Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:43:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is stopping Gov't from starting their own blockchain...  (Read 2860 times)
bb113 (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:45:11 AM

thus taking advantage of the utility of bitcoin but leaving all current bitcoin holders with a lesser used (and therefore lower value) currency?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:47:07 AM

Why would they?

Govt = central control and currency issue via "trusted" (LOLZ) third party.
Bitcoin = decentralized, and operated without need for "trusted" third party.
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:48:11 AM

Lets say the government is libertarian.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:49:49 AM

There is no technical reason they couldn't although I am almost certain we will never see any country give up control like that.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:53:20 AM

thus taking advantage of the utility of bitcoin but leaving all current bitcoin holders with a lesser used (and therefore lower value) currency?

I'd say their nature prevents it.

Governments being what they are, some of the key features of Bitcoin (privacy, decentralization, etc.) tend to conflict with their core traits. I doubt any government could resist making slight, then ultimately significant modifications: requiring registration (name, address, SSN) per private key and limiting their number, requiring blocks be verified by a central server, removing the 21M cap, and such.

Even if it was an unmolested clone, once the thing was released, who would use it? And without a supporting infrastructure in place, how could they force anyone to use it?

I don't expect competition from governments to be an issue for Bitcoin anytime soon, if ever.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:58:56 AM

I see what you guys are saying, it still dampens my hope for $1000/bitcoin though. If bitcoin is adopted as legal tender and people complain about the unfairness of early adopters, I could see a government chain being implemented as a feel good solution to the "problem".
Revalin

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 07:34:06 AM

If GovCoin is decentralized like Bitcoin, what would they gain?  They just end up with two coins they can't control instead of one.

If GovCoin is centralized, it's just an electronic version of fiat...  It's your debit card, but run on the government's network instead of the bank's.  That's kind of interesting, but it's not revolutionary.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 07:46:19 AM

If GovCoin is decentralized like Bitcoin, what would they gain?  They just end up with two coins they can't control instead of one.

If GovCoin is centralized, it's just an electronic version of fiat...  It's your debit card, but run on the government's network instead of the bank's.  That's kind of interesting, but it's not revolutionary.

The government would gain nothing other than use of a superior currency. The GovCoin would be perceived as superior because everyone gets to hear about it at the same time so greedy early adopters don't get to profit.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 07:59:05 AM

dampens your hope for 1k/btc?? The get rich quick scheme not fast enough for ya??

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:01:18 AM

It makes hoarding less attractive, yes.
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:23:31 AM

I'd say their nature prevents it.

Governments being what they are, some of the key features of Bitcoin (privacy, decentralization, etc.) tend to conflict with their core traits. I doubt any government could resist making slight, then ultimately significant modifications: requiring registration (name, address, SSN) per private key and limiting their number, requiring blocks be verified by a central server, removing the 21M cap, and such.

Even if it was an unmolested clone, once the thing was released, who would use it? And without a supporting infrastructure in place, how could they force anyone to use it?

I don't expect competition from governments to be an issue for Bitcoin anytime soon, if ever.

This is a good argument against it, though. A government couldn't stop itself from meddling.
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 09:17:08 AM

Why would they?

Govt = central control and currency issue via "trusted" (LOLZ) third party.
Bitcoin = decentralized, and operated without need for "trusted" third party.

Agree completely. Nothing is stopping anyone from creating a block chain, there are already more running around than have yet to show any practical purpose. Why would a government or for that matter anyone else want to?

This is a topic extensively covered elsewhere on this forum. Appropriate head gear is suggested for the various different premises offered. For example you may want 1890s style sleeve garters and a green eye shade cap in one section of the forum, for another a pillowcase with eye holes cut in it, in another a tinfoil hat, and so on.

It's not like a blockchain is all that useful by itself, you can execute transactions in it; that's nice. Attempts to make it useful have created a lot of centralized infrastructure around Bitcoin in particular, the most prominent examples being the currency exchanges. Who would have ever thought that "Magic The Gathering Online eXchange" would seriously be a large part of something that some people seem to regard as their Armageddon ace-in-the-hole?

So, maybe if the US government created something like The Federal National Second Life Mortgage Administration to rescue all the investors underwater on their Second Life properties, they could throw a blockchain in there just for the effect  Grin

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:28:46 AM

I wouldn't use a government control blockchain, would you?  Roll Eyes

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 12:16:09 PM

Why? They wouldn't need all that mining overhead mumbo jumbo, they could just keep one central transactions database.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 01:52:11 PM

Why? They wouldn't need all that mining overhead mumbo jumbo, they could just keep one central transactions database.
I think this is the premise behind various bitcoin-based DRM schemes that have been proposed, actually.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 03:58:46 PM

There's nothing stopping the Gov't starting their own google.com or facebook.com, it's not difficult given their near infinite resources. But can they compete with the original? the answer is probably no.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 04:03:23 PM

Ok, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced its not an issue.
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 04:22:08 PM

nothing would stop them other than why would they in the first place?

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:02:22 PM

A government just couldn't help itself from altering the protocol, thus creating a distinction between Bitcoin and GovCoin. Well, if GovCoin retained much of the utility of Bitcoin, it could still relegate bitcoin to a niche market... Still the government would probably be altering the protocol every few years, etc.
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:21:47 PM

There is no technical reason they couldn't although I am almost certain we will never see any country give up control like that.
I disagree. Bitcoin provides a first-adopter advantage like no other currencies, even for governments. If bitcoin ever becomes big enough, there will be a serious incentive for governments to start accepting them. The first government to do so could secretely buy bitcoins and then boost their value by publicly stating their support. If other governments would follow suit the first-to-adopt-government would gain even more. It's all about the threshold where the expected gain in wealth of adopting bitcoins is valued higher than the expected loss of control. Thus this would most logically happen in a third world country where the government already have little control over their currency.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: