Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:11:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Maidsafe be used to solve the "storage problem" of Bitcoin's blockchain?  (Read 2352 times)
neuroMode (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:38:49 PM

Just wondering if this is a feasible thing to do down the road?

Myriadcoin - the first multi-PoW blockchain! (Mine with SHA256 [ASICs], Scrypt [GPU/ASICs], Skein [GPUs], Groestl [GPUs], OR Qubit [CPUs/GPUs]).
Myriad Website // Myriad on Reddit || Myriad Android Wallet || Myriad Electrum Wallet || Multi-vPoW and Block "Tips" - Solution to Parasitic Merged Mining
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 02:08:17 AM

Can hyped up non-existent vaporware cure cancer?  Anyone's guess.  I saw and early whitepaper for that and it was full of technobabble and set of my personal sleaze alarms.

What/which "storage problem" are you talking about?
neuroMode (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:41:58 AM

Can hyped up non-existent vaporware cure cancer?  Anyone's guess.  I saw and early whitepaper for that and it was full of technobabble and set of my personal sleaze alarms.

The storage problem of the blockchain becoming terabytes in size and your average person does not have the incentive or means to be a full node. Not sure if this is really a 'problem' problem, though, if some minimum amount of full nodes are plenty for the network to thrive.

Myriadcoin - the first multi-PoW blockchain! (Mine with SHA256 [ASICs], Scrypt [GPU/ASICs], Skein [GPUs], Groestl [GPUs], OR Qubit [CPUs/GPUs]).
Myriad Website // Myriad on Reddit || Myriad Android Wallet || Myriad Electrum Wallet || Multi-vPoW and Block "Tips" - Solution to Parasitic Merged Mining
SemiMolten

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:00:40 AM

The storage problem of the blockchain becoming terabytes in size and your average person does not have the incentive or means to be a full node. Not sure if this is really a 'problem' problem, though, if some minimum amount of full nodes are plenty for the network to thrive.
Use a lightweight client.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 08:30:09 AM

You can run a full node without storing the whole historic block chain. See section 7 of the Bitcoin whitepaper for one approach.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 08:34:00 AM

That would be a deliberate attempt to support the scam.

neuroMode (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:02:05 PM

That would be a deliberate attempt to support the scam.

So the consensus here is that Maidsafe is a scam?

neuroMode (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:05:12 PM

You can run a full node without storing the whole historic block chain. See section 7 of the Bitcoin whitepaper for one approach.

Did not know this. Thanks for the lead.

yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:00:54 PM

Using another cryptocurrency for storing bitcoin blockchain data seems quite strange to me. Imho it's awkward and adds security problems. If necessary, distributed storage capability could also be implemented for bitcoin alone.

Before even discussing this, I think we have yet to see the release of Maidsafe which may be still years away.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Soappa

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:06:34 PM

Right now, the average block size is around 200KB. At 10 minutes a block, the blockchain will grow 10.5 GB a year.
Even at the maximum block size 1 MB, the blockchain will "only" grow 50GB a year.

It will take dozens of years at least to reach terabytes, and the HDD size and internet bandwidth should be a lot better dozens of years later.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: