Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:35:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to manage multiple rigs. Mgt program, miner, fallback, etc.  (Read 4673 times)
chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:46:29 PM

For those that run large scale mining opeations what kind of setup do you use to make sure your miners are always on, and with minimal support needed if pool went offline? Right now, I am leaning towards WIn7 for my rigs.

I am having a hard time finding a mining software that works under Win7 with fail-over support.
GuiMiner is popular, but it doesn't have fail-over support for phoenix miners. I like phoenix miner with phatk2 kernel.

Diablo miner has fail-over support, but I am getting a bit lower hash rate than phoenix with phatk2.
Also still trying to figure out how to assign each GPU a different username, so I can track each GPU on the web separately.

Another method is to just run the miners from a batch file. Is there a way to create a batch file to launch the miner, and if it failed to connect, auto reconnect to another pool?

What are your solutions in Linux and Win7?
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:49:12 PM

following ...
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:50:00 PM

Search "BAMT" on this forum.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:52:26 PM

For those that run large scale mining opeations what kind of setup do you use to make sure your miners are always on, and with minimal support needed if pool went offline? Right now, I am leaning towards WIn7 for my rigs.

Use BAMT. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28967.0

I am having a hard time finding a mining software that works under Win7 with fail-over support.
GuiMiner is popular, but it doesn't have fail-over support for phoenix miners. I like phoenix miner with phatk2 kernel.

BAMT has failover support and uses phoenix 1.6.2 with the phatk2 kernel.

Diablo miner has fail-over support, but I am getting a bit lower hash rate than phoenix with phatk2.
Also still trying to figure out how to assign each GPU a different username, so I can track each GPU on the web separately.

BAMT has monitoring tools like mgpumon and gpumon so you do not have to worry about having seperate workers for each video card.

What are your solutions in Linux and Win7?

The best solutions is BAMT. Use it and donate to the creator.

I run over 30Gh and have no issues with this system.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:53:15 PM

BTW, did I mention to use BAMT?  Grin
chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:54:38 PM

ok, BAMT it is! Will take a hard look at it.
teek

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 10:13:36 PM

+1 we are in the process of moving ~20GH over to BAMT, about 10GH is up and running on bamt for the past week or two and I do agree it is nicely done..  Only downfall is the original dev seems to have stopped working on it..  but if you're handy with linux that is not that big of a deal..  The mgpumon program is sweeeet for monitoring your farm from a central console, you can have miners from all over the place report to it as well.. If you set it up right, you can change all your aggregate hashpower on all miners to another pool in 1 minute, literally. 

chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 10:26:03 PM

What if you have machines in MULTIPLE physical locations? Say one at home, another at work, and another at your little data center.
What would be the best way to manage it?
I am thinking installing logmein hamachi, so I can access the rigs remotely. But I am having problem installing hamachi on Linux.
teek

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 10:38:15 PM

What if you have machines in MULTIPLE physical locations? Say one at home, another at work, and another at your little data center.
What would be the best way to manage it?
I am thinking installing logmein hamachi, so I can access the rigs remotely. But I am having problem installing hamachi on Linux.

I haven't even looked at how the miners report, what port or protocol they are using, but if you have miners in multiple locations that have vpn between them like we do, then it's great for multiple physical locations, as long as the miners have a route to the the box running mgpumon..  If you investigate which port(s) to forward and set it up correctly, this could theoretically work without vpn..  As for actually managing the miners, you would have to be able to ssh to them, one way or another..  Theoretically you could  build openvpn into the miners and have them connect back to you as soon as they get internet whereever they go or something like that.. 

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 10:43:08 PM

Is hamachi even available for linux? I use NeoRouter (http://neorouter.com/) because it is cross-platform.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 11:17:05 PM

yes, hamachi is available on windows, linux, and.....ARM!!!!
Downloaded and installed on Ubuntu. It worked this time.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 07:08:04 AM

mgpumon does not allow for monitoring of miners outside of the subnet.

I wonder how hard it would be to modify it.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:40:44 AM

BAMT looks good, but does it support things like dynamic fan and clocks the way cgminer does?
If it doesnt, I would also consider cgminer on linuxcoin. Its essentially maintenance free (pool failover, auto recovery of stalled gpus etc).
Consolidating the information in one screen the way BAMT does is still a bit work in progress, but its getting there. Anubis already lets you monitor (but not configure/manage) all your rigs from a single webpage.

trilby

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 10:06:39 AM

I am after a similar solution. I am wondering if BAMT can also support ZTEX FPGA's
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:54:39 AM

mgpumon does not allow for monitoring of miners outside of the subnet.

I wonder how hard it would be to modify it.

BAMT does support sending mgpumon info to a direct ip address. Please read the docs over at github.
chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 02:50:55 PM

Testing out BAMT.
I try to install the lsb package using
Code:
apt-get install lsb
It gave me error saying it cannot find the link to download.

How do I manually download and install it?
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 07:38:50 PM

Trying to figure how to use BAMT on ABCpool where each miner is a GPU.  The pools part seems to just allow one login.  Guess I need that info on each GPU line?!?

teek

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 07:41:28 PM

Trying to figure how to use BAMT on ABCpool where each miner is a GPU.  The pools part seems to just allow one login.  Guess I need that info on each GPU line?!?

You can have as many pools as you want, add to /etc/bamt/pools one pool per line, if you look at the docs there are timeouts / submitted share thresholds too you can use in that file..

Alternatively, you could specify a separate pool file for each gpu if you so desire..
chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 03:52:08 AM

Testing out BAMT.
I try to install the lsb package using
Code:
apt-get install lsb
It gave me error saying it cannot find the link to download.

How do I manually download and install it?
I solved this. Simply need to do
Code:
apt-get update
first.
The LT

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 08:04:20 PM

Linux + cgminer + mrtg does the job nicely.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: