read 2138 times)
hashman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:47:21 PM

I've been thinking about ways to make a decentralized checkpoint of sorts.

My purpose here is more to find if anybody has built anything like or this or considered it rather than to suggest it be a practical suggestion for the main chain.

A superblock checkpoint is mined in the usual way, but the rate can be chosen such that the difficulty is some factor 10000 or more times the usual block difficulty.  When a miner gets lucky enough to find a superblock, it creates a normal block but also includes a checkpoint structure of some kind, for example a list of all unspent outputs, or a digest of that list.  The superblock could even behave as a genesis block of sorts in that full clientś and miners might not be required to download previous blocks.  A superblock author could be incentivized by an increased coinbase reward, but the additional proof of work added to the chain from a superblock would not be greater (i.e. superblocks could be orphaned).     

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:25:19 AM

The superblock could even behave as a genesis block of sorts in that full clientś and miners might not be required to download previous blocks. 

I think they still would have to download previous blocks because a block only contains 10 minutes worth of transactions.  It doesn't know all the inputs and outputs of what came before it.

hashman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:11:18 AM

The superblock could even behave as a genesis block of sorts in that full clientś and miners might not be required to download previous blocks. 

I think they still would have to download previous blocks because a block only contains 10 minutes worth of transactions.  It doesn't know all the inputs and outputs of what came before it.

A checkpointing sblock would contain not only 10 minutes worth of transactions but a snapshot of the entire chain.  You can look at it as making a new pre-mined coin where the pre-mine goes to all addresses which had coin on the old chain.  One could even play some more tricks like adjusting the sblock difficulty in proportion to the amount of data collecting in the chain to target a certain portability. 

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:14:55 AM

how much memory would that snapshot require do ya think?

hashman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:40:37 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2014, 10:38:58 AM by hashman

how much memory would that snapshot require do ya think?

Good question.  I guess the answer depends on the exact implementation.  

Do you mean how much RAM required for verification or for creation?  Or the size of the superblock itself?  

One related question is how much "data efficiency" there is on the block chain, which we could define as the size of a list of all unspent output address/amount pairs divided by the total size of the block chain.  Lots of mixing and spending leads to lower data efficiency.  A quick back of the envelope calculation shows we are doing pretty well here now, I estimate 75% or so.    

Edit: more like 10%.  I had confused bits and bytes Smiley   

At this stage it seems clear that we don't need anything like this because TX pruning works pretty well already.  However as rumblings continue from block chain bloat and the number of running full nodes decreases due to storage costs could it become worth considering a solution of this nature?  
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:37:30 PM

I was referring to the block itself

Rinndaranaur

Activity: 266
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 03:41:44 PM

After reading this I realized how I'm far away from understanding everything connected to the hardware
hashman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:01:37 PM

I was referring to the block itself

You can't get much smaller than a list of who has what money, that's the essential information. 

So that's 160 bits per address and lets say 32 bits per amount (in general more is needed but some compression could be used as most unspent amounts are less than 2^32 satoshi).  That's 640 bytes per entry.  At 2 million nonzero addresses (roughly where we are now) that is about 1.3 gigs.   

Seems like a lot for one block but if you are dropping 15 gigs of block chain the net gain in portability is substantial.  There will always be copies of the old chain lying around which can be verified as authentic as well as used to verify that superblocks are valid.     
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:09:24 PM

I like the idea in theory. 

my opinions hold little weight,  but at least 1 person likes it. Lol

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 05:47:35 PM

This kind of stuff has been discussed many times before.  What you're suggesting here violates the Bitcoin security assumptions— that the integrity of the data is solid because all nodes full nodes have verified it themselves and not trusted third parties to do it— and in the simple form described opens up some pretty nasty attacks:  Make your state commitment always be to one where you own all the "lost" coins, sure, you're unlikely to find the next commitment yourself, but if you do— ca-ching!.   Of course, if you're verifying the state commitments, then there is no reason to use a 'high apparent difficulty' to select which blocks provide them (see the proposals about merkleized utxo for how a reduced security model can be implemented this way).
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:00:10 PM

Couldn't a block still be created and after consensus has been established on the block, and after some time has passed, it could be used instead of the entire chain? How would that violate security assumptions?

hashman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:38:05 PM

This kind of stuff has been discussed many times before.  What you're suggesting here violates the Bitcoin security assumptions— that the integrity of the data is solid because all nodes full nodes have verified it themselves and not trusted third parties to do it— and in the simple form described opens up some pretty nasty attacks:  Make your state commitment always be to one where you own all the "lost" coins, sure, you're unlikely to find the next commitment yourself, but if you do— ca-ching!.   Of course, if you're verifying the state commitments, then there is no reason to use a 'high apparent difficulty' to select which blocks provide them (see the proposals about merkleized utxo for how a reduced security model can be implemented this way).

Thanks for comments! 

I guess one could argue that we trust the network to verify transactions and provide the block chain, why not trust it to make checkpoints?  I can see the argument that the integrity and security is better if every transaction back to 2008 is verified by every node, but that needs to be weighed against the integrity and security lost by the number of full nodes dropping slowly off due to the storage and computation requirements. 

I need to think more about the the potential attacks, but I'm not sure I follow the one you describe.  A state commitment which redistributes unspent outputs, lost or not, to different addresses, would be easily spotted and rejected.  I was more worried about incentivising nodes/miners to pay attention to checkpoints at all due to the extensive requirement of verification.  A miner would likely simply ignore superblock and try building on top of the last normal block rather than spend the time verifying a list of millions of entries and writing gigabytes to storage.

I had a look through
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=314467.0

looks relevant but I'm not proposing such a reduction here.         

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 11:39:18 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 11:54:06 PM by gmaxwell

I guess one could argue that we trust the network to verify transactions and provide the block chain, why not trust it to
We do not trust it to verify transactions, we trust it only to order transactions, verifying we do for ourselves.  By verifying for ourselves we eliminate possible benefits of including invalid transactions and the profit that would go along with doing so. This is important because we depend only on economic incentives to get the honest behavior for ordering at all— there is no exponential gap between attacking and defending in POW consensus. If by being dishonest you can steal coins (or even reclaim lost ones) it's an entirely different trade-off question than a case where you can only rearrange transactions (and potentially replace your own).  This isn't to say that a system couldn't be constructed where only miners verified, but its a different and weaker set of security/economic incentives— and not just some minor optimization.

but that needs to be weighed against the integrity and security lost by the number of full nodes dropping slowly off due to the storage and computation requirements.
The computation is a one time requirement at initialization, not ongoing (and because of bandwidth requirements I don't expect computation to ever be limiting) and could be performed in the background on new nodes.  There is _no_ storage requirement in general for the past history. Full nodes do not need to store it, they've already validated it and can forget it.  This isn't implemented in full nodes today— little need because the historical storage is not very great currently, though Bitcoin core's storage is already structured to enable it: You can delete old blocks and your node will continue to work normally, validating blocks and processing transactions, until you try to request an older block via rpc or p2p (and then it will crash). The protocol is specifically designed to avoid nodes having to store old transaction data as described in section 7 of bitcoin.pdf, and can do so without any security tradeoff.

A state commitment which redistributes unspent outputs, lost or not, to different addresses, would be easily spotted and rejected
Validation is the process which accomplishes this spotting and rejection. Smiley If you seek to not validate, then in cases where there is no validation those errors can be passed in. If some parties validate and some do not then you risk partitioning the network— e.g. old nodes 'ignore' your "superblock" and stay on the honest network, while new nodes use it and are willing to follow a dishonest network (potentially to the exclusion of the honest one).... and the inconsistency is probably worse than the fraud. So you're still stuck with if someone mines a invalid state that some nodes will not catch because they do not verify, then all must accept it without verifying it.

Couldn't a block still be created and after consensus has been established on the block, and after some time has passed, it could be used instead of the entire chain? How would that violate security assumptions?
In addition to the incentives point above: The participants are not constant  and  set out at the front... anonymous parties come and go, so what does a "consensus" really mean if you're not a part of it and all those who are are anonymous self-selecting parties and perhaps sybils?  If I spin up 100 fake nodes and create a "consensus" that I have a trillion bitcoins and you join later— so it it matters greatly that the rules were followed before you showed up, e.g. that the creator of the system hadn't magically assigned himself a trillion coins using a fake consensus before you showed up. Smiley Of course you don't need the data any more once you've validated it— you can just remember that it was valid... but if you haven't, how are you to know except either by processing a proof of it (e.g. checking it yourself) or by trusting a third party?  Bitcoin was created to eliminate the need for trust in currency systems, at least to the extent thats possible.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:39:40 AM

Point taken. 

I'm just playing devils advocate a little to explore possibility of saving space.

What about storing archive copies of the entire blockchain, so that
the super block could be verified anytime one wants to?

I guess that doesn't really save storage space, but maybe it
Could create the ability for full nodes and "semi full nodes"
Who use the super block.

But then again, I assume that is probably currently
Possible without changing bitcoin?

hashman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:15:05 AM

There is _no_ storage requirement in general for the past history. Full nodes do not need to store it, they've already validated it and can forget it. This isn't implemented in full nodes today— little need because the historical storage is not very great currently, though Bitcoin core's storage is already structured to enable it: You can delete old blocks and your node will continue to work normally, validating blocks and processing transactions, until you try to request an older block via rpc or p2p (and then it will crash).

This one kind of blew my mind Smiley  You're not talking about SPV nodes either here I think.  I guess the idea is that when a transaction appears on the network and I want to validate it, the TX already has the UTXO data and I just need to hash it, if necessary up a tree until I can compare to a merkle root that I do have stored.  But if I really have nothing stored, then the high level security of validating everything myself can't possibly be there?  Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing more of this. 

What I am proposing is a restructuring of the database.  The block chain is a log structured database due to the way it is built, but this is in general not an efficient way to store this kind of data.  A restructuring could be performed and validated by the network.  However if I understand what you are saying it may never be necessary. 

Validation is the process which accomplishes this spotting and rejection. Smiley If you seek to not validate, then in cases where there is no validation those errors can be passed in. If some parties validate and some do not then you risk partitioning the network— e.g. old nodes 'ignore' your "superblock" and stay on the honest network, while new nodes use it and are willing to follow a dishonest network (potentially to the exclusion of the honest one).... and the inconsistency is probably worse than the fraud. So you're still stuck with if someone mines a invalid state that some nodes will not catch because they do not verify, then all must accept it without verifying it.

How is this different than a miner today issuing a block with a coinbase transaction greater than 25 coins?  Anybody can verify at any time that the block is fraudulent and ignore it and all blocks above it.  With my proposal new nodes can always check old blocks to verify the chain and the checkpoint.  They just aren't required to store the old blocks.   

Cheers -   
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 07:31:05 AM

This one kind of blew my mind Smiley  You're not talking about SPV nodes either here I think.  I guess the idea is that when a transaction appears on the network and I want to validate it, the TX already has the UTXO data and I just need to hash it, if necessary up a tree until I can compare to a merkle root that I do have stored.  But if I really have nothing stored, then the high level security of validating everything myself can't possibly be there?  Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing more of this. 

What I am proposing is a restructuring of the database.  The block chain is a log structured database due to the way it is built, but this is in general not an efficient way to store this kind of data.  A restructuring could be performed and validated by the network.  However if I understand what you are saying it may never be necessary.
The data you use to validate doesn't have to have any relationship to the data sent over the wire beyond the fact that you get the same results when verifying.  No hashing is required to verify a new transaction that shows up (other than the hashing in the signatures, of course).  A transaction shows up, it names which txid:vouts it is spending and provides the required scriptSigs. You look up those txid:vouts in your utxo set and accept the transaction if the signatures pass.  The utxo set is currently about 300mbytes. You don't store the history there, you just store the much smaller set of spendable coins. The resulting behavior is indistinguishable from a node with the history except that a node without it can't serve old blocks to new bootstraping nodes... and this all works today, Bitcoin core is already structured this way, but doesn't yet support actually removing the old data.

With some p2p protocol additions validation actually can be made completely storageless but as a non-trivial bandwidth cost (by instead storing the root of a hash tree over the utxo set and asking peers to give the connecting fragments whenever they give you a transaction)... but the bandwidth cost of doing that is high enough that it's probably not worthwhile.

How is this different than a miner today issuing a block with a coinbase transaction greater than 25 coins?  Anybody can verify at any time that the block is fraudulent and ignore it and all blocks above it.
Can is very different than _does_. Today everyone constantly validates these things and instantly rejects invalid data. If you instead make it so that validation has a high marginal cost and by default people don't validate then you'll find many never validate and a few do. If miners start rewarding themselves too much coin ("A bit of inflation is good for the economy!") the network will partition into real validating and non-real validating nodes.  You might then say that the non-validating now need to go fix themselves to validate but what if they have spends in the non-validating fork that they've already acted on which are conflicted in the other fork already they're certantly not going to want to do that. Once the network has a non-trivial partition there is an extreme risk that it is fundamentally impossible to resolve it without causing severe monetary loss for someone.  So the "don't check and if something goes wrong, hopefully people will figure something out" mode doesn't really work— the only time you can really deal with an invalid block is the moment it happens, not later after people have taken irreversible actions because they thought it was okay.
hashman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:10:42 AM

The data you use to validate doesn't have to have any relationship to the data sent over the wire beyond the fact that you get the same results when verifying.  No hashing is required to verify a new transaction that shows up (other than the hashing in the signatures, of course).  A transaction shows up, it names which txid:vouts it is spending and provides the required scriptSigs. You look up those txid:vouts in your utxo set and accept the transaction if the signatures pass.  The utxo set is currently about 300mbytes. You don't store the history there, you just store the much smaller set of spendable coins. The resulting behavior is indistinguishable from a node with the history except that a node without it can't serve old blocks to new bootstraping nodes... and this all works today, Bitcoin core is already structured this way, but doesn't yet support actually removing the old data.

OK I think I am finally getting your drift.  A full client can basically *already* (sorta?) make a utxo list and use that rather than hold the whole chain?  Incidentally if the set is 300mbytes my estimate was way off.  For 1 million addresses (I think we are at more than that now), at 160 bits each, that leaves 15 bits to each address for the amount of unspent.   Am I calculating something wrong there?  And if this is true, why aren't we doing it already?         

Can is very different than _does_. Today everyone constantly validates these things and instantly rejects invalid data. If you instead make it so that validation has a high marginal cost and by default people don't validate then you'll find many never validate and a few do. If miners start rewarding themselves too much coin ("A bit of inflation is good for the economy!") the network will partition into real validating and non-real validating nodes.  You might then say that the non-validating now need to go fix themselves to validate but what if they have spends in the non-validating fork that they've already acted on which are conflicted in the other fork already they're certantly not going to want to do that. Once the network has a non-trivial partition there is an extreme risk that it is fundamentally impossible to resolve it without causing severe monetary loss for someone.  So the "don't check and if something goes wrong, hopefully people will figure something out" mode doesn't really work— the only time you can really deal with an invalid block is the moment it happens, not later after people have taken irreversible actions because they thought it was okay.

Yes, an increase in marginal cost of validation is a real concern.  I guess I am thinking that the marginal cost of validating 5+ years of dust and mixing transactions is already getting too high.  At the very least we will need some kind of intermediate node.  Sending all new nodes 20 gigs of data and checking ECDSA sigs when you could be sending 300Mb seems suboptimal.  Especially if that 300Mb list of UTXOs had been validated by the entire network of miners for 100 blocks or more.  If there is a better way to do that with minimal (or no) changes to the protocol I am all ears.       

Thanks! --     
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 06:59:15 AM

OK I think I am finally getting your drift.  A full client can basically *already* (sorta?) make a utxo list and use that rather than hold the whole chain?  Incidentally if the set is 300mbytes my estimate was way off.  For 1 million addresses (I think we are at more than that now), at 160 bits each, that leaves 15 bits to each address for the amount of unspent.   Am I calculating something wrong there?  And if this is true, why aren't we doing it already?         
Bitcoin doesn't track "addresses" it tracks txouts. There are currently 10,623,198 txouts and the data is 369,816,656 bytes serialized. And we already are storing it this way (which is why its so easy to produce these numbers, the gettxoutsetinfo rpc provides them).  We just do not have a facility to delete the historical blocks for two reasons:  One we need to add discovery mechanisms to synchronize nodes in a network where every full node doesn't juts have the blocks, and two just basic software engineering of finding all the stats/etc. features that use the historic data and disabling them in this state instead of allowing it to crash.

you could be sending 300Mb seems suboptimal.
Oh you absolutely cannot just send 300MB, your peers could just lie to you and it would be greatly in their short term financial interest to do so (because they could make you accept inflation or spends of non-existing coins). But you can produce this trusted state for yourself and you don't need to store anything else.  ECDSA is cheap, with libsecp256k1 my i7 desktop here validates at almost 6000x the maximum realtime rate for the Bitcoin network.
hashman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:09:57 PM

Oh you absolutely cannot just send 300MB, your peers could just lie to you and it would be greatly in their short term financial interest to do so (because they could make you accept inflation or spends of non-existing coins). But you can produce this trusted state for yourself and you don't need to store anything else.  ECDSA is cheap, with libsecp256k1 my i7 desktop here validates at almost 6000x the maximum realtime rate for the Bitcoin network.

Thanks for your very helpful replies.   There are two issues we are discussing:

1) Cost of downloading & validating full chain
2) Cost of "keeping up" a full node

I guess your machine is 6000x more than adequate enough for task number two Smiley 
My original concern is with number 1. 

In general, do you think we are prepared to cope with these two costs with current software (e.g. core)?  Could you point toward some development task which could help keep these costs down?

Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:37:43 AM

I have considered a restructuring of the blockchain.  I've even written some code, but I've not fully vetted it yet nor used it in earnest.

It adds to the blockchain header  a hash of the UTXO set.  You could use a merkle root instead, but I don't think it buys you anything in this case.

This would make the blockchain header take an extra 16 bytes - which due to the way ASICs work and our desire not to invalidate the ASIC investment out there, would force us to add a 64-byte block to each header, increasing the total size of the blockchain headers by a ratio of 3:2.  

At the same time, add to each transaction a hash of a recent block within whose chain that transaction is valid.  This in turn makes the transactions larger by about 16 bytes each.

What we get in exchange for that is that when you get a transaction, you can look for a block with the matching hash and be absolutely guaranteed that you are not "on the wrong chain" with respect to that transaction.  You look in that block for the UTXO hash.  This links you to a UTXO set which should match the updated set as it was after processing that block, which you can use that to verify that the inputs used by the transaction exist.  Then you look at blocks since the key block to make sure those inputs have not been used by some other transaction.

The result is that unless you're interested in the history and verifying for yourself that the 'deep chain' run from block zero does in fact produce the UTXO tree whose Merkle root you have, you don't have to download all that much of the blockchain.  

When you download the last "confirmation depth" blocks, you can start processing transactions that are valid within that chain -- and you know that you're not on a false chain, at least not as far as those transactions are concerned, because they list the block hash and you have a block with a matching hash.  Likewise, you know that you have the right UTXO set for that block, because the block has the hash for the UTXO set.  That allows you to download the UTXO set directly from an untrusted source, because you can verify for yourself that the hash matches. 

I think that's nyfty, but there is a drawback; by tying each transaction firmly to a particular block so that it is not valid outside of a chain descended from that block, you create a situation in which a transaction can be invalidated by any sufficiently-deep chain reorg.  Lots of people have deep heebie-jeebies about transactions other than double spends ever becoming invalid due to a chain reorg.

In practice I think there's only ever been one chain reorg that spanned more than a hundred blocks, and that was due to a bug; using a database software that couldn't cope with not getting as many file handles as it wanted.  So I'd have no problem with anchoring each transaction to a block 100 blocks previous to where it was to appear in the blockchain.  
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:58:39 AM

I guess your machine is 6000x more than adequate enough for task number two Smiley 

For #1 you don't "need" anything more than the UXTO plus set of pruned merkle trees.   The same optimizations which improve the efficiency of #2 can be used to improve the efficiency of #1 as well.
hashman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:41:32 AM

For #1 you don't "need" anything more than the UXTO plus set of pruned merkle trees.   The same optimizations which improve the efficiency of #2 can be used to improve the efficiency of #1 as well.

Great, so how do we ensure that I am getting a legit UXTO/tree set? 
Where are we now with this stuff?  I.e., can I start up a full honest node to help support the network in an hour or less? 

I imagine there are some problems that could develop should the number of full nodes continue to drop. 

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:44:22 PM

Oh you absolutely cannot just send 300MB, your peers could just lie to you and it would be greatly in their short term financial interest to do so (because they could make you accept inflation or spends of non-existing coins). But you can produce this trusted state for yourself and you don't need to store anything else.  ECDSA is cheap, with libsecp256k1 my i7 desktop here validates at almost 6000x the maximum realtime rate for the Bitcoin network.

Thanks for your very helpful replies.   There are two issues we are discussing:

For #1 you don't "need" anything more than the UXTO plus set of pruned merkle trees.   The same optimizations which improve the efficiency of #2 can be used to improve the efficiency of #1 as well.

Great, so how do we ensure that I am getting a legit UXTO/tree set?  
Where are we now with this stuff?  I.e., can I start up a full honest node to help support the network in an hour or less?  

I imagine there are some problems that could develop should the number of full nodes continue to drop.  

It is a work in progress (like most things related to Bitcoin).  The first step was getting nodes to store locally a pruned version of the blockchain.  The messages used by for inter-node communication will need to be extended to support requesting and sending pruned blocks.  If you have a full block it is relatively simple to compute a pruned version of the block and replace the transactions with placeholders.   However it probably makes more sense to first extend the block messages to support compact representation of the block which replaces the full transactions with just the transaction hashes (txid).  This would also speed up block propagation of new blocks as most nodes already have the set of transactions contained in the block.  Later the compact block message could be compacted further by using placeholders for the transactions which are pruned out of the merkle tree.

One correction to my prior response, all nodes need the genesis block (hardcoded to the client) and blockheaders, to perform basic validation.   This includes SPV clients as well. The good news is the headers are small (~5MB per block year).  The headers prior to the last checkpoint could even be included in the client to speed up bootstrapping.

As for how long would it take to bootstrap a new node from genesis block to fully validated UXTO?  Well that depends on the size of the UXTO.  The good news is the UXTO grows much slower than the full blockchain.  The bad news is that prior to the "dust" rules a lot of outputs were created which likely will never be spent because their value is so much smaller than the cost of spending them. They end up bloating the UXTO.  This is why the dust rules are so important (despite the poutrage from a vocal minority).  Someday it may make sense to allow limited spending with no fee of "old dust" by adding an exception to the high priority rules.  There are also a lot of optimizations that are possible.  In the future boostrapping nodes may take advantage of larger numbers of peers and multithreaded verification engine to receive, verify, and store pruned blocks much faster than they do now.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: